Guest -Ad-

Words to describe Stockholm:

Expensive

Stylish

Cool

Clean

Civilised

Boring

Had a great time, but boy do those Swedes need to chill out a bit and have some fun. It's all very well looking amazing in the latest trendy shit while sipping a £20 Long Island Iced Tea, but getting pissed and dancing is not a crime people.

Nice place...particularly enjoyed cycling everywhere. The food is good, but when it costs £8 for a ham and cheese sandwich then it bloody well should be good.

did you get the syndrome?

The only thing that got kidnapped was my wallet in every bar, restaurant and shop I went in!

what places did you go to/see?

Was there from Thursday PM to Sunday PM. I stayed in Gamla Stan in the Castanea Hostel.

Thursday PM

Went into Soder after we arrived and hit a few bars. Had Indian food at Indian Garden (was good). My Jewish friend got accosted to go and do Minion with some local Jews. We laughed at him.

Day 1 - Friday

Had a walk around the city centre, popped into Ahlens and did some shopping, walked to Ostermalm, had a sausage at the sausage stand there. Walked through the park in Ostermalm (forget the name) and chilled on the swings with the kids. In the evening went into Soder and had dinner at Kvarnen (sp?) Beer Hall, which was tasty stuff. Then hit a couple of bars near Folkungaten...think one was called Indigo? Another had a huge outdoor area with heated lamps and blankets...had a good atmosphere.

Day 2

Hired city bikes and cycled from Gamla Stan around to Djurgarden. Picked up lunch from the market in Ostermalm on the way (had a bucket load of herring and rye bread) and chilled out in the park for a bit. Then went to Skansen (sp?) to see the bear cubs, foxes, lynxes, elks, reindeer etc. Was good. Cycled back. Hit the Ambassadeur nightclub in Stureplan in the evening - had a really good night. Got trashed on expensive bottles of Heineken and rocked home at 6am.

Day 3

Cycled to a small island in the centre of town (forget the name, begins with L). Had a buffet brunch which we were all over - Gravadlax got destroyed, as did numerous desserts and more rye and herring + hams and cheeses etc. This meal of 4 plates was awesome. Did some more cycling then headed off for our flight

Overall I liked the place, but money and image seemed more important to people than enjoying themselves. That was the general vibe. But I thought it'd be a lovely place to bring up kids - such a clean and friendly environment, and no doubt a very good standard of living to boot

what places did you go to/see?

Was there from Thursday PM to Sunday PM. I stayed in Gamla Stan in the Castanea Hostel.

Thursday PM

Went into Soder after we arrived and hit a few bars. Had Indian food at Indian Garden (was good). My Jewish friend got accosted to go and do Minion with some local Jews. We laughed at him.

Day 1 - Friday

Had a walk around the city centre, popped into Ahlens and did some shopping, walked to Ostermalm, had a sausage at the sausage stand there. Walked through the park in Ostermalm (forget the name) and chilled on the swings with the kids. In the evening went into Soder and had dinner at Kvarnen (sp?) Beer Hall, which was tasty stuff. Then hit a couple of bars near Folkungaten...think one was called Indigo? Another had a huge outdoor area with heated lamps and blankets...had a good atmosphere.

Day 2

Hired city bikes and cycled from Gamla Stan around to Djurgarden. Picked up lunch from the market in Ostermalm on the way (had a bucket load of herring and rye bread) and chilled out in the park for a bit. Then went to Skansen (sp?) to see the bear cubs, foxes, lynxes, elks, reindeer etc. Was good. Cycled back. Hit the Ambassadeur nightclub in Stureplan in the evening - had a really good night. Got trashed on expensive bottles of Heineken and rocked home at 6am.

Day 3

Cycled to a small island in the centre of town (forget the name, begins with L). Had a buffet brunch which we were all over - Gravadlax got destroyed, as did numerous desserts and more rye and herring + hams and cheeses etc. This meal of 4 plates was awesome. Did some more cycling then headed off for our flight

Overall I liked the place, but money and image seemed more important to people than enjoying themselves. That was the general vibe. But I thought it'd be a lovely place to bring up kids - such a clean and friendly environment, and no doubt a very good standard of living to boot

_1231236498.jpg

HAHAHA

seriously though, sounds like a pretty decent weekend

södermalm is the place to be, i can't stand all the snobs on östermalm/norrmalm

quite funny that you're complaining. considering that other thread.

I suppose I've come across a little too negative. It genuinely is a nice place. The standard of living there is superb, food is amazing everywhere you go, the women are amazingly hot, the environment is clean and beautiful. But in the limited experience that I now have, it just isn't that much fun for a 25yr old; I guess the culture is different. The prices and emphasis on style reminded me of Paris in many ways, and in comparison to London both Paris and Stockholm are very different cities.

Good thread! Very useful, i was thinking about visiting stockholm with my girlfriend later in the year but on a low budget. Don't think i'll bother now.

is full of stuck-up people who think they are better than everyone else.

Agree with this bit to a degree, but not every capital city is like that.

I spent some time with a couple from Helsinki while I was there...they weren't stuck up. In fact, they were complaining about the very same thing that I am. I think it's unfair to say that everyone in every city thinks they're better than everyone else. It varies from place to place - Stockholm is far worse than other cities I've been to

Words to describe Stockholm:

Expensive

Stylish

Cool

Clean

Civilised

Boring

Had a great time, but boy do those Swedes need to chill out a bit and have some fun. It's all very well looking amazing in the latest trendy shit while sipping a £20 Long Island Iced Tea, but getting pissed and dancing is not a crime people.

That's stockholm pretty much, and I live here. It's not expensive if you know where to go, but I think

you'd enjoy one of our student cities, or the south, much more. Cheaper and people are much more relaxed and easy-going.

You've nailed the Stureplan people though.

That's Sweden, pretty much. Most of us are a bunch of very uptight bastards. Some french guy called it "a well-dressed coffin, an emotional Auschwitz. "

So it's nice, people are good looking and have nice homes and all that.. but don't get me started on the social atmosphere.

Good thread! Very useful, i was thinking about visiting stockholm with my girlfriend later in the year but on a low budget. Don't think i'll bother now.

Forget stockholm, go to Gothenburg. You're going to love it.

Archived