IGNORED

prepared paino pieces

Guest AOOproductions

Guest Sobe1234
Anyone know if I'm right in saying Aphex used a midi grand piano on the piano pieces? Personally I love the piano tracks. The recordings are very detailed like he must have used loads of microphones in different bits of the piano to get different effects. The sound is very detailed and the melodies are just beautiful. Superb.

yeah, i said that in another thread. It was all over the interviews... One of the few times he was being truthful...

That's cool. I don't get the time to read all the threads and interviews. The piano must've cost a fair bit...

Well you are right in any case. You can even hear that he miced (presumably) the actual keyboard of the piano because you can actually hear the keys being pressed! Talk about detail! That is sick as fuck!

It's a disklavier that he could program with his laptop. Look it up. :mellow:

Guest Barricade
Anyone know if I'm right in saying Aphex used a midi grand piano on the piano pieces? Personally I love the piano tracks. The recordings are very detailed like he must have used loads of microphones in different bits of the piano to get different effects. The sound is very detailed and the melodies are just beautiful. Superb.

yeah, i said that in another thread. It was all over the interviews... One of the few times he was being truthful...

That's cool. I don't get the time to read all the threads and interviews. The piano must've cost a fair bit...

Well you are right in any case. You can even hear that he miced (presumably) the actual keyboard of the piano because you can actually hear the keys being pressed! Talk about detail! That is sick as fuck!

aphex is lol'ing @ you cuz he used VSTi's ...

Yeah, for sure, and why did you join just to confirm something they already said?

• 7 months later...

have you seen the rolling stones magazine review for drukqs on their website? THEY GAVE IT A 1 OUT OF 5. thats dumb

Guest AOOproductions
5xj9zzb.png

*Dramatization

I havn't gone into this thread in ages until it came up today. But this picture has to be the greatest drawing ever produced by a WATMM member. So fucking hysterical.

have you seen the rolling stones magazine review for drukqs on their website? THEY GAVE IT A 1 OUT OF 5. thats dumb

Thats the most notable one, but also pitchfork flamed drukqs to death. I hate Pitchfork... some reviewers are great and others are gay. Probably the most inconsistent critics on the web. In think drukqs is more well recieved now, just as SAW2 is.

Thats the most notable one, but also pitchfork flamed drukqs to death. I hate Pitchfork... some reviewers are great and others are gay. Probably the most inconsistent critics on the web. In think drukqs is more well recieved now, just as SAW2 is.

The problem is, most reviewers are overpaid cunts who don't have any knowledge of past or present electronic music and the processes involved in creating such music.

i just think they are boring tracks, and i also thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to link his own music to the experimental world especially with the damn piano on the cover. His music is experimental and innovative enough for him not to make such force fed trying to be 'avant-garde' tracks. they felt very very forced to me, the piano ones by themselves are ok but the prepared piano tracks no.

-ghostbusters III

sorry to respond to this so late, but "i also thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to link his own music to the experimental world..." ???

these pieces possess obvious tonality, melodic strength and succinct structure; qualities that are lacking in more 'academic' exercises in prepared piano, such as those developed by henry cowell and john cage. do you not hear the piano, or piano-based melodies in other aphex twin music? is it not reasonable to affect an instrument (in this case, "preparing" a piano to get a new variety of percussive sounds and timbres) to achieve more desirable effects? your comment just comes off as ignorant. your perception of the drukqs tracks as a supposed "force fed" attempt to "cash in" on the "avant garde" is ridiculous. even if they are a possible homage, there's no need to assign some fantastic pretension to it.

Archived