IGNORED

why are "mixes" appreciated by people?

Guest Helper ET

If you are referring to "mixtapes" for the most part, they are only appreciated by

girlfriends/boyfriends/bffs when made for each other. Appreciated because they

evoke emotions apropos of a specific time/place. The lyrics usually say "I love you"

in all the right ways etc. Usually NOT appreciated by someone you may be courting/

stalking... huge creepy factor....

As for mixes (dj mixes) and why they are appreciated...

Many(most?) aren't. Just a bunch of songs put back to back to back, as

you said, throw a bunch of shit in a bag shake it up and call it "yours"

very often a lot of bullshit.

but... the following mixes I think speak for themselves as to why mixes are appreciated,

and because these are so appreciated, others are sought out hoping to match the pleasure

the ones below brought (and they usually disappoint)

coldcut: 70 mins of madness

2many djs: radio soulwax vol 2 etc

blech & blechdottir (pc and scrictly)

tom middleton: the trips, sounds of cosmos, weekend warmups

herbert: let's make mistakes

altern8: rave edition mix

all of rob hall and surgeon's mixes

richie hawtin: DE9s

k&D: dj kicks, sessions

rjd2: poor boy lover

eraserhead: warp records memorial mix

amon tobin: solid steel

anyone want to add to the list or take any of the above away?

there are many more to be sure that fit into the above category

and many many many more that are just rubbish

when they are good, they are truly brilliant, but they

are few and far between.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
watching the video (back a page) of the guy using the gay serato bullshit, i realized how much i hate scratching/turntablism

Weed's sudden, seemingly random Serato outburst explained.

continually i hear people say "hey check out my mix", or "that mix owns this mix", blah blah blah. first of all let me try to understand what a mix is. correct me if im wrong, but as far as i can see, all a "mix" is, is someone collecting a bunch of their favorite songs (by artists other than themselves), putting them all together, and claiming the collection of music as something they have put together, and something they own, and can share with people, as if it was something they created

"hey dude, i just collected an apple, a sandwich, a blunt, and richard d james album, and threw it all into a bag, shook the fuck out of it, and called it my own. i have nothing to do with the creation of any of these things, yet i claim ownership of the combination of all these things"

this is what i see when i hear people spouting about their brilliant "mixes". i can understand if you are a dj, and its your job to make mixes to show people. but what the fuck is this new thing, where people take a bunch of songs they like, put them all together in what they think is a clever oder of tracks, and give it to the world as their "mix"

cmon, what the fuck is that?

no truly have no fucking idea, do you? B7

Archived