IGNORED

Is anyone like me in this way

Guest AOOproductions

Guest Soothsayer

If someone doesn't like dubstep, that's one thing, but seriously, starting a whole thread saying "hey it's all shit except Burial!", when you don't know shit about the genre? really?

edit: k threadstarter, I've posted many dj mixes up here before(I'm DJ Cal Cutta), and I thought about which would be a decent "primer", of sorts, and figured the one I did for We_Kill_Soapscum's radio show recently would be good:

try it out, and if ya like it, there's more up on this forum, just search dj cal cutta

Guest David R James
If someone doesn't like dubstep, that's one thing, but seriously, starting a whole thread saying "hey it's all shit except Burial!", when you don't know shit about the genre? really?

edit: k threadstarter, I've posted many dj mixes up here before(I'm DJ Cal Cutta), and I thought about which would be a decent "primer", of sorts, and figured the one I did for We_Kill_Soapscum's radio show recently would be good:

try it out, and if ya like it, there's more up on this forum, just search dj cal cutta

U have a track listening anywhere for this

Guest AOOproductions

o ok didn't know u where Dj cal cutta, now it all makes sense! But yea, no hard feelings. i have personally felt that burial debut is the best overall representation of dubstep but thats also because I compare burial's dubstep style to mostly Planet mu dubstep... so maybe I'm wrong. I'll see where this takes me, and get back to you... eventually.

Guest Soothsayer

*goes over and clicks it for Brian*

There is soo much more than just Burial and Planet-Mu dubstep. I bet you anything you'd dig 7even records if you checked out their material. Or Martyn, and I could go on and on...Burial and Planet-Mu aren't nearly the whole spectrum. Again, if ya don't dig dubstep, that's cool, but Burial is hardly a full representation, not even close...(and yeah, sorry for getting snippy, but this isn't the first time a thread like this was posted, and it's a pretty tired subject)

tracklist for that mix:

1. Silkie- I Sed

2. Pangaea- Coiled

3. Synkro-On My Mind

4. Mala- Alicia

5. Iron Soul- Thru My Eyez

6. L-Wiz- Lavender Wedding

7. Distance- Out of Mind

8. Crissy Criss- Soap Dodger

9. Goth-Trad- Clown

10. RSD- Cavegirl

11. Late- Never Forgive

12. OSC- Zion

13. Spaatial- 80207

14. Vaccine- Wishful Thinking

15. Project Pat- Choices

16. Claw feat. Vive- Tom Collins's

17. Pinch- Joyride

18. Ramadanman- Carla

19. Cluekid- Toadstep

20. Orien- Rainbow Tear Drops

21. Caspa & Rusko- Rock Bottom

22. Iron Soul- Moodswing

23. FBOM- Hopelessness

24. FBOM- Excavations

25. Roqqert- Give It

26. Fragile- Unabomber

27. Fused Forces feat. Werd2Jah- Dub Run

28. Hatcha- Flippin'(DFRNT Remix)

29. Distance- V

30. Mala- Miracles

31. Kulture- Babylon

32. Nero- Night Thunder

33. Joker- Gully Brook Lane

34. The Solar Constant- Northern Divide

Guest David R James

Burial has been pigeonholed into dubstep and become the artist with the biggest profile, so i can understand how people might judge dubstep by him regardless if its dubstep or not.

but what the fuck is dubstep and how did it arrise? I mean I've listened to Burial and I think it is boring, and I don't understand how it has some kind of genre. It doesn't sound distinct enough for a genre to me. Is it just clean beats, slow tempos, lots of reverb and smooth sub-bass?

EDIT: wikipedia has a nice article but I just don't get it. Is there just a lot of scene for this in the UK? Maybe I'm just not surrounded by the culture. From my view, being a west coast US male, it just seems strange for a genre like this to blow up out of nowhere. fuck, i don't know what I'm actually trying to say......

but what the fuck is dubstep and how did it arrise? I mean I've listened to Burial and I think it is boring, and I don't understand how it has some kind of genre. It doesn't sound distinct enough for a genre to me. Is it just clean beats, slow tempos, lots of reverb and smooth sub-bass?

is drum n bass just the amen break and sine wave bass?

is rap just black people talking over beats?

is idm just bleeps and bloops and skipping cd noises?

following all that dubstep releases since 2005.. i've to agree a huge percentage of the releases sound very generic&boring and don't last long... but i guess dubstep is just reaching to the ratio crap-releases vs. good releases like any other dance genre.. have a look at minimal house it's the f'k same. so much generic crap..

anyway I own only one dubstep vinyl lp - it's burials debut. furthermore only some eps.. (shackleton, hessle..n'stuff) but loads of mp3...

there's one more album i recently really enjoyed& I gonna buy it. feels like it sums up the dancey side of dubstep in good way.

can only recommend: 2562 - Aerial

http://www.discogs.com/release/1352858

Guest David R James
can only recommend: 2562 - Aerial

http://www.discogs.com/release/1352858

Ive only just spoken about his new release 'Shortcuts' in the DUBSTEP THREAD,which is more genre blurred in way but at the moment its my favorite album, but only when listened to as a whole to proper vibe.

Im much more into the techno x dubstep stuff, things that are covered in dub tech pads and deep subby minimal basslines. I also love dubstep that doesnt need a whole lot more than a deep b-line a few hits and nice drums. 28 grams by Skream and loefah is probably my favorite minimal so called 'generic' track and also 'Qwwali' by Pinch.

The genre has started to get too complex or full shit just like dnb did and is even going back on itself and become more grimey and dnd like again which the aspects that i hate.

Archived