IGNORED

Crapper roland drum machines

just bought a 707 for $160

this thing could keep me entertained for hours... something's wrong with the step write but the tap write works great...

just hours?

step write is rather essential, what's wrong with it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Routing the 707 bass drum to a short reverb, then a distortion, really turns it into a monster kick:)

yeah.

you can get lots of varied sounds by hooking the indv. outs to a mixer with solid EQ/gain (fortunatly i have a mackie1604). that's one of the benifits of owning the actual hardware rather then playing with the samples in a computer.

Guest Needlenose
just bought a 707 for $160

this thing could keep me entertained for hours... something's wrong with the step write but the tap write works great...

just hours?

step write is rather essential, what's wrong with it?

nevermind, i figured it out... i guess i didn't realize after you got to step write mode you had to hit "start" like you do with tap. :embrassed:

Routing the 707 bass drum to a short reverb, then a distortion, really turns it into a monster kick:)

yeah.

you can get lots of varied sounds by hooking the indv. outs to a mixer with solid EQ/gain (fortunatly i have a mackie1604). that's one of the benifits of owning the actual hardware rather then playing with the samples in a computer.

You can do the same on software, that's not the advantage, turning knobs left and right, hitting the pads with your real fingers! Pressing buttons, looking at a piece of electronic plastic molded thingy that's the real advantage.

yeah.

You can do the same on software, that's not the advantage, turning knobs left and right, hitting the pads with your real fingers! Pressing buttons, looking at a piece of electronic plastic molded thingy that's the real advantage.

that's all good, but (imo) the real advantage is the sound you get from analog mixers. it's much better than software, in my experience.

I like using the maraca on the 727 as a closed hh, sounds wicked with a bit of shuffle.

The only instrument i HATE on the 707 is the snare, and i never use the crash (not necessarily because it sounds crap, i just hate crash cymbals, even when playing real drums).

Still want an r8!

• 3 weeks later...
606 is boobs good.

Yay! i just got one today. It doesn't look good at all, painted black, modded, battery compartment full of aciiiid (as it should be:).. It has individual outs, and the kick and snare have a couple of extra pots, just like the 909! It took some soldering to get the kick sound out of the standard mixed output again, but now it sounds like new, and even better!

Man, what a mess inside, all the wires for the individual outs and extra pots, it's a total spaghetti inferno. There's some real crappy soldering inside.. I had to apply a fair amount of pressure to close the case again too:)

So now i've got her hooked up to my teebee.. what can i say, i'm in acid heaven:)

Hope you didn't pay too much for that mangled tech

I'm afraid i did, price was e225, which i brought down to e200, which i know is too much, i guess the market value would be around e150 or so. Mint 606'es seem to go for e350~400. The guy i bought it from was sympathetic, an acid head like me, and he needed the money to buy a 707 (he had another, unmodded 606)... i know, i should have been a bit more patient... oh well.

Fortunately i'm handy with the iron so i can clean up the mess :)

Guest Vegeta897

Bought a Boss Dr Groove 202 (counts as roland, right?) on eBay and it sounds sex. The features are great for such a cheap machine.

The only instrument i HATE on the 707 is the snare, and i never use the crash (not necessarily because it sounds crap, i just hate crash cymbals, even when playing real drums).

No.

if i had to hate on a 707 i would choose to hate the Kick Drum 2. is just a muffled oomp compared to the rather trebley(thin but lush) Kick drum 1.

both snares are lush on the 707.....hunt down and find "virgo - Virgo" it has some of the best tr-707 on any album ive heard.

R-852336-1165442459.jpeg

606 is boobs good.

Allow me to rephrase that. 606 is the fuckin' milkman's wife's tits, pardon my french.

I'm completely in love with this modded black baby. (the 606, that is (just to avoid any misunderstandings).)

I'll call her "da bomb".

The left channel of my sound board is now dedicated to the 606. The other one is shared by the 303 and 707. With Buzz doing the effects (and the occasional 909, 808 or a softsynth melody or something queer like that) this kind of feels like the setup i've been waiting for ever since when i was listening to Tyree Cooper (the producer, awesome super duper trooper).

But let's not diverge. I was imaging trying to board a plane carrying a suspicious-looking device with red blinking lights, apparently something home made, marked "da bomb" in clear white lettering. And that i would prove it was just an innocent drum machine by giving a small demonstration of its growling earthquake vibes, etc.

ps i'm strunk

Bought a Boss Dr Groove 202 (counts as roland, right?) on eBay and it sounds sex. The features are great for such a cheap machine.

from that youtube vid () it sounds pretty decent indeed. what did you pay?

Guest Iain C
Hope you didn't pay too much for that mangled tech

I'm afraid i did, price was e225, which i brought down to e200, which i know is too much, i guess the market value would be around e150 or so. Mint 606'es seem to go for e350~400. The guy i bought it from was sympathetic, an acid head like me, and he needed the money to buy a 707 (he had another, unmodded 606)... i know, i should have been a bit more patient... oh well.

Fortunately i'm handy with the iron so i can clean up the mess :)

Yeah that doesn't sound too bad actually, if you fix it up nicely enough you could raise the value of it!

Yeah that doesn't sound too bad actually, if you fix it up nicely enough you could raise the value of it!

yeah, that's what i thought. Not that i would ever sell it of course;)

check out this sample i just did (if you're into grindcore acid:) test606.mp3

Guest Vegeta897

from that youtube vid () it sounds pretty decent indeed. what did you pay?

That video sounds like shit :p

Payed $40.

roland tr 606 is overhyped.

what is all the fuss about?

the beauty is in it's simplicity and the look of it is inspiring just like the 303. i love it's pure analog sound.

you've got the crispiest lushest sounding hihats evah, i doubt you'll find better ones on other drum machines (808 HH might give it a competition). and when the 606 is gained up it's an analog drum monster!

programming it is simple and fun (small learning curve at first though), no need for bullshit LCD.

only TR drummachine where you can switch from play mode and write mode, which gives it advantage for live playing/recording.

you don't have to sell an arm to get one

Archived