IGNORED

Bringing a child into the world

Guest joshier

Guest Al Hounos

i think couples should be allowed to make 2 babies. if they want any more, they can adopt.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest taxman

i'd rather make one than adopt, but i'd really rather not have one at all. if i do it will be far in the future and i don't really want to think about it.

I find it selfish for someone to think that their own genetics are superior to an already born child's without a check of the child's parents.

It's not a superiority thing, it's a "my flesh and blood" thing.

some day I will have my own child with a proud aryan princess. Then I will adopt an ugly, stupid mongo of the same age. As they are growing up I will continually show favoritism towards the child who is of my own flesh and blood. When they are 15 I will force them to battle to the death inside a steel cage. I'll let you guys know who wins.

Guest Thisket

ya, during like, 2012, everyone should have to adopt instead of have a kid. somehow I see this as a last.fm-type widget

i think couples should be allowed to make 2 babies. if they want any more, they can adopt.

why 2? Population needs to be decreased, not sustained. I say only 1, if they want another they can adopt right?

why 2? Population needs to be decreased, not sustained. I say only 1, if they want another they can adopt right?

2 is actually below zpg, due to infant mortality; I also plan to have 2 at some point, either 2 biological or one bio, one adopted...or perhaps several dozen illegitimate children, not sure yet...

The trick is to have 3 children, but adopt one of three.. so you have two... and you spread your superior genes throughout the world, without making your wife hate you for having 4+ C-sections.

edit: or just go to a sperm bank like I did last year and spread yourself through millions of women's vaginas, though I only really did it for the money

but by adopting you're only encouraging irresponsible people to have more, no? Unless you're adopting aids orphans from africa...

i've always felt spreading my seed through a sperm bank would be weird...like, if you have a half-son/daughter somewhere and the kid's parents abuse him/her, do you bear any moral responsibility? How much do they pay for a dollop of baby batter, anyway?

but by adopting you're only encouraging irresponsible people to have more, no? Unless you're adopting aids orphans from africa...

i've always felt spreading my seed through a sperm bank would be weird...like, if you have a half-son/daughter somewhere and the kid's parents abuse him/her, do you bear any moral responsibility? How much do they pay for a dollop of baby batter, anyway?

If my sperm children were being abused I'd become a serial murderer and kill off all the bad parents, as a form of "natural selection" then I'd re-adopt the kids into new families and repeat if necessary.

How does adopting encourage irresponsible people to have children? Irresponsible people are exactly that, they dont care if people are adopting the children theyre creating.

yeah seems like a really good way to end up fucking your own daughter... i mean...... WHAT?

Guest vodor

i think it's pretty irresponsible either way. either you're making your own filthy spawn, or you're encouraging others to carelessly make filthy spawn because they know that can just pawn them off on kid-loving chumps like you.

lol i was kind of making all that crap up,

personally I don't think i will ever have kids, don't want that kind of responsibility... at least not even ready to think about that yet

Guest vodor

but of course multiplying indiscriminately is what humankind and all of life is here to do. all the disease and famine and war that will result from overpopulation only serves to weed out the weak and harden all of the life here on earth (not just us humans).

that's a good thing, right?

Guest zaphod

i'm all for it. but i'm a man. for a woman i'm sure it can be pretty fucking dicey and a lot less black and white, so i try to respect that fact. if i married someone who wanted to adopt, i'd probably be alright with that too.

undecided.jpg

I have a daughter who's not mine (she's my wife's from her first marriage). I met her on her first birthday, and I love her incredibly. She makes me so happy I can't even describe it.

I would like to have another child of my own, but if I don't it's not the most terrible thing in the world.

lumpenprol: wasn't that a takeshi miike film?

I have a daughter who's not mine (she's my wife's from her first marriage). I met her on her first birthday, and I love her incredibly. She makes me so happy I can't even describe it.

I would like to have another child of my own, but if I don't it's not the most terrible thing in the world.

I get the feeling this is what I'm ready for - it's just a tad shy of having full responsibility for a child, even if you treat the child as your own. Mom would probably be a bit more grounded and grateful for the attention too. I could easily see this happening to me.

lumpenprol: wasn't that a takeshi miike film?

dang, I'm plagiarizing a filmmaker I haven't even watched yet.

Guest joshier

I think it's fair to say that the situation we seem to be heading towards can easily be viewed by looking at south Africa. Over population, lack of resources and yet the people still reproduce because of the ingrained genetics the human species have, the "need" to reproduce.

It's just a reflection of the world we live in and how gruesomely violent and desperate it really is. We can pretend our reality is different by looking at the stable-ish situation we have now, though it's only a few minutes down the road until we get to the state of barbaric fight for survival.

There is a chance that it doesn't come to this if we can limit births per couple, but as shown here - there are a lot of people who genuinely feel cheated if they don't conceive their own child.

Fact is, it's the ignorance and self denial that leads people to think that adopted children will never 'be their own' or a reflection of their selves. Spending a good amount of time with the adopted child will give a far better reflection of ones self over merely conceiving the child and expecting your wife to do most of the work.

Guest Rambo
I think it's fair to say that the situation we seem to be heading towards can easily be viewed by looking at south Africa. Over population, lack of resources and yet the people still reproduce because of the ingrained genetics the human species have, the "need" to reproduce.

It's just a reflection of the world we live in and how gruesomely violent and desperate it really is. We can pretend our reality is different by looking at the stable-ish situation we have now, though it's only a few minutes down the road until we get to the state of barbaric fight for survival.

There is a chance that it doesn't come to this if we can limit births per couple, but as shown here - there are a lot of people who genuinely feel cheated if they don't conceive their own child.

Fact is, it's the ignorance and self denial that leads people to think that adopted children will never 'be their own' or a reflection of their selves. Spending a good amount of time with the adopted child will give a far better reflection of ones self over merely conceiving the child and expecting your wife to do most of the work.

Was gonna make a long post on this but i've just remembered a video i watched on TED a while ago that sums it up quite well. It's good news on the overpopulation front.

With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, statistics guru Hans Rosling uses an amazing new presentation tool, Gapminder, to debunk several myths about world development. Rosling is professor of international health at Sweden's Karolinska Institute, and founder of Gapminder, a nonprofit that brings vital global data to life.

Thanks for posting those, Rambo. Vetty interestink.

The sword swallowing bit was a bit over the top, though.

Archived