IGNORED

sending money internationally

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

my student loans monthly repayments just got bumped up 3x what they were so i'm looking at sending more money back to my UK account from my US account. so far i simply took it out my US bank account (via atm) when i was in the UK and paid it in. western union want $40 to do it. considering paypaling it to my brother maybe, need to work out all the charges (i pay, he pays, and crap exchange rate). the US postal service has something but it doesn't go to the UK (costs $4 though!).

anyone have any experience in this?advice?

i dunno - i've got to transfer six grand to my mum in south africa this week.... looking into it myself - my bank will do an international bank transfer, but will probably charge quite a lot, also there is Moneygram and Western Union, but not sure what they will charge.... was also thinking of using Paypal maybe

Guest Mr Salads

yeah this guy promised me lots if I gave him some, so I shared my bank account info and wire transferred some funds to help him out. Seemed legit

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

my bank does wire transfers but won't tell me how much they charge...?

i dunno - i've got to transfer six grand to my mum in south africa this week.... looking into it myself - my bank will do an international bank transfer, but will probably charge quite a lot, also there is Moneygram and Western Union, but not sure what they will charge.... was also thinking of using Paypal maybe

uk post office does international money orders, might work for that, quite cheap too i remember

i just phoned my bank - they said they'd charge £20, but the receiving bank will probably also charge and take it out of my bank without asking. which is mean.

considering paypaling it to my brother maybe, need to work out all the charges (i pay, he pays, and crap exchange rate).

I've used PayPal a few times now sending/receiving money between Ireland and the US, and it hasn't been anything like this for me. AFAIK there aren't any such fees (except when I receive a payment less that 100 euro, in which case they deduct 1 euro) and the exchange rate was anything but crap - reasonably close to market rate actually. The only drawback is that it's a pretty slow process (deposit, transfer, and withdrawal all take time to clear), but I dunno, might be different between US & UK.

Guest my usernames always really suck
xoom.com

... I could've sworn this used to be a tripod/angelfire/geocities type site like 5 years ago.

Archived