IGNORED

prepared paino pieces

Guest AOOproductions

Guest AOOproductions

I am talking about the media and critics. And then there are the people who are so called "music scholars" who say they are awful and badly done and that they listen to artists like John Cage and he didn't do em justice. But the main thing that gets me angry though, is when people seem to think RDJ had no business at all at even attempting making tracks like these, that PISSES me off. I think tracks like Avril 14th, jynweythek ylow, Nanou2, Petiatil Cx Htdui and QKThr are beautiful tracks and even though they are incredibly simplistic and aided with digital equipment and are supposedly "copying", they somehow manage to sound much more organic to me that anything I've ever heard before.

Guest earlgrey

no idea why they weren't well received, I think they're excellent - I subsequently looked into the work of John Cage and the fantastic Eri[c/k] Satie because of DrukQs, I thought RDJ's pieces were thoughtful, humble tributes to earlier pioneers and I loved the contrasting juxtaposition of them (simple, rigidly structured, brief) with cutting-edge expansive freeform drill.

My favourite track from the album is Gwely Mernans though - goddamn I could use a SAW III ... and, hmmm, RDJ has been focusing on analogue equipment and early-to-mid-90s-sounding material...

critics are ghey. Drukqs rules.

this wouldnt be unlike how every watmm member constantly bashes anything that sounds remotely industrial?

What they say ^.

AND

Now I can't say the piano pieces are among my favorite songs on Drukgs because that would mean picking out SOME when they all are great, but I will say this, I sure love those piano pieces on Drukqs!

Guest mrcopyandpaste
critics are ghey. Drukqs rules.

this wouldnt be unlike how every watmm member constantly bashes anything that sounds remotely industrial?

What they say ^.

AND

Now I can't say the piano pieces are among my favorite songs on Drukgs because that would mean picking out SOME when they all are great, but I will say this, I sure love those piano pieces on Drukqs!

what they all say ^.

agreed 303

Guest titsworth_courier

yeah, they're beautiful works, especially the last 2 tracks on disc 1. i never understood the backlash against them and the album in general. i'm disappointed richard hasn't followed up with more (and "more advanced" as the rumor went) piano pieces but with the reaction the first batch received, i can understand why.

Guest analord skywalker
yeah, they're beautiful works, especially the last 2 tracks on disc 1. i never understood the backlash against them and the album in general. i'm disappointed richard hasn't followed up with more (and "more advanced" as the rumor went) piano pieces but with the reaction the first batch received, i can understand why.

So has anyone got an example of this media backlash? I don't recall seeing a single thing slating the piano pieces.

Guest titsworth_courier

i didn't say MEDIA backlash against the piano works. in fact, i did mean fans. i didn't read many reviews of 'drukqs' so maybe some did single out the piano, i don't know. the reviews of the album that i did read tended to be mediocre though, which i found perplexing.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

just to play devils advocate... here you have a guy who writes a track about how he would like some milk from the "milk man's wife's tits" and makes "dance music" for ravers and other n'er do wells who, suddenly, should be taken seriously because he name drops satie and cage and sticks a few bits and bobs in his yamaha player piano and records it.

you lot just got caught with your pants down with your rock-hard fanboy members in hand.

After being enlightened by Drukqs I searched for reviews and there were a bunch of pretentious assholes who thought the piano pieces were "aimless and in vain" <--STFU you are aimless and in vain! Also all these people claim that Drukqs is a rambling wreck of an album. I think Drukqs is perhaps the most precisely laid out album I have ever heard. Everything fits into place perfectly, an example is stuff like having "Bbydhyonchord" right before "Cock-Ver10" and maybe "Bit 4" right before "Meltphace 6" its all just perfect and I don't care what some English cock "who has been listening to electronic music since it first emerged" has to say. Drukqs delivers.

I am talking about the media and critics. And then there are the people who are so called "music scholars" who say they are awful and badly done and that they listen to artists like John Cage and he didn't do em justice. But the main thing that gets me angry though, is when people seem to think RDJ had no business at all at even attempting making tracks like these, that PISSES me off. I think tracks like Avril 14th, jynweythek ylow, Nanou2, Petiatil Cx Htdui and QKThr are beautiful tracks and even though they are incredibly simplistic and aided with digital equipment and are supposedly "copying", they somehow manage to sound much more organic to me that anything I've ever heard before.

i just think they are boring tracks, and i also thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to link his own music to the experimental world especially with the damn piano on the cover. His music is experimental and innovative enough for him not to make such force fed trying to be 'avant-garde' tracks. they felt very very forced to me, the piano ones by themselves are ok but the prepared piano tracks no.

Zing Zing Zingbah hit the nail on the head, i think its kind of ironic someone whos so unconventional and who made fun of experimental music by putting a microphone in the belnder at the knitting factory would do something so seemingly serious and academic. and yes John Cage's prepared piano pieces are a hell of a lot more interesting.

I also think Drukqs both cds is a rumbling wreck of an cohesive album. I only listen to half of the album burned on one cd. the rest imo is filler that he didnt spend too much time on.

Guest AOOproductions
just to play devils advocate... here you have a guy who writes a track about how he would like some milk from the "milk man's wife's tits" and makes "dance music" for ravers and other n'er do wells who, suddenly, should be taken seriously because he name drops satie and cage and sticks a few bits and bobs in his yamaha player piano and records it.

you lot just got caught with your pants down with your rock-hard fanboy members in hand.

286270~Businessman-Caught-with-His-Pants-Down-Posters.jpg

You definitely got me with that one :embrassed:

hmm, dont quite follow that. I consider myself a huge industrial fan i cant really see anything remotely industrial about Drukqs. more industrial in spirit than it is in sound.

I think they weren't well received because they don't sound like a monkey is banging on the keys and they actually have pretty melodies and stuff. Things scholars don't like.

Guest Kenneth172

Anyone know if I'm right in saying Aphex used a midi grand piano on the piano pieces? Personally I love the piano tracks. The recordings are very detailed like he must have used loads of microphones in different bits of the piano to get different effects. The sound is very detailed and the melodies are just beautiful. Superb.

Anyone know if I'm right in saying Aphex used a midi grand piano on the piano pieces? Personally I love the piano tracks. The recordings are very detailed like he must have used loads of microphones in different bits of the piano to get different effects. The sound is very detailed and the melodies are just beautiful. Superb.

yeah, i said that in another thread. It was all over the interviews... One of the few times he was being truthful...

Guest Kenneth172

yeah, i said that in another thread. It was all over the interviews... One of the few times he was being truthful...

That's cool. I don't get the time to read all the threads and interviews. The piano must've cost a fair bit...

That's cool. I don't get the time to read all the threads and interviews. The piano must've cost a fair bit...

Well you are right in any case. You can even hear that he miced (presumably) the actual keyboard of the piano because you can actually hear the keys being pressed! Talk about detail! That is sick as fuck!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Helper ET

ill give YOU a case

check this out

Archived