IGNORED

Star Wars Sound Design

Guest môak

Guest Mr. Magoo

so i was wondering what anyone has to say about the sound design of star wars!

how was it done, who done it etc...

i know that the sound recordist guy didnt use synths to my knowledge but real-life things, like tapping on wires, or to get the saber sound he put a mic near an amp or something like that?

if anyone has any knowledge on how they got some of the sound please give the method.

Guest Captain Cooper

This is a secret and I may be hunted down by the Secret Rulers of the Universe for saying it, but... well...

*deep breath*

Star Wars was a documentary.

the lightsaber was made from some old humming fan

tie fighters were mixed elephant and jeep screeching on a wet road

tanks in the modern episodes were an electric razor in a steel bowl

very little in the SW movies are synthesis, aside from R2-D2 (made from an arp 2600)

Guest greenbank

if you move a pickup coil closer to and further away from a transformer (PSU in my pc does ok for this) then you can get a vague approximation of the saber swooshy sounds.

almost all sounds effects in movies etc. are made entirely from other sounds recorded and played back slow/fast/reversed or carefully edited and mixed together to make the sounds. kinda boring really - no synths, no mad effects, just really careful editing and choices of sounds.

Guest Adjective

i have a CD full of field samples recorded for use in Star Wars sound design, or 'leftovers' i'm not sure. somewhere lost in my room

One of my lecturers said that the millenium falcon is some old biplane recording messed around with or something like that.

WUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAARRRUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest brachiosaur

very little in the SW movies are synthesis, aside from R2-D2 (made from an arp 2600)

i'm trying hard to imagine what an elephant on a wet road sounds like

i'm trying hard to imagine what an elephant on a wet road sounds like

kinda like a brachiosaur on the fresh dewy everglades

almost all sounds effects in movies etc. are made entirely from other sounds recorded and played back slow/fast/reversed or carefully edited and mixed together to make the sounds. kinda boring really - no synths, no mad effects, just really careful editing and choices of sounds.

imagine my disappointment when i applied for sound communications and realized that. :\

but yeah, almost all of it's just altered field recordings or live recordings of some sort, kinda bleh

i think it's probably better that way... same as some directors not liking to use cg or photographers wanting to get all the shadows using lights rather than photoshop. reality gives you the unexpected, and the unexpected is interesting.

Archived