IGNORED

Vox

Guest Gary C

Guest Gary C

I've had this old guitar for years. It had been in my nan's loft for decades and belonged to her brother. I think he played in a couple of bands in Birmingham, ranging from Beatles-esque pop to jazz. It's a nice little thing, but I could never get much out of it because it uses what is essentially a TV aerial as an output and it's temperamental at the best of times. I had a few lessons with it when I was 14, but replaced it with a cheap and brutal guitar which I could happily trash.

So I put it away and half-intended to keep it as an heirloom. It's probably worth quite a bit and dates from the 60's at the latest. Maybe I'll sell it one day when I'm old, I don't know. Probably not. But recently I've almost completely stopped listening to music with beats, which I couldn't make anyway (or was certainly never happy with), and moved into some more guitar-based textures.

So I've been toying with it and here's the result. It's heavily layered, dense and crackly. There's a reversed loop in there, some reverb and delay. Thinking about it now, I might pick up a Vox amp and wah-pedal and complete the whole set.

Enjoy

bgbt.mp3

Guest Gary C

Cheers, fellas.

I'm so happy with this sound that I intend to make more, but hopefully more structured and a bit rougher texturally. I've got to hold back on the .wav fuckery too, and I presume having the chain of equipment set up to play live will make that easier.

Guest Gary C

So I'm currently bidding on two Tascam 4 tracks because they're cheap and look incredibly easy to use. After that I'll pick up a few pedals, and then I'll have more music to drop here.

Gorgeous textures. Let me know when you finally decide to sell the Vox, and I'll gladly take it off your hands. :) This is great. I did a couple ambient tracks using a guitar and a delay pedal a while back. I should revisit them as I was never 100% satisfied with it, but I'm fond of the style.

Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived