the advisory circle ~ other channels

Guest tidbit

Guest tidbit

Tracklisting:

1 Callsign 'A' - The TV Trap (0:18)

2 Civil Defence Is Common Sense (2:53)

3 Mogadon Coffee Morning (2:57)

4 Sundial (3:28)

5 Swinscoe Episode 1 - 'Enter Swinscoe' (1:58)

6 Celebrate Michaelmas NOW! (2:41)

7 Fire, Damp & Air (3:45)

8 Frozen Ponds PIF (0:52)

9 Erosion Of Time (3:32)

10 A Clear Yarn Warning (1:14)

11 Keep Warm, Keep Well (2:48)

12 Eyes Which Are Swelling (2:18)

13 Hocusing For Beginners (3:50)

14 The Coastguard (2:43)

15 Swinscoe Episode 2 - 'Release The Birds' (1:45)

16 Farmland, Freeland (3:40)

17 Everyday Electronics (3:20)

18 The Old Schoolhouse (2:37)

19 Callsign 'B' - Freeland Logotone (0:08)

link

cover

excellent! probably the first release i've actually been proper excited about in a while!

i wrote all these articles! :flower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Ghost_Box_Music

needs updating with that seance at hobbs lane album and this though

apparently julian house is doing a collab with broadcast (good interview here)

and if anyone knows fucking ANYTHING about jim jupp, please write the damn article lol

ghost box ftfw

There's something addictive about Ghost Box. I haven't been let down by anything so far, and 'Other Channels' is excellent, quite unsettling in places.

By the way, has anybody actually got a physical copy of the first Belbury Poly EP?

np

fucking lush. reminds me maybe a little of barbara morgenstern in places...

but the advisory circle have their own sound. it's more developed on this, which i'm listening b2b with mind how you go

good and unique musics...

hahah mogadon coffee morning is like procol harum or something. fuckin a

yes i do.

EDIT: Hmm, a longer answer might be clearer. BoC is obviously influenced larger by Canadian PIFs (i.e. Personal Information Films) and the general vibe of 60's / 70's American nostalgia, wherease the bulk of Ghost Box stuff (Particularly The Advisory circle) is more towards English 70's and 80s PIFs and mainly the gritty safety ads. These guys would no doubt exist without BoC but it's not so clear if they'd exist without folks like the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

Guest The Vidiot
yes i do.

EDIT: Hmm, a longer answer might be clearer. BoC is obviously influenced larger by Canadian PIFs (i.e. Personal Information Films) and the general vibe of 60's / 70's American nostalgia, wherease the bulk of Ghost Box stuff (Particularly The Advisory circle) is more towards English 70's and 80s PIFs and mainly the gritty safety ads. These guys would no doubt exist without BoC but it's not so clear if they'd exist without folks like the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

I agree with you, but it just seems as though BOC initiated the the idea of using PIFs/70's and 80's ephemera as musique concrete first. I'm wondering if Advisory Circle picked up on the idea from them, or if they were up to this sort of thing early on. After all, Ghost Box is relatively new to the game.

Either way, this record is amazing! :smiling:

yes i do.

I agree with you, but it just seems as though BOC initiated the the idea of using PIFs/70's and 80's ephemera as musique concrete first. I'm wondering if Advisory Circle picked up on the idea from them, or if they were up to this sort of thing early on. After all, Ghost Box is relatively new to the game.

the idea of hauntology goes back way farther than ghost box or BoC, it's just something they both happen to tap into. house and jupp credit people like arthur machen and hp lovecraft as BIG influences as well.

Guest The Vidiot
yes i do.

the idea of hauntology goes back way farther than ghost box or BoC, it's just something they both happen to tap into. house and jupp credit people like arthur machen and hp lovecraft as BIG influences as well.

Yeah Hauntology... Is this like some established aesthetic or something? My iTunes claims that the genre of this album is "Hauntology". I know the Derridian business behind it all, but how to classify it in music?

Speaking of Hauntology, this album is waaaay scarier to listen to than Geogaddi. "Eyes Which are Swelling" is extreme.

yes i do.

Yeah Hauntology... Is this like some established aesthetic or something? My iTunes claims that the genre of this album is "Hauntology". I know the Derridian business behind it all, but how to classify it in music?

Speaking of Hauntology, this album is waaaay scarier to listen to than Geogaddi. "Eyes Which are Swelling" is extreme.

issue 273 of the wire has an excellent article called 'haunted audio' which goes into good depth

numbers stations, abandoned tube stations, and the aforementioned PIFs are all well hauntology.

other hauntology artists i would recommend would be mordant music, and to a degree ariel pink. the wire also mentions a label called trunk records which sound intriguing but i have yet to hear

Guest tidbit

definitely trunk!

lots of good stuff on their discography. not all very haunty... more like dirty and goofy.

my favs .. sven libaek album... and basil kirchins abstracts...lp, ... and do not miss tomorrow people lp (delia delia, o' delia!),... fine forgotten jazz gems like m.garrick trio and d.taylor remembered lp's... .. and of course there is wicker man ost.. which is bit different to original soundtrack... and definitely some john cameron as well.. (you can hardly do wrong with his music). .. yes library stuff it is ..along with those super fine bosworth comps...

..some goofey stuff.. check vernon elliot... or that folkies.. fuzzy felt folk comp.. or scary sci-fi soundscapes of desmond leslie.

but if you want *any* of those in wax.. you have to pay quite a bit of some of those... so it might be easier (for a start) to obtain that trunk sampler macbete mentioned..

Guest Glass Plate

all I've heard was the Ivor the engine release, I should get some more, seems pretty bad ass.

Also advisory circle's new release is pretty good, wish I had my Mp3 player so I could listen to it on the way to work.

Guest arbee

I like this record a lot... thinking about making a ghost box order.

so tell me everyone, which are the best ghost box records ??

Guest silver
I like this record a lot... thinking about making a ghost box order.

so tell me everyone, which are the best ghost box records ??

Pretty much everything on ghost box is top notch, if you're feeling flush I'd get the lot...

But the Belbury Poly cds are both superb pieces of electronic music, get them and the last focus group 'pans people' album, along with the 3" TAC cd and you're in for a splendid April.

Guest arbee

damn ! been listening to "the owl's map" a lot lately, that stuff is absolutely wonderfull. I like it a lot. along with that "other channels" thing, there you go with my first ghost box order.

I will check out for more belbury poly stuff, and all those other ghost box recordings. thanks silver !

damn ! been listening to "the owl's map" a lot lately, that stuff is absolutely wonderfull.

innit

'scarlet ceremony' is amazing

Archived