IGNORED

101 jus arrived

pcock

i'd be glad about you having the time of your life if you hadn't just said fuck you.

you should appreciate people taking the time to give you advice, even if you end up disagreeing with it. that's my advice.

okay sorry mate it was just annoying that i stated in my first post of that thread i dont care about soft synths and then at least 12 people told me to stick to them

whatdo i need to put this in my pc,anyone

Guest taxman

in my setup i have all my gear going into a mixer/4 track and then from there i have a line going to the mic jack on my sound card and i record it into acid pro. the other out on the mixer goes to a receiver/ speakers.

edit: i thought you would like the 101. good choice.

ffs, ive just given a perfectly good mixer away for 10 quid because i thought i had no use for it, i bought belt drive technics for 4 spliffs and hated them profusely and gave the whole lot away so i could get dominoes.

cheers btw, i thought i was gonna need some expensive fuckin interface box or something.

one more thing, the guy didnt give me a power cable, but said on ebay any old 9-12 volt adapter would do, but then on the actual thing theres a little hologram which says only Boss SA40 or some shit can be used, and that thing will set me back 25 quid at least

any ideas which is right, im geussing the actual synth but hoping not.

Guest man with no name
ffs, ive just given a perfectly good mixer away for 10 quid because i thought i had no use for it, i bought belt drive technics for 4 spliffs and hated them profusely and gave the whole lot away so i could get dominoes.

cheers btw, i thought i was gonna need some expensive fuckin interface box or something.

one more thing, the guy didnt give me a power cable, but said on ebay any old 9-12 volt adapter would do, but then on the actual thing theres a little hologram which says only Boss SA40 or some shit can be used, and that thing will set me back 25 quid at least

any ideas which is right, im geussing the actual synth but hoping not.

if you use anything other than the boss SA40 then your sh 101 will blow up! good luck getting the SA40, i heard they got for big $$$ on ebay

Tecnically you'll only need the 1/4" to 1/8" if your sound card has a 1/8" line in. I'd assume it does, but you never know!

The quality will also be shit by the way. Further still, you're limited to what you can play on your own with the keyboard under this setup. You could get a PC midi interface and a Midi to CV converter, which makes this a bit more expensive, to aleviate that problem. However, this then becomes a pretty expensive proposition (which is probably why people suggested you stick with something cheaper and more flexible to begin with).

I can certainly understand having more fun with a physical unit it front of you. But why not a hardware controller for a softsynth? Or even just a more modern, cheaper, perhaps VA synth? A Nord Lead 2 would have more buttons and knobs, and be alot easier to work with to boot. Sounds great too. Don't get me wrong, the SH-101 is a neat little piece of gear, it just seems a bit difficult to put up with and well, downright niche market for a beginner.

I would suggest reading up on the basics of Synthesis and Production. I'm not saying read the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook cover to cover or anything, just maybe read some sites and get a bit more familiar on subtractive synthesis/parts of a synth, MIDI/CV control, and how basic studio processing is accomplished? Might not be a bad way to start here...

what? the quality wont necessarily be shit. it sounds just fine when i do it.

anyone serious about recording their instruments really shouldn't be using the 1/8" shit line-in on your computer.

that's just laughable.

Guest 死んでく

Nice one.

On my SH101 I often use a generic adaptor which has multiple settings for 9v/12v and different polarity and whatever. Just make sure the settings match the SH101 and you should be fine. My synth has never exploded... even when I left it on for a week straight. Who is telling porkies then? Must be the Roland who wanted to make more profit by selling their own adaptors.

1/4" to 1/8" should be fine for now. If you don't like the quality and it sounds crappy to your ears, then you might want to buy an audio interface for your PC. Something like the Soundblaster Livedrive would work. It depends on if you mind buying an old soundcard. People saying the quality is not enough probably read too much magazines like Sound-on-Sound and other stuff which concentrates on the latest fashions and being theoretically the best instead of just enjoying what you're doing.

There's another way. You can buy a female 1/4" to male 1/8" adaptor to plug onto the end of your audio cable. Plug the audio cable into the SH101, plug the other end into the dick changer, then plug the dick changer into your sound card.

Try this sound:

Just have the square wave on. Turn the pulsewidth up. Set the lfo to modulate the pulsewidth on a slow setting. Nice bass!! Mm my favourite.

I have a four track mixer for sale for £40 including postage to UK. Up to you if you want it. It's Spirit Folio I think. http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/SNAMM...er/notepad.html dont need it because I have a 12 track mixer

Guest taxman

anyone serious about recording their instruments really shouldn't be using the 1/8" shit line-in on your computer.

that's just laughable.

oh fuck you

maybe i have a better than average sound card built in or something but it works great

theres no way i'm spending money on some m-audio usb bullshit

Guest man with no name

that's just laughable.

oh fuck you

maybe i have a better than average sound card built in or something but it works great

yea it sounds nice to me too...just as long as I set the proper volume levels on my synths/soundcard then I'm all set.

that's just laughable.

oh fuck you

because m-audio and usb are the be all and end all of audio, right? :ok:

not to be an ass, but if you're gonna be serious about this, I wouldn't want the frequency and dynamic range of my 400 dollar analog classic limited by a shitty interface... could just be me though. not to mention the shitty noise floor.

Also, wouldn't you want an accurate representation of your synth (being recorded) and your track (when playing back through said interface)

But y'kno. Whatever.

I can understand if you don't want to spend money... but if you're spending it, you should probably spend it well, eh?

Guest taxman

so have you done any recording? what did you use then? or were you calling me laughable without having any experience yourself?

Well, I say it will sound like shit because I used to do it, and it sounded like shit. Back in the day all I had was a Nord Lead and a Sound Blaster card and Impulse Tracker. I sampled the Nord in via the sound blaster's 1/8" jack to use in Impulse Tracker. It sounded like shit, what else can I say? If it's all you have then great, do whatever it takes, I was just mentioning that it will sound like shit and you'll want to do something different with it eventually.

M-Audio cards sound nice, I own a Delta-66 and I've also used a couple of Echo cards. Basically as long as the A/D converters aren't ones you'd find in a box of cracker jacks and they are placed well away from the inside of the computer, and data then piped over a big thick shielded cable, this will end up sounding quite a bit better than the SB Live solution.

so have you done any recording? what did you use then? or were you calling me laughable without having any experience yourself?

well, the limited recording I have done was with a motu 828mkII

which, honestly, isn't too great either, but it'd be quite a fucklot better than any standard soundcard.

I'm just talking common knowledge hear, I'm not saying you need apogee converters or anything... just a bit more than onboard (if you want to preserve the quality and dynamics and frequencies of what you're recording, if you don't then don't worry about it)

Archived