IGNORED

Djay or Traktor 2 for Ipad????

TheBro

Which one guys? Djay has Spotify integration which I think is very handy and Traktor has Soundcloud which seems less powerful. What's the best one also the upcoming Ipad OS means disk streaming via usb I hope on both platforms?

Never heard of Djay but it seems to have a shitload (more than 11,000) of (positive) reviews in the appstore and it looks like it was specifically designed for mobile devices? Traktor obviously wasn't designed for mobile devices but it's been ported, no idea how well it's been implemented but there are only 95 reviews in the appstore so use seems to be a lot less widespread. Personally I would probably never use the soundcloud integration but at the same time I probably couldn't dj with a mobile device anyway. 

If it's something you wanna do for fun the spotify integration in traktor seems like a great idea because you don't have to spend any additional money on music. For me it'd result in a tyranny of choice situation (especially when improvising a set, fucking hell) and I prefer to buy the music I play.  

Maybe if you give a bit more info on what your motivations and goals are wrt ipad djing it'd be slightly easier to give an opinion. 

If you want some hands on control but don't want to buy a controller another thing to consider would be to get traktor for your laptop and use touchosc on your ipad to control it which would be quite powerful and you could design your own controller layout in touchosc which combined with traktor's powerful midi implementation means you can sort of build your own controller with the functionality you want. 

I used to use traktor a lot and part of the appeal for me was getting cheap midi controllers and making my own midi configurations with macro's and shift functions to control the 4 decks and effects in a way that seemed intuitive to me so that when you're playing a set you can go crazy with looping and experimenting.           

As someone who's very familiar with both...Djay by a wide margin.

Traktor DJ's only recently upgraded to what acts as even a halfway normal DJ setup. In the past there was no pitch fader, for instance. Traktor is great on a computer but has a ways to go on mobile devices.

Djay also has the advantage of being able to mix from the Spotify library if you have a Spotify premium account. This advantage alone is enough for me to say Djay wins objectively. 

With that all said, if you don't care about manual beatmatching and just want the more modern accouterments (looping, sampling, auto-sync, key lock, etc.), there are better apps out there than either Djay or Traktor. DJDJ immediately comes to mind (the developer is awesome):  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/djdj-mixing-app/id1093437440

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I want to try and get back into DJing just see how I feel about it as I'm primarily a producer.

I've downloaded Djay and Traktor and actually paid for both before. That said I was never entirely satisfied with either but the Spotify integration within Djay seems very powerful and things do move on. Soundcloud just doesn't have the wealth of music that Spotify has in short. I'm going to give both a fair test run though. I just hope that with Ipad OS coming out tomorrow that usb drive integration will make the picture clearer.

Archived