IGNORED

playing with microcassettes recorders

YEK

i love fucking around with mine. recording people/music/ myself... and then calculatedly recorder over that audio tell you have made yourself a pretty impressive collage of randomness. the trick is to use only one tape. you can also play with the different recording speeds if you've got that option so you can make something higher pitched or lower pitched. anys, great times

Guest Chogg

sweet, i used to do that all the time years ago and have a whole box of tapes of it. my handheld is so broken that it also makes shitloads of feedback and adjusting the volume dial affects the pitch.

Guest spike
sweet, i used to do that all the time years ago and have a whole box of tapes of it. my handheld is so broken that it also makes shitloads of feedback and adjusting the volume dial affects the pitch.

!@!@! if you don't ever use it anymore,,, i would love to have something like that. :beer:

I love tape. It was the first medium I used when I started messing with electronic music. I would play a CD on the top deck, then record the audio on the lower deck for a split second, then change the CD to something completely different, record that for a split second, then move to another one, etc.

Made for some interesting collages. Especially when it has the tape warble thrown in.

Guest Chogg

^lol

i mostly had this hobby as a stoner in highschool with a buddy who was also into idm/weird electronic music and we'd pull shit kinda like that too, like recording the phone ringing and then playing it in class.

!@!@! if you don't ever use it anymore,,, i would love to have something like that. :beer:

sorry man, i do still use it - actually this thread has inspired me to start experimenting like this again. i've done a few audio experiments recording the feedback and running it through multiple effects filters. but going out and recording found sounds/mangling them is going to be a new summer project and newfound interest thanks to this thread :)

also hi everyone! I lurk mostly. I guess this is my coming out thread? I used to post in the autechre forum before the days of thehauntingsoul.

i used to do a lot of pause button edit stuff too. it was fun! i need to get back into it. been thinking of doing some tape loop experiments too.

playing with tape speeds is mighty fun indeed, if you record at a low speed and make the recording really shitty (i.e. loads of tape hiss/noise), it sounds like wind when playing it back at a higher speed :ok:

yeah, what's also fun - with reel-to-reels - is having the tape deck set to pause and then sliding the reels, like you can really grab the sound

Archived