IGNORED

Kettel - Lawless place

YangYing

More info:

Excited to announce The Outlaw Ocean Music Project, which is an innovative collaboration that melds music with journalism. I’ve enjoyed being a part of this project with Ian Urbina.

My upcoming release “Lawless Place” inspired by his book “The Outlaw Ocean” is out now everywhere: www.theoutlawoceanmusic.com/artists/kettel

Without dismissing the importance of the stories in The Outlaw Ocean, I am most interested in Ian’s lifestyle and reporting adventures. Reporters don’t often focus on themselves in their work, which is understandable, but I do wonder about Ian’s own experience regularly. I like when he includes details such as his immediate getaway backpack containing items like cash and a satellite phone. I’ve had my own share of surreal experiences around the world, but I cannot imagine what it is like to one day be at home, and the next to be sitting on a skiff in Ghanaian waters.

Aside from Ian’s personal experience, I am horrified by the story of Lang Long, who, in the search for a better life, is tricked into slavery. His story shows that the slavery I associate with the past— whereby people are chained by the neck, work in grueling conditions, and are flogged by their ‘owners’—is still occurring. Long’s story is a complete slap in the face. What makes it so bleak is the fact that it’s not just a few evil people committing crimes; rather there are huge machinations that allow criminals to get away with these acts.

It’s a challenge to translate a book, especially a nonfiction one, into music. My goal is not to dictate people’s emotions, but to make them feel spiritually connected to the book’s setting and atmosphere. To do this, I chose to use Ian’s field recordings as the building blocks, or DNA, for my work. While some parts of my music interpret various situations in the book, others pinpoint an event directly. This is a very cool experiment, and I love that there is now a connection between the music and the book. Hopefully, listeners will be interested to learn what inspires the music and this will lead them to Ian’s amazing work. www.theoutlawoceanmusic.com/artists/kettel

I uploaded this track to yt but unlisted it because I'm not sure they want it floating around the interwebs just yet

but anyway, I'm in love w this track.. feels really really fresh

Archived