IGNORED

Pixies - Doolittle (25th Anniversary Reissue)

Rubin Farr

I'll be glad to have those complete Peel Sessions in (presumably) good quality. I really think the Peel versions of 'Tame' and 'There Goes My Gun' are superior to those that ended up on the album. I'm old enough to remember buying 'Doolittle' on release day and being excited as fuck to hear it after 'Surfer Rosa' and 'Come On Pilgrim'. I still love all three today, so ordered the triple CD without thinking or checking my overdraft.

Got to say though, the just-about passing interest I had in their reforming post-Kim has now completely gone. Not heard 'Indie Cindy' and have no inclination to change that.

I look forward to this. Doolittle is my favorite album of theirs. It'll be good to have some unheard music that's actually good after that lackluster new album.

[N]o Kim, no Pixies.

This was me a few months ago, wasn't interested at all when I first heard Bagboy and EP1 or whatever it was called. But when they released everything as a full album it grew on me somehow. I still think it's uneven but there are probably enough tracks I like to keep it interesting from start to finish. Come to think of it, Indie Cindy is one of two, maybe three rock albums I've listened to more than once this year.

The album has also made me realize that Kim Deal's contributions to the Pixies were mostly as a performer (a very good one at that), Gigantic is the only track I can think of right now where she actually has any writing credit. Blackie was always the real creative force behind them so I've decided I don't really mind him using the band name.

I don't have a problem with carrying on as Pixies without her, I just lost interest after hearing Bagboy and some of the EP tracks. But then again, I thought Bam Thwok was pretty poor as well in spite of her. I agree with her being a performer overall, but Kim did have a few good moments though, Into The White is a superb track and she did a good job of I've Been Waiting For You.

The Doolittle reunion tour was amazing & should have been their send off, but they were a chaotic band, Black always threatened to walk off stage, and usually Kim would be the peacemaker just to get the show finished. Btw this was the 2nd time I had seen him pull his childish bullshit and walk off. She probly just had enough even with all the money thrown at them.

The Doolittle reunion tour was amazing & should have been their send off, but they were a chaotic band, Black always threatened to walk off stage, and usually Kim would be the peacemaker just to get the show finished. Btw this was the 2nd time I had seen him pull his childish bullshit and walk off. She probly just had enough even with all the money thrown at them.

This is why I kept waffling on whether or not to see them live when I had the opportunity. I don't understand that guy's attitude.

I saw The Breeders on their Last Splash XX tour last year, and they were really great. Kim always has a great attitude and knows how to endear the crowd.

Archived