IGNORED

What kind of Home Audio setup do you have.

Banffspring72

I have a dynaco st-70 tube amp with dynaco a25 speakers. It's the sound of the 70's. All about a thousand dollars added up, but it sounds incredible. Very 3d. Not to sound too cliche

On 10/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, marf said:

I have a dynaco st-70 tube amp with dynaco a25 speakers. It's the sound of the 70's. All about a thousand dollars added up, but it sounds incredible. Very 3d. Not to sound too cliche

Which series is it? I love the idea of a unit with silky EL34 tubes but there aren't a lot of options for headphones. The 3D feel in a good tube amp is unbeatable. 

5 hours ago, chim said:

Which series is it? I love the idea of a unit with silky EL34 drivers but there aren't a lot of options for headphones. The 3D feel in a good tube amp is unbeatable. 

Stock st-70. I don't know how you'd setup a headphone system. Im sure there is tons of info out there. Have a tech go over it. Add a snub capacitor on the on / off switch to eliminate the pop with you turn the amp off. It can hurt your speakers. Tell your tech. Also, get 6U8 to 7199 Adapter for those little tubes in the front. 6U8 are less rare tubes. You have to fiddle with the bias settings on occasion.  So you need a cheap multimeter and a screw driver.  Any good tech will be glad to help you and shouldn't charge more than 150.

I wrap raw wire on the speaker screws on the back. You can use other methods to attach to the screws to the speaker wire.

Its def a sound you can almost touch and the separation is amazing. Worth the investment. Just takes some learning

12 hours ago, marf said:

Stock st-70. I don't know how you'd setup a headphone system. Im sure there is tons of info out there. Have a tech go over it. Add a snub capacitor on the on / off switch to eliminate the pop with you turn the amp off. It can hurt your speakers. Tell your tech. Also, get 6U8 to 7199 Adapter for those little tubes in the front. 6U8 are less rare tubes. You have to fiddle with the bias settings on occasion.  So you need a cheap multimeter and a screw driver.  Any good tech will be glad to help you and shouldn't charge more than 150.

I wrap raw wire on the speaker screws on the back. You can use other methods to attach to the screws to the speaker wire.

Its def a sound you can almost touch and the separation is amazing. Worth the investment. Just takes some learning

It's probably best to go for a dedicated headphone amp. A lot of them are self biasing. There are a few cool manufacturers but most high end amps use exotic tube configs, a lot of big lightbulbs. I have a Feliks Echo OTL unit that uses two 6922 for drivers (rather unassuming 6n6p's in output stage) . It's really awesome, the only reason I'd consider dropping even more moolah on an amp. 6922's are detail beasts and really open up the soundstage but they're a tad bright and the NOS market is super limited. Old Amperexes and specialty Siemens are the only ones worth considering and there are plenty of "dud batches". A well known & reputable dealer I asked had two mismatched Amperexes and a bunch of average junk (70s tungsram etc). There's a holy grail set of Siemens from the 60's but they're ridiculously expensive. Russian ones are sturdy and plentiful... they take forever to break in. 

I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon but I've noticed the US based Decware makes an SET unit with a optional headphone jack that uses EL34 and 6922's, looks like a cool combo. 

Archived