IGNORED

Paying For News

Joyrex

Guest David R James

Yeah sure, id happily pay for the news about how were are in an economic turndown

edit: downturn lol

Yeah sure, id happily pay for the news about how were are in an economic turndown

Did you read the article, man? This could be the solution to the old business model of traditional journalism and hope after the inevitable death of print media.

Guest David R James

Did you read the article, man? This could be the solution to the old business model of traditional journalism and hope after the inevitable death of print media.

Oh shit ,tried too, i guess i didnt read all of it :embrassed:

Information wants to be free. I don't think you can charge for news when it's so easily and instantly disseminated.

There may be a business model for premium content, but not news.

People are trying anyway:

http://therealnews.com/

But, I can tell you, they're barely getting any traffic. Less than 10K views a day.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

If this did happen, newspapers who decide not to partake would instantly gain thousands more visitors. This would increase their advertising revenues. They could then use this increase to put more money into journalism, making their newspaper even more appealing compared to the pay for sites.

And it would give these newspapers who didn't participate more power -- they would be the first to manipulate the public.

It would only work if there was some kind of guild that forced all newspapers to do this -- and that would be authoritarian.

I don't mind paying for good news. I subscribe to a magazine similiar to National Geographic but this is about...*dramatic silence*... SCIENCE! And it's all about good news and new gadgets, ideas, medicine, machines that will eventually make our lives easier and better - unless they turn on us. But this magazine makes me happy and I don't mind paying $10 for it.

I usually just filter out the bad news. News about suicide bombers blowing 200 muslims to smithereens simply don't have an impact on me.

Archived