IGNORED

WATMM Monthly Remix Competition

Joyrex

I don't think we're going to pick songs that even have "sample packs", as I thought the intent was to take an existing song and make something out of it as it stands, rather than use bits and pieces of it.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joyrex, you do realize that when artists do remixes they have "sample packs" of each track individually so that they can do something that sounds somewhat professional, right? You don't remix a mastered song.

no they dont

youre thinking of really lame remix competitions put out by labels

and yes, you do remix mastered songs

Typically if an artist is going to do a remix they will contact the label of the artist they want to remix and get the masters for the song, which will have each track recorded individually. Then they will cut and edit those individual tracks as necessary. Sure there are some net artists and such who do mashups and shit with mastered tracks, but the point was really that there's nothing wrong with wanting to have a set of individual tracks with which to begin from.

Typically if an artist is going to do a remix they will contact the label of the artist they want to remix and get the masters for the song, which will have each track recorded individually. Then they will cut and edit those individual tracks as necessary. Sure there are some net artists and such who do mashups and shit with mastered tracks, but the point was really that there's nothing wrong with wanting to have a set of individual tracks with which to begin from.

again, no they dont

maybe if you are trying to remix a lowkey modern electronic artist

personally i want to remix non-electronic stuff

Or a highkey one because you're famous? Using the final master if you have an option is retarded.

what? shut up, i dont want to recreate a song someone made, i want to listen to a track, take it and do something completely different, even if i were given each individual track, i would just mix it down to the full original and then remix it.

How is it any harder to recreate something original from an assortment of individual tracks than it is from a final recorded master? in fact, it's HARDER to do that because you can't separate out all the shit you don't want in your re-creation, unless you mangle the whole thing with a bunch of EQ or phase cancellation. It's stupid to remix from the final master if you have any other option, because remix from the final master gives you LESS choices with what to do.

How is it any harder to recreate something original from an assortment of individual tracks than it is from a final recorded master? in fact, it's HARDER to do that because you can't separate out all the shit you don't want in your re-creation, unless you mangle the whole thing with a bunch of EQ or phase cancellation. It's stupid to remix from the final master if you have any other option, because remix from the final master gives you LESS choices with what to do.

who cares whats harder? infact when did that come into the equation? i was just saying what i liked to do. the way i view remixing is taking a pre-existing song and doing something to it, whether that is sampling it into another track, mangling it with eq, cutting it and glitching it, whatever. like i said "PERSONALLY" i would rather just be given an mp3 of a song and let loose, i understand you like to have individual tracks. awesome. more power to you.

agree to disagree?

Guest blicero

yeah, remember when chris ochre contacted justin timeberlake and he was all like "fuck yeah i want U to remx my trax!!1" and then he made this with the master tapes:

http://ochremusic.com/mp3s/Ochre_-_Like_I_Love_You_rmx.mp3

yeah, me neither.

the samplepack argument is basically moot since we're not gonna be able to get any sample packs that we want anyway, or at least not many. besides, that makes it too easy IMO. look at the grey album, you can do a lot with finished mixes if you're creative.

my personal preference is to remix full tracks, and preferably non electronic.

Not really, because you were trying to claim that typically remixing is done from final masters, which is just not the case.

god dammit, you're wrong, im sorry, but you're wrong

yes, sometimes an artist will give out each individual track for a remix however that is nowhere near as common as someone just taking a final master and remixing it.

Yes but we don't give a shit about stupid remixes of dumb pop tracks now do we?

im sorry tftt, what remixes are you holding in such high regards, which came from sample packs, and not the final master?

Guest analogue wings

OK TFTT, when the track is announced, you can email the artist asking for the basic tracks. The rest of us will get on with making our remixes.

OK TFTT, when the track is announced, you can email the artist asking for the basic tracks. The rest of us will get on with making our remixes.

The point was that a) people were misunderstanding how things typically work and making stupid claims like "most people just cut up the final master". Which is more like making a mashup or doing gimmicky crap like Bit Meddler, and b) for some bizarre reason insinuating that it would somehow be harder or less pure or something to use a set of individual tracks to remix from, which is just plain retarded either way.

Also, would someone please stop calling individual tracks "sample packs"?

if i don't like the trk i'm going to submit a random bit of noise/drone from my hdd at the last minute. it'll be hilarious!!!

Ill cut it and pitch shift 3 scales worth of notes out of it, then feed it into my prototype music set theory song generator perl script and dump it out to .xrns. You an me together, we can do dis.

lets just do public domain songs like froggy went a-courting. that way there would be a million different recordings of the track. that way the people who just want one track get one track and the people who want multiple tracks get multiple tracks. also its legal.

Guest blicero

i don't see why we couldn't do popular songs (or at least not in the public domain). the only thing, is that people may have to find the original by themselves, since distributing it on the site would be illegal.

Archived