IGNORED

Generative Music

Sam

It's music that warps the time-space continuum, effectively folding a paper box around a street light and setting it all ablaze in glorious demonstrations of acrobatics and guzzling, reducing your very self to mere specks of bird. Now then, for the root of the gas lead tie-wraps:

Hmmm. The first person I asked used the street lamp analogy, and that's what I think is throwing me off. Can you elaborate?

(Edit - ta for the second post)

Ah, you seek analogies. Well then; You make the frame, someone else paints - your instrument is the whip to steer your painting-slave. You set the borders, you plant the seeds.. the land grows within your borders.. You trip over multiple dimensions of rockwool, others try to roll Within, catch my drift?

• 2 weeks later...

art = a load of shit

yeah, i guess i reached that conclusion when i dropped out of art college, full of pretentious twats. sensitive, emo, pretentious twats.

yeah but art college have nothing to do with art

• 1 month later...

I've listened to a heck of a lot of later [post-chiastic slide] era Ae in the last couple of months and I finally can see why they get fucked off when interviewers ask about their generative stuff. The intricacies of the percussion and the general flow between sections of each track I'm sure could only be done by hand. I personally believe that very little of their stuff is generative, it may start off with generative experimentation but I'm pretty sure that a huge bulk of it is hand composed.

I personally believe that very little of their stuff is generative, it may start off with generative experimentation but I'm pretty sure that a huge bulk of it is hand composed.

i've come to the same conclusion although my past comments may say differently :innocent: . The only song that sounds like a mostly generative work is the one off EP7. Of course even that track had a lot of handmade eq, compression and those sonic decimating effects. However all the sequencing, melodic lines, and percussion sequences are straight from that maxmsp patch. And who knows might have taken way longer to make that patch than most of their totally non-generative tracks.

I've listened to a heck of a lot of later [post-chiastic slide] era Ae in the last couple of months and I finally can see why they get fucked off when interviewers ask about their generative stuff. The intricacies of the percussion and the general flow between sections of each track I'm sure could only be done by hand. I personally believe that very little of their stuff is generative, it may start off with generative experimentation but I'm pretty sure that a huge bulk of it is hand composed.

I would disagree, the music I've heard which I know is generative. flows as well or better than anything else I've ever heard, it being based on precise formulas and such.

I would disagree, the music I've heard which I know is generative. flows as well or better than anything else I've ever heard, it being based on precise formulas and such.

what music have you heard that you know is generative you would describe this way?

what music have you heard that you know is generative you would describe this way?

Well if I understand what generative music is, which I'm still not sure I do, a really good example is an EP called SCPT, which can be found on this website (in the projects section) emd Records . Stick it on with some good headphones, really been blowing me away recently

check out slub, they create and manipulate their own software live, plus they release most of it for free. shame it hasn't been updated in a while. if you check out their individual webspaces there are links to interviews/articles/manifestos that might clear the air a bit for you.

check out slub, they create and manipulate their own software live, plus they release most of it for free. shame it hasn't been updated in a while. if you check out their individual webspaces there are links to interviews/articles/manifestos that might clear the air a bit for you.

damn this is some good shit!! reminds me of farmers manual with a dose of rave. i need to get into contact with these African Americans

i read in ae interview that code spose (confield#1) is just a recording of a generative process, also if you're into generative music (or recordings of generative music) check january00003 or something by brian eno, its really good (bell/ambient sounds).

Well if I understand what generative music is, which I'm still not sure I do, a really good example is an EP called SCPT, which can be found on this website (in the projects section) emd Records . Stick it on with some good headphones, really been blowing me away recently

this is very nice indeed, but i think i was expecting you to show me some beat oriented or more traditional generative music. This to me is more generative ambient, whilst i would still consider it music i dont think it displays the true power of all-generative music that strongly (sorry to sound like a pompous dickhole)

here is a guy i have always been very impressed by, David Cope. He writes computer programs to create generative new scores in the style of dead classical composers.

check out his 5,000 Bach series here

and also here is a bunch of examples of his post-chopin, post-mozart, etc series here

what id love to hear someone pull of is an actual realistic sounding drum & bass/or vnsnares style generative composer. I think it can easily be done. I tried making one myself and this was the result auto ragga jungle. I think it was kind of a failure which is why id like to see someone take the concept much further.

Archived