IGNORED

this instrument

Nobody asked, but I had a real shit set up before for any accurate mixing. Not that it's perfect now, but having a dedicated production sound interface makes a load of difference. Doesn't matter how awesome your monitors or headphones are if it's not accurately reflecting what you hear. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 8:14 PM, cricketbones said:

It's been a while, so I hope it's not uncouth to start a new thread for this new slower jam I made. 

I love the textures too. This track is begging for a melody!

On 5/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, cricketbones said:

I made another slower (dub?) like track while still getting used to my new setup.

Definitely dub vibes. This track is great. But like the previous one, my ears want to hear some lead element come in, whether that be a melody, a repeating vocal sample, or a really tight beat on top of the sludgy dub beat. Or not. Telling me to go fuck myself is valid too. 

I found a massive (file size) old video of myself playing live with probably an athlon cpu and burdened by restless leg syndrome. I am mixing only with a mouse and glitch, it seems. this video is probably embarrassing, but maybe better than the soundcloud shit I link here. It's a fairly large google drive big video file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lMH8RzxMKgyIlNjbNUyXcck0iUGBOaKN/view?usp=drive_link

Nobody asked for this, but i think it's a crazy time capsule from my past. for context, this is Toronto with an historic snow storm happening outside in march and everyone there showed up despite that.  Everyone in this video is potentially high and/or drunk as fuck, aside from me trying to chug an Amsterdam when a xanax would do. Almost certain that the beer I drink was my payment.  

On 5/24/2023 at 11:41 PM, cricketbones said:

I made another slower (dub?) like track while still getting used to my new setup.

I like this dubby stuff.. 

Im also a experimental dub head 

The soundcloud tracks can be downloaded and obviously sound a bit better than straight off the site, but expansive melodies are difficult for me, if that's what anyone here is looking for. I just love that this is a place you can share your stuff as a hobbyist and get feedback at all and it makes me feel guilty for not giving more feedback myself when there is great music here. 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:14 PM, cricketbones said:

It's been a while, so I hope it's not uncouth to start a new thread for this new slower jam I made. 

Enjoyed this, nice Tomorrow's Harvest vibes ?

On 5/11/2023 at 2:14 AM, cricketbones said:

Definite influences but I think this tune stands on it's own merits, strong melodies and lush reverb, you can't go wrong.  Thanks for sharing.

Dude, this is good! Nice depth of texture to the whole thing. I do agree with Alzado, a melody would tie the whole thing up.

What setup changes did you make to up your mixing? 

2 hours ago, Maisal said:

Dude, this is good! Nice depth of texture to the whole thing. I do agree with Alzado, a melody would tie the whole thing up.

What setup changes did you make to up your mixing? 

different meds.

To be serious I got a a focusright scarlett and remembered what good audio latency and cpu usage was since I've been using an audiophile card with overpriced op-amps in it with terrible driver support. 

19 hours ago, cricketbones said:

different meds.

Ha! Been there buddy. Clarity is a nice thing.

11 hours ago, cricketbones said:

To be serious I got a a focusright scarlett and remembered what good audio latency and cpu usage was since I've been using an audiophile card with overpriced op-amps in it with terrible driver support. 

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the HX Stomp recently and its a joy to have zero latency, plus the 8 in and out doesn't hurt, plus plus is has all the effects on it, including a moogerfooger ?

Maybe I should have explained that the truffle unshuffle original jam was something I made as a 'trippy' gift for for my friend's birthday, which happens to also be 420 and Hitler's bday. 

Then I wasn't happy with it, tried to make it like Scorn or the like instead of walking away.  It doesn't make the tracks any better, but maybe the context makes it slightly less or more interesting. 

Edited by cricketbones

• 1 month later...

I really like this, great moody bass, textures and atmospherics. Nicely produced and mastered too.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, th555 said:

Thanks, always gotta be on the lookout for some oldschool software.

i only used it to mask some transitions, but sometimes you get excited and push the buttons more and more. I plan to put the video or audio of the live set back up, but it needs to be smaller.