IGNORED

"what r DJs doing when they are emotionally ‘twisting knobs’?"

awepittance

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/04/this-...ting-knobs.html

DB_2358.jpg

somebody posted the 'memeification of your band' link last week and since then i've been reading this webpage everyday. thanks watmm!

mods: not sure if this is better in EKT or here, you decide :rolleyes:

edit: the article actually kind of sucks, but i thought the title was good

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chax was your somebody :wink:

carles says a lot of serious, thought provoking shit through his 'gimmick' which if he had a regular blog nobody would take any of it seriously. i guess it's the same as rosie o'donnell's blog except he's doing it on purpose (and making a ton of cash) and rosie isn't haha. i still think the majoity of his readers don't 'get it' with him.

there is a ton of critical self-analysis going on with him and the whole indie/alt scene and how much more self-aware of everything he is than normal hipsters who believe they know/are better than everyone else. it was almost like he was so into all of it that one day he just woke up and came to realize all of it out. carles kind of makes me kind of wish we had some kind of 'voice' of IDM/alternative electronic music even though everyone hates the term, and they would probably hate him too. maybe i should start blogging or something

check out this site for actual electronic artists who don't actually play/mix music http://www.deadact.com

Im not a big fan of the 'DJ performance' I still dont get why so many people turn a tiny knob from the shoulder.

Even when things get quite technically demanding during my DJ sets I never get like that.

Im not a big fan of the 'DJ performance' I still dont get why so many people turn a tiny knob from the shoulder.

Even when things get quite technically demanding during my DJ sets I never get like that.

all you need is $100 worth of cocaine and you're good to go

nothing on that site makes any sense. way way way too self-aware. unreadable.

i felt like this at first but i've grown to like it. i wonder if he's radio show is as unlistenable as his page is unreadable

That DJ reminds me of Iain.

Also at a dubstep show last friday there was a killer DJ that had this fucking moustache...I wanted to climb up there and shave that shit right off his face.

here is an image in toronto of one of the most smug "electronic' hipster DJs ever:

20090402-Hatiras.jpg

he demands to get paid for 'acts' where all he does is play other peoples music. seriously fuck DJ culture, there should be more focus on artists, nobody should care whos 'playing' the music, anyone can dj

Oh yeah...the glasses. I'd like to take this oppitunity to say that unlensed glasses are the most fucking atrocious crime of fashion. This level of pretentious faux-intelligent wankery will not go unpunished when it crosses my path. I will loudly call into question their authenticity and ridicule you in front of everyone around you. Its fucking stupid and it has to stop.

I'm done

anyone can dj

Gonna disagree with you there, bro.

I've heard some pretty terrible mixing both as far as turntablism and done offline with a DAW (which there's really no excuse for).

It's a different kind of performance, but still one nonetheless.

i really need to lower my standards, i would probably actually be making money right now in the music scene if i was doing DJ sets instead of making my own music

i also think it's strange that when you go see someone live these days like Amon Tobin you'll hear some other stuff by other people thrown in there.

Guest David R James

Oh how i love the way some dj's try and make out they are really doing some deep shit with the over theatrical use of EQ.

'Cut Bass - un-sucessful body pop- Bring back the bass'

I assumed that you all performed as in the first image.

Equally obnoxious are instrumentalists who strain their faces during performance. I honestly can't bear to watch someone in that self-aware state.

Also, what is a hipster?

the absolute worst thing is the trendy use of rewind

i listen to sub.fm sometimes and when people do this to a record i literally have to turn it off instantly

or British guys imitating rastas talking too much while a track is playing

Guest David R James
the absolute worst thing is the trendy use of rewind

i listen to sub.fm sometimes and when people do this to a record i literally have to turn it off instantly

or British guys imitating rastas talking too much while a track is playing

I dont know if that was a dancehall thing back in the day, but this has been the most annoying thing about being at a Dnb rave since 1993. Grooverider does it on his radio one show for fuck sake, oh my days it pisses me off.

Archived