IGNORED

the state of music today

Guest Z_B_Z

Guest Z_B_Z

personally, ive just been listening to a a lot of michael jackson

There is nothing fucking wrong about the state of music today. I am sick of everyone complaining about shit was better back in the day blah blah blah blah. I am sure if you actually living in that time, you would be complaining about the same thing.

no this isnt a nostalgia trip, im looking for something new and interesting

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beatfanatic

personally, ive just been listening to a a lot of michael jackson

There is nothing fucking wrong about the state of music today. I am sick of everyone complaining about shit was better back in the day blah blah blah blah. I am sure if you actually living in that time, you would be complaining about the same thing.

no this isnt a nostalgia trip, im looking for something new and interesting

allright lets see, what kind of stuff do you listen to and what kind of stuff are you looking to find ?? As long as its not strictly idm, I might suggest some stuff.

Guest Z_B_Z

i like gang gang dance.. a bit of hot chip.. other than that im not sure id consider anything that i like 'new' (ie around within the last, say, five years)

Guest beatfanatic

i like gang gang dance.. a bit of hot chip.. other than that im not sure id consider anything that i like 'new' (ie around within the last, say, five years)

allright you havent given me a lot to work with . But if you like Gang Gang Dance, check out the new Oneida album called "Rated O". I am not a big fan of Hot Chip but I would think Cut Copy's In Ghost's Colors would be similar.

Guest jubes

i used "bands" in consideration of the board im posting on.

expect ppl to talk off topic like that for the rest of your life....winning the conversation is more important than understanding your point

Guest Z_B_Z

ok then.. i guess ill check these guys out in the next couple days and post my impressions in this thread. ill keep and open mind

i like the new animal collective album but i dont think they can get it up for more than a couple of songs

blame the internet, MTV and mass media. everyone is influencing everyone else's sound these days, so everyone starting to sound like the same, stale old shit.

that, and people keep buying shit, so people keep making it.

Guest Z_B_Z

ok then.. i guess ill check these guys out in the next couple days and post my impressions in this thread. ill keep and open mind

i like the new animal collective album but i dont think they can get it up for more than a couple of songs

@ beatfanatic

I don't see why the temporal situation in which a record was created must affect any human being into deciding whether or not he should be listened to that album.

In a certain way, you are completely ignoring the inevitable values of objectivity and are applying subjectivity over the time notion. It is irrelevant, a record will always be past anyway when you listen to it.

So why keep being stuck on wanting something "present" ?

Didn't we just have this thread? About how the 00's have sucked so far culturally?

Look at the output from just Aphex and AE alone in the 00's and tell me this decade has sucked.

Didn't we just have this thread? About how the 00's have sucked so far culturally?

Look at the output from just Aphex and AE alone in the 00's and tell me this decade has sucked.

Geogaddi. album of the decade.

Guest Z_B_Z

blame the internet, MTV and mass media. everyone is influencing everyone else's sound these days, so everyone starting to sound like the same, stale old shit.

the only way to get around that is to block all external influences, accept your past and move inward. thats the only way we're going to get truly original stuff

Guest Z_B_Z

I don't see why the temporal situation in which a record was created must affect any human being into deciding whether or not he should be listened to that album.

In a certain way, you are completely ignoring the inevitable values of objectivity and are applying subjectivity over the time notion. It is irrelevant, a record will always be past anyway when you listen to it.

because attitudes change over time, revealing more about the situations we currently find ourselves in. this is not to invalidate past contributions. all true expression is beautiful

the only way to get around that is to block all external influences, accept your past and move inward. thats the only way we're going to get truly original stuff

i partly agree with this. however, i think the problem is more to do with being saturated by it all and the ease of which we can access all this media. it was a different fucking game when i was spinning in the mid '90s.

Guest Z_B_Z

i partly agree with this. however, i think the problem is more to do with being saturated by it all and the ease of which we can access all this media. it was a different fucking game when i was spinning in the mid '90s.

the ease of access should facilitate expression.

or influence! but yes, music is a progressive art. someone is always inspired by someone or something else.

because attitudes change over time, revealing more about the situations we currently find ourselves in. this is not to invalidate past contributions. all true expression is beautiful

The music doesn't change. If you really need something "fresh", then the problem sits elsewhere than in the quality of the music that was ever produced. So where do you draw the line between what is new and what isn't? In fact there is probably enough beautifully recorded content available to satisfy most of us for the rest of our lives musically, but you need no boundaries or subjectivity in your mind.

Guest Z_B_Z

or influence! but yes, music is a progressive art. someone is always inspired by someone or something else.

hmm.. youre absolutely right. i guess we're our own worst enemies in this respect. with new media comes the greater chance to access whats already been accomplished.. maybe we should all move past the internet.. and into ourselves

this is seriously getting embarrassing

save us, righteous unpretentious one

Archived