IGNORED

Kesson Dalef

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

I've been forced to listen to music with tiny ear buds lately. Been noticing a lot of interesting sounds on Drukqs that I've never heard before. For instance, how many of you have ever heard that high freq sound at 0:13 on Kesson Dalef? This is my first time anyway, which is weird because I've listened to it so much with good headphones, it's just never became apparent to me before. Ziggomatic 17 is pretty funky with shitty ear buds too. Weehoooooo!!!!!!

Well noticed. Sounds like the pianist gasping for air. Beautiful track this one anyway.

thats some freaky imagery there. RDJ holding a pianist hostage to play his piano tracks for him...

Guest Kenneth172

Maybe it's a combination of both: RDJ (in his polyester shell suit) held his Piano teacher hostage at gun point. Hence the sigh of anxiety evident in the mix.

Guest Helper ET

No it's not a breathe. If you actually listen to the sound over a few times you can tell it is a distinct scratching or rubbing noise. Definitely some friction going on there. That or it's some thing else not even close to what we are guessing. I'm kind of training myself to stop trying to guess how he makes his sounds. It's fun to guess and think about all the possibilities, but the truth is, we are going to be wrong most of the time.

Ok, I just listened to it again. Now I'm thinking it is the sound of his body shifting while playing. I don't know, probably wrong. One very interesting thing I've noticed about the piano tracks on Drukqs though, is that they apparently sound like individual samples of each note on the keyboard, composed on a computer sequencer or something. I can't say I'm able to tell the difference between a piano track recorded with one microphone, or a track recorded with individual samples of each key (I've never thought of comparing the two until now), but I will say this. If you listen to Nanou 2, listen to the last chord fade out, you will notice white noise fading out in sequences. This leads me to believe that the track was composed of samples of individual piano keys. Not necessarily samples of one piano either. I hear subtle differences in the tones and timbres of the different notes played on the Drukqs piano songs. This could be causes by natural aging of a single piano, repairs done on individual keys, etc.

Anyway, I've lost my train of thought, but I think I've made my point. As for Kesson Dalef, if it was done with individual samples of a piano key, I wonder if the scratching noise what added intentionality or what the deal is.

Through typing this, I am now quite a bit more interested in how he has produced his piano tracks on this album. Kesson Dalef for instance seems pretty consistant with the tones of all the notes played. Compared to Nanou 2, say, some of the higher notes seem to "tink" more than the lower notes. A property that Kesson Dalef doesn't share. Wow. This is crazy for me right now...

Guest Kenneth172

Congrats on the essay Helper ET. Looks liek you've been giving this some thought...

My understanding is he used one of those mega-expensive midi Grand Piano's. Then put lots of microphones actually in the piano on the keys etc and recorded and mixed the resulting sounds. The piano tracks are beautiful arrangements and for me will stand the test of time much longer than the other tracks. Drukqs, in effect, is two separate albums - one piano album and one with all the rest of his mad shit. Ace!

Guest Helper ET

Is it true that in an interview he said he wanted people to divvy up the album how they wanted, that it would be boring otherwise? For me it's hard to believe any interview is real unless it's video/audio. Even then...

Also that shit about him saying albums longer than 30 min bore him?

I've reduced myself to asking real questions on the AFX subforum where there's the likes of Sneaksta, Kenneth, replying with "intelligent remarks".

Oh god what have I become...

Guest Kenneth172

Oh God what have I become... "intelligent remarks"? Caustic thought I was an arsehole, but then he is only 15... Intelligent kid though... with some intelligent remarks....

Cheers anyway Helper ET, happy to help.

Guest Helper ET

How about you give me a phone call Kenneth and we can actually talk in person! That way we can have the internet for actual discussion.

I realize this post is a contradiction in itself but I felt it was necessary.

Did you know that if you look at the person's elbow when you high 5 someone you never miss!

No it's not a breathe. If you actually listen to the sound over a few times you can tell it is a distinct scratching or rubbing noise. Definitely some friction going on there. That or it's some thing else not even close to what we are guessing. I'm kind of training myself to stop trying to guess how he makes his sounds. It's fun to guess and think about all the possibilities, but the truth is, we are going to be wrong most of the time.

Ok, I just listened to it again. Now I'm thinking it is the sound of his body shifting while playing. I don't know, probably wrong. One very interesting thing I've noticed about the piano tracks on Drukqs though, is that they apparently sound like individual samples of each note on the keyboard, composed on a computer sequencer or something. I can't say I'm able to tell the difference between a piano track recorded with one microphone, or a track recorded with individual samples of each key (I've never thought of comparing the two until now), but I will say this. If you listen to Nanou 2, listen to the last chord fade out, you will notice white noise fading out in sequences. This leads me to believe that the track was composed of samples of individual piano keys. Not necessarily samples of one piano either. I hear subtle differences in the tones and timbres of the different notes played on the Drukqs piano songs. This could be causes by natural aging of a single piano, repairs done on individual keys, etc.

Anyway, I've lost my train of thought, but I think I've made my point. As for Kesson Dalef, if it was done with individual samples of a piano key, I wonder if the scratching noise what added intentionality or what the deal is.

Through typing this, I am now quite a bit more interested in how he has produced his piano tracks on this album. Kesson Dalef for instance seems pretty consistant with the tones of all the notes played. Compared to Nanou 2, say, some of the higher notes seem to "tink" more than the lower notes. A property that Kesson Dalef doesn't share. Wow. This is crazy for me right now...

Do some research then shut the fuck up.

He had some new-fangled Yamaha piano (its in an accredited interview fellas) that, akin to a player piano, hooks up to a sequencer. SO, in other words, he can program the notes in his computer, and a REAL piano that was miked in different spots will play it. Yes, a REAL piano. That noise you talked about earlier was most likely the sound of the actual key being pressed, so he must have had a mic set up by the actual keyboard spot of the piano also, besides the traditional micing points.. Not trying to be hostile, but I thought that was common knowledge...

EDIT: In other words, NO SAMPLES.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived