IGNORED

"what r DJs doing when they are emotionally ‘twisting knobs’?"

awepittance

the absolute worst thing is the trendy use of rewind

i listen to sub.fm sometimes and when people do this to a record i literally have to turn it off instantly

or British guys imitating rastas talking too much while a track is playing

I dont know if that was a dancehall thing back in the day, but this has been the most annoying thing about being at a Dnb rave since 1993. Grooverider does it on his radio one show for fuck sake, oh my days it pisses me off.

which the rewind or white rastafarian blabbering?

edit: is Grooverider still in prison? maybe all those rewinds caused a big karmic fireball for him

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 277: 930-933

Watching Peter Hook DJ is the most embarassing thing in the world.

Here's a video of Sven Vath's speech at TimeWarp 2006, it was awesome, he dived of the stage about 10 times and tried to distract Riche Hawtin during his set by dancing around him and giving hugs.

anyone can dj

Gonna disagree with you there, bro.

I've heard some pretty terrible mixing both as far as turntablism and done offline with a DAW (which there's really no excuse for).

It's a different kind of performance, but still one nonetheless.

dude, you can learn the basics in like 20 minutes. what i meant was that yeah there are a lot of people who put effort into doing stuff live where they are basically performing their own music like 'controlerism' which is cool but the large large majority of djs don't do ANYTHING to warrent the notability that they get. what i think it comes down to is that club promoters don't know/care about good music and are just trying to sell as much alcohol as possible. dj'ing is more about the knowledge of knowing what to play at what time more than any kind of technical/creative music ability.

My point is, as with anything, there are people who are good at it and people who are bad at it. No need to single anything in particular out. Good DJing requires extensive knowledge of all the high & low points of all the songs, and the best times to drop and bring things in...not even touching scratching and the skill that takes.

DJing, playing guitar, pressing MPC buttons, knob twiddling, painting, it's all the same. The talented ones deserve props, the untalented ones don't. No need to go all "internet podium rage". :flower:

DJing, playing guitar, pressing MPC buttons, knob twiddling, painting, it's all the same. The talented ones deserve props, the untalented ones don't. No need to go all "internet podium rage". :flower:

i think one of the fundamental things though is that Djing in and of itself probably has the easiest to learn/adopt 'skill' out of those, and that more often than not a DJ has a very low amount of talent, but i guess since the skill set level standards are so low for djing that unlike a'painter or guitarist you can't just say 'hey im a painter' and get away with it uness you could actually show your paintings. However people get away with calling themselves DJ's all the time

My point is, as with anything, there are people who are good at it and people who are bad at it. No need to single anything in particular out. Good DJing requires extensive knowledge of all the high & low points of all the songs, and the best times to drop and bring things in...not even touching scratching and the skill that takes.

DJing, playing guitar, pressing MPC buttons, knob twiddling, painting, it's all the same. The talented ones deserve props, the untalented ones don't. No need to go all "internet podium rage". flower.png

that's absolutely true and i totally agree with you autopilot, but it's just aggravating to see people become successful/famous simply because of playing other peoples music. it's like the general public doesn't see any difference or distinction between musician and dj, and it's really messed up. i'll try to turn down the e-rage though :phone:

Guest David R James
the absolute worst thing is the trendy use of rewind

i listen to sub.fm sometimes and when people do this to a record i literally have to turn it off instantly

or British guys imitating rastas talking too much while a track is playing

I dont know if that was a dancehall thing back in the day, but this has been the most annoying thing about being at a Dnb rave since 1993. Grooverider does it on his radio one show for fuck sake, oh my days it pisses me off.

which the rewind or white rastafarian blabbering?

edit: is Grooverider still in prison? maybe all those rewinds caused a big karmic fireball for him

The rewind, but it is actually both, the first 10 years of Drum and bass had some shocking mc's, u only had a handful of good mc, the rest were terrible and were just blabbering, mostly involving the word rewind.

No, groovrider is out of prison now, opened back with open arms from the bbc or so it seems.

it's like the general public doesn't see any difference or distinction between musician and dj, it's really messed up.

i think there is always going to be a really stupid segment of the population that you just have to ignore completely

i mean i'm just remembering back when Fat Boy Slim became hugely popular, the MAJORITY of people i spoke to about Fat Boy Slim in high school actually believed he was a 'band' and that it was all non sampled original material. people are FUCKING STUPID

the thing that really gets my goat is when turntable dj's are playing a record on one turntable and the original song has scratching in it and they start scratching the other record so that it looks like they are doing the scratching. all the shows i play are hiphop so i tend to see alot of really bad dj's and a very surprising amount actually do this and no one really notices.

Some dude on that site wrote:

When DJz are turning nobs they are makin sur that the music is bngng az hard az it can. I think they have a special nob that controls how hard a song Bngs. I wish I culd dj and make that sht bng.

Thats amazing

Some dude on that site wrote:

When DJz are turning nobs they are makin sur that the music is bngng az hard az it can. I think they have a special nob that controls how hard a song Bngs. I wish I culd dj and make that sht bng.

Thats amazing

it's hard to tell if things are a parody anymore reality is breaking down for me

Guest Phasen

apparently "didn't move around/ get into it" enough, they wanted more joke gabber punching.

tracks features here

http://idiron.kaen.org/wonk.mp3 and here
http://idiron.kaen.org/cf009/Idiron-02-A%2...20Gone%20By.mp3 if you're interested.

not like im bitter. randomoidz is a wicked producer and lovely guy to boot. fully deserved the win *coughafterbeatingmecough*

Shit, that's tight how you did that with the wii remote...real fresh.

The other guy only won because of that beard.

it's hard to tell if things are a parody anymore reality is breaking down for me

what i used to do was fakepost really inane/serious comments on whatever the latest post was, and they would all argue back at me in hipster blogspeak. there is a lot of comedy potential at that site that few are taking advantage of

When ur a dj and love what u do, u get involved and u connect with the music, crowd, KNOBS, everything around u

:teeth:

Yeah I don't know if these people are serious or not, but this is seriously the hardest I've ever lol'd at work, I think everyone can hear me, I'm losing it.

The back and forth discussion on what "monitors" was a great lol too

it's like the general public doesn't see any difference or distinction between musician and dj, it's really messed up.

i think there is always going to be a really stupid segment of the population that you just have to ignore completely

i mean i'm just remembering back when Fat Boy Slim became hugely popular, the MAJORITY of people i spoke to about Fat Boy Slim in high school actually believed he was a 'band' and that it was all non sampled original material. people are FUCKING STUPID

not djs

i don't know if you remember, i musta mentioned it, but the girlfriend of one of the judges/organisers told me one of the judges didn't know 'the difference between a dj and a producer', she wanted to be a judge.

then everyone had a go at her, she cried, i hugged her, and i got punched or bottled (knocked out so not sure which) by her bf

lame anyway

then everyone had a go at her, she cried, i hugged her, and i got punched or bottled (knocked out so not sure which) by her bf

lol, when i was a little bit more of an asshole than i am now i used to try to skip the needle during a bad dj set by falling to the ground very hard, it worked a few times and people got very very pissed

also i think one of the magical things about calling yourself a DJ is that stupid hot females will NOT be able to distinguish it properly from a musician and will give up the pussy just as fast as if you were Tipper himself

also i think one of the magical things about calling yourself a DJ is that stupid hot females will NOT be able to distinguish it properly from a musician and will give up the pussy just as fast as if you were Tipper himself

some of the world's best DJs according to carles: http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2008/11/who-a...s-best-djs.html

also with tipper i think it has to do more with his bass vehicle than his music :on2long:

that hipsterrunoff site is amazing. i think my brain just flipped inside out

yeah thanks again for whoever first posted a link to it

i knew people here would like that site. here's to hoping IDM can become 'culturally relevant' in 2009 :beer:

that hipsterrunoff site is amazing. i think my brain just flipped inside out

yeah thanks again for whoever first posted a link to it

i knew people here would like that site. here's to hoping IDM can become 'culturally relevant' in 2009 :beer:

*crosses fingers*

Archived