IGNORED

Colleen

I love this woman :heart:

“It seemed like a dream opportunity to explore further the miniature continent of sound that music boxes in all their variety generate” says Colleen’s Cécile Schott in response to the carte blanche handed to her by national radio station France Culture’s Atelier De Création Radiophonique to record music for a special broadcast. The commission would have remained just that, but Schott was so pleased with the results she decided to give the nod for the recordings to be released on this 38-minute mini-album.

No stranger to the use of music boxes in her recordings and live performance, the consciously limited palette yields extraordinary dividends; this is arguably the most intimate and wonderfully melodic release of her career to date. Composed entirely using music boxes (but for one track), the pieces use everything from miniature boxes hidden in 1940s birthday cards to large Victorian boxes. Not content with the orthodox sounds produced by the boxes, Schott hijacked them, playing them with her fingers or with mallets on the comb. She re-sampled and affected pitch and delay in a quest to produce unique sounds and melodies.

Utilising the natural loop in each box, the different boxes move in and out of time, evoking memories of childhood. This playful nature ebbs and flows throughout the EP like a stream unsure of its chosen path. Sounds reminiscent of harps (‘What Is A Componium? Part 2’), xylophones and Fender Rhodes (‘Your Heart Is So Loud’), and electronics (‘Calypso In A Box’) appear and then disappear on the landscape, fooling the listener into believing that the noises emanate from more than one type of instrument.

This 14-track EP will provide refreshing new material for those anticipating Colleen’s third long player, scheduled for release in early 2007. The material is all new with the exception of the final track, ‘I’ll Read You A Story’, which can also be found on 2005’s The Golden Morning Breaks.

I really gave "The Golden Morning Breaks" several good chances but I couldn't find it more than interesting...

"Floating in the Clearest Night" is probably my favorite track off this record.

Looking forward to this nonetheless.

Guest pantsonmyhead

i <3 colleen deeply

it really took being so fucked up on morphine that i couldn't change the disk to get through the golden morning breaks all the way

but it was totally worth it by the end of the happy sea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived