69 members have voted

1. 1. pick one

• I love it
    • I hate it
    • I am indifferent to it

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love it but had no idea you called coriander cilantro.

Same. I am a culinary ignoramus.

its not the same thing. same plant. cilantro is the leaves and coriander is from the seeds. maybe. we had this discussion before.

Not quite. Coriander is the whole plant, including the leaves. Cilantro is the spanish name for the plant, and has become the used terminology in the states, I'm guessing due to it being a key component of mexican cuisine. As mexican cuisine uses predominantly the leaf, cilantro has become synonymous with that specific part of the plant.

well also coriander is a spice and cliantro an herb so why the fuck call them the same thing

This is totally unacceptable Essines. And tone the language down, this is a public messageboard.

Coriander is the whole plant. The whole plant is used, not just the leaf and seeds. As an exampe, in Thai cuisine:

coriander leaf - salads and garnish for soups (not cooked, as it goes soapy and medicinal)

coriander stem - stock

coriander root - curry and soup pastes

coriander seeds - curry pastes

If you N Americans want to use a Spanish word for coriander leaf to distinguish it from the rest of the plant, that's fine but I don't think we should be taking the culinary lead from mexicans. Meanwhile sophisticated people will continue to use the English language as intended and simply add a suffix when needed, as opposed to the effete posturing of 'cilantro'.

Guest abusivegeorge

Why the fuck do Americans call it Cilantro?

WHAT IS WRONG, WHY CAN'T YOU SPEAK ENGLISH.

I love you guys, I really do, but fuck.

my french housemate says that the english have a perverse obsession with coriander, that we add it to everything. i have coriander plants in my kitchen which i lovingly water ever day. this is not obsession, just culinary love!

because that's what the mexicans and everyone south of the border calls it. because you know like they speak a different language than english. and they introduced cilantro to us. very simple explanation and no need to get upset over it thank you.

looks like i am the only one who hates it. tastes like grass to me. i can deal when its in pico, but sprinkled dry on other foods is no good for me

woahhhh buddy. what does your woman think of cilantro?

she adds it to dishes when we cook meals, and i have to take it like a man.

although my distaste for it comes from the time when i was in india, i think. the cook at the guest house i was staying in fucking overloaded everything with it.

edit:

charles.jpg

that about sums it up

Guest abusivegeorge

because that's what the mexicans and everyone south of the border calls it. because you know like they speak a different language than english. and they introduced cilantro to us. very simple explanation and no need to get upset over it thank you.

Lol, sorry Fred, I understand now, but surely I would have thought you'd have more sense than to take your culinary vocabulary from Mexico! But fi they introduced you to it, I guess you'd have no choice.

:heart:

if*

well also coriander is a spice and cliantro an herb so why the fuck call them the same thing

This is totally unacceptable Essines. And tone the language down, this is a public messageboard.

Coriander is the whole plant. The whole plant is used, not just the leaf and seeds. As an exampe, in Thai cuisine:

coriander leaf - salads and garnish for soups (not cooked, as it goes soapy and medicinal)

coriander stem - stock

coriander root - curry and soup pastes

coriander seeds - curry pastes

If you N Americans want to use a Spanish word for coriander leaf to distinguish it from the rest of the plant, that's fine but I don't think we should be taking the culinary lead from mexicans. Meanwhile sophisticated people will continue to use the English language as intended and simply add a suffix when needed, as opposed to the effete posturing of 'cilantro'.

this shit is pissing me off. this should be about appreciation for cilantro not arguing goddam semantics. cilantro is called about five million different things in five million different cultures

Lol, sorry Fred, I understand now, but surely I would have thought you'd have more sense than to take your culinary vocabulary from Mexico! But fi they introduced you to it, I guess you'd have no choice.

:heart:

if*

what do you know about mexican cuisine

Guest abusivegeorge

LMFAO I love mexican cuisine, and I know fuck all about it. I was making the point that you chose to refer to it as "Cilantro" using mexican vocabulary, not English. I was talking about the VOCABULARY Fred, not the food. Read before you get stressed, shit.

Guest abusivegeorge

Since when was the mexican language closer to the more wide-spread English speaking American vocabulary then English itself? Thats the only point I was making.

than*

Argue with me bitch.

corridander is from the latin why is that more english.

or coriander or whatever the fuck

anyway your argument suggests a weak inflexible understanding of a living breathing language

what's the english word for taco by the way

Guest abusivegeorge
what's the english word for taco by the way

Tortilla, taken from the Spanish "Torta".

Guest Adjective

i used to live in Oaks of meatonshire-upon-cornington-shellsfordshire-foldoverton, 4806 Cilantro Way

Archived