IGNORED

What is his annual salary?

Guest Mr Salads

Guest Mr Salads

How rich is rich? What do you think a guy like him makes when you add in royalties and stuff? Which of his releases was the most successful? Lets dig into his pockets

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Quixote

Do musicians have a 'salary' per se? I thought they just made royalties off each sale of the album (usually it's in their contract - a certain percentage from the sale of each item pressed or sold online).

Guest HokusPoker
Mike P posted sales results awhile back I think...

This thread's a bit personal, don't you think - I mean, it's his money, really none of anyone's business...

HAHA.

Do you think RDJ owns an iPod?

Do you think RDJ does trip?

Where does he live?

Where did he get his tank from?

Does he like his coffee black?

@topic: I think knowing how many cds he's sold would be quite interesting, but not tell anything about his financial situation.

He's stated so often that everybody would be surprised if they knew what popular music is Richard's actually.

If that is true in any way, it's impossible to say if he'll soon be able to buy ISS or not.

Guest Enter a new display name

This thread's a bit personal, don't you think - I mean, it's his money, really none of anyone's business...

But you know where he lives and you even posted google map pics.

Guest Quixote

I think it's a fair question. It's not like we're competing with him for a promotion. Just curious as to what a good musician can actually bring in :shrug:

How rich is rich? What do you think a guy like him makes when you add in royalties and stuff? Which of his releases was the most successful? Lets dig into his pockets

Joyrex is more richer than Rich :angry:

Agreed, it is personal info. I'm not interested in average Aphex profit's a year, I don't care about exact dollar amounts, I'm more interested how many copies of each sold (as in how popular in the market)

Also, Rich has said that most of his money comes from doing gigs and live sets. Not that the record sales don't bring in the cash, especially when he first blew up on the scene in the early 90's, I'm sure sales of his music was nearly all his profit. Now he just charges large sums of cash to play live. I'd say he set himself up nicely by putting himself in demand, and only doing select shows basically under his own terms. Mastermind is a good word to describe Richard...

Guest Mr Salads

Agreed, it is personal info. I'm not interested in average Aphex profit's a year, I don't care about exact dollar amounts, I'm more interested how many copies of each sold (as in how popular in the market)

Also, Rich has said that most of his money comes from doing gigs and live sets. Not that the record sales don't bring in the cash, especially when he first blew up on the scene in the early 90's, I'm sure sales of his music was nearly all his profit. Now he just charges large sums of cash to play live. I'd say he set himself up nicely by putting himself in demand, and only doing select shows basically under his own terms. Mastermind is a good word to describe Richard...

I don't think it's that personal a question. It doesnt really matter either, it's not like anyone has access to it right? It's kind of a way to speculate on what he brings in. For example, his streak in the early 90s must have paid well. He lives off royalties but if he makes money playing gigs, he isnt really capitalizing on that either. Playing warehouses in the UK for christmas? he plays like twice a year at most - publically. There's no need to pay him extra money if he is just anonymously DJing and doesnt want anyone to know its him, which Im sure he also does from time to time.

he isnt married, he doesnt have kids (at least not that we know of). It must be cheap to live how he does but i imagine he doesnt live in a nice house but instead in a flat with mates like he's still a 20 something. Youd figure hed be rolling in the dough if he's buying military hardware to put on his front lawn right. But thats probably bullshit anyway. I figure he lives well enough in the region he's in but if he were to move to a big city like NY, he might have to actually start playing real gigs to support himself.

Yes, I can attest to that - at one point SPD and I were trying to get him to come to the States to play, and if I remember correctly, just his appearance fee was 10-18K USD... not including flight, room, food, entertainment, etc.

I don't think it's that personal a question. It doesnt really matter either, it's not like anyone has access to it right? It's kind of a way to speculate on what he brings in. For example, his streak in the early 90s must have paid well. He lives off royalties but if he makes money playing gigs, he isnt really capitalizing on that either. Playing warehouses in the UK for christmas? he plays like twice a year at most - publically. There's no need to pay him extra money if he is just anonymously DJing and doesnt want anyone to know its him, which Im sure he also does from time to time.

he isnt married, he doesnt have kids (at least not that we know of). It must be cheap to live how he does but i imagine he doesnt live in a nice house but instead in a flat with mates like he's still a 20 something. Youd figure hed be rolling in the dough if he's buying military hardware to put on his front lawn right. But thats probably bullshit anyway. I figure he lives well enough in the region he's in but if he were to move to a big city like NY, he might have to actually start playing real gigs to support himself.

I know he used to charge tons of money for gigs (certain gigs keep in mind, like being flown in to the States and such) I realize he hasn't done tons of shows as of late, but he has had some big gigs in the last couple of years.

He is married, and he does have a kid. (Read through the forum) The tank, bank and other excapades (GX1 can't be cheap) and so on. Most of this stuff, that we know of, was bought some time ago. He purchased a one of a kind sound definition chamber that was done to research sound with absolutely NO echo. I got an article where they reconstruct it and cost loads of cash to replicate (tons of foam cones, in all sizes, depths). He's probably got money into things we couldn't even imagine. Obviously the guy has cash. You are off in your assumption he couldn't support himself in New York, give me a break. The guy co-owns a record label, a legendary label at that. Do your homework, and you can answer most of these questions yourself.

Guest firefunker4
he isnt married, he doesnt have kids (at least not that we know of).

not sure if he officially got married, but he does have a kid. joyrex is right that specifics about money isn't anyone's business.. and while probably only a tiny handful of people know what his worth really is (he has made lots of claims publicly, but lots were pisstakes. he is the master of myth-creation), it is fair to say he is leagues away from anyone else in the 'scene'. he is unique and a very rare exception. no one of his 'electronic music peers' makes anything close to him. autechre have done well for themselves... as have BOC, but both of those groups have to split the money in half. µ-ziq made some money in the 90's, but these days is probably pulling in a factor of 10 *less* than afx (on a good day). vibert isn't wealthy, but he at least makes his money steadily and consistently, even when most of his braindance peers have been falling off for the past 5-10 years.

afx has had the magical conjunction of talent, business savvy, cult of personality, and luck... and he has profited handsomely from it. just leave it at that.

Guest Mr Salads

not sure if he officially got married, but he does have a kid. joyrex is right that specifics about money isn't anyone's business.. and while probably only a tiny handful of people know what his worth really is (he has made lots of claims publicly, but lots were pisstakes. he is the master of myth-creation), it is fair to say he is leagues away from anyone else in the 'scene'. he is unique and a very rare exception. no one of his 'electronic music peers' makes anything close to him. autechre have done well for themselves... as have BOC, but both of those groups have to split the money in half. µ-ziq made some money in the 90's, but these days is probably pulling in a factor of 10 *less* than afx (on a good day). vibert isn't wealthy, but he at least makes his money steadily and consistently, even when most of his braindance peers have been falling off for the past 5-10 years.

afx has had the magical conjunction of talent, business savvy, cult of personality, and luck... and he has profited handsomely from it. just leave it at that.

I did not know he had a kid! Shit. I've been living in the early 00's. This sound chamber thing sounds excessive and weird, where did you read about that? I know he co owns rephlex but then how successful is that label? Compared to big labels I mean, what kind of pounds are they raking in with that? They have to be doing better in the UK than in the US. Obviously they are still up and running. Anyway I am just having fun with speculation.

I did not know he had a kid! Shit. I've been living in the early 00's. This sound chamber thing sounds excessive and weird, where did you read about that? I know he co owns rephlex but then how successful is that label? Compared to big labels I mean, what kind of pounds are they raking in with that? They have to be doing better in the UK than in the US. Obviously they are still up and running. Anyway I am just having fun with speculation.

I'll snap some photos of the article on the sound chamber later, I think it was NME (not for sure, will find out when I get home) I know i've got the magazine it's in stashed away

I know he used to charge tons of money for gigs (certain gigs keep in mind, like being flown in to the States and such) I realize he hasn't done tons of shows as of late, but he has had some big gigs in the last couple of years.

He is married, and he does have a kid. (Read through the forum) The tank, bank and other excapades (GX1 can't be cheap) and so on. Most of this stuff, that we know of, was bought some time ago. He purchased a one of a kind sound definition chamber that was done to research sound with absolutely NO echo. I got an article where they reconstruct it and cost loads of cash to replicate (tons of foam cones, in all sizes, depths). He's probably got money into things we couldn't even imagine. Obviously the guy has cash. You are off in your assumption he couldn't support himself in New York, give me a break. The guy co-owns a record label, a legendary label at that. Do your homework, and you can answer most of these questions yourself.

It wasn't a sound chamber he owns, but rather the location for the interview NME did with him. He liked it for it's anti-acoustic qualities.

It wasn't a sound chamber he owns, but rather the location for the interview NME did with him. He liked it for it's anti-acoustic qualities.

Thanks for the clarification. I only read through the article briefly, I might have discovered that when I got a chance to re-read it and photograph it (I'll try to do that here in the next hour or so) I remember reading it was originally created for testing sound (some university created it, figure specifics out later)

Archived