IGNORED

Z twig

Guest Calx Sherbet

Guest Calx Sherbet

now i ain't no fancy knob twiddler liek you folk, but i want to know how exactly this song was made. does anyone know?

Guest esquimaw

now i ain't no fancy knob twiddler liek you folk, but i want to know how exactly this song was made. does anyone know?

Sounds like an FM synth in two layers. Or maybe just one synth playing two voices. Or maybe one patch with velocity sensitive zone shit. 2 similar patches. One reverb/delay effect. One delay with high-mid feedback.

Exactly how it was made: probably not wearing much, feeling slightly sweaty. Live playing hard quantized into a sequencer. Just the black keys.

There is nothing technical about this track. It's just a nice track.

I don't know. Maybe it was some computer program analyzing dna patterns of a mongoose. But I bet it fucking wasn't. It's just richard james dicking about with a keyboard and one or two effects units.

Christ why did I even bother writing this. I'm drunk. Bye.

What the hell. I know this track is from SAWII but it's not in my library.

edit: hah! did some investigating. I have this track as B+W Stripes. :cool:

Sounds like an FM synth in two layers. Or maybe just one synth playing two voices. Or maybe one patch with velocity sensitive zone shit. 2 similar patches. One reverb/delay effect. One delay with high-mid feedback.

yeah this sounds accurate

Guest Calx Sherbet

What the hell. I know this track is from SAWII but it's not in my library.

edit: hah! did some investigating. I have this track as B+W Stripes. cool.gif

it's even cooler when you have the track name and the alt name as the tag.

personally i like going with the name that makes sense with the pic. what the fuck is a "Z TWig"?

I used to play the game "worms". I also used to have this disc in my computer a lot, so whenever I played the worms.exe, it would read the disc as if it were the actual legal cd version. This is one of the songs it would use as the soundtrack, so I always associate this song with the game worms. Likewise, I always associate the game worms as a peaceful, zenlike game.

Most likely FM. But it is good to remember that both subtractive and FM can achieve similar timbres, just in different ways. Could be either but I'm definitely getting FM vibes from that sound.

• 10 years later...

I agree with the above on it being some FM synth, probably DX11 or DX100. There's all sorts of those could-be-FM-could-be-subtractive patches (my faves) all over SAW2.

That track is one of my all-time favorite things in life. I've always perceived it as an oasis.

Archived