IGNORED

I need xp help

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

after using the same xp home edition for years it now asks me for activation again. i start up the pc and get to the welcome screen where it tells me i need to activate and asks if i want to do that now. i click yes and get a quick flash of the desktop before being taken right back to the welcome screen. no activation wizard loads. im stuck. i can load into safe mode but not with networking. ive been trying to solve this all day with no luck. anyone got any ideas? i have my code still.

Guest Space Coyote

I'd just try back up everything by putting the harddrive in another working pc and then acquire a copy of windows xp professional service pack 3 and install that and start over. There's no advantage to using a legitamite copy of Windows and if you've already done the right thing and paid money for one then you shouldn't feel bad about pirating it.

Guest mafted

sounds like a registry error.. or something deep in the OS. I'd call Microsoft.. and tell them to suck it if they want to charge you.

the key might have been blacklisted, or I have seen a really annoying virus that deactivates windows then won't allow you to reactivate. Not sure, but as always the best recommendation usually is to backup files, reformat, and reinstall. (assuming you still have the key)

Guest ezkerraldean

how odd. blag a linux live CD from some magazine in the meantime, in case all else fails. 

i'm having trouble with XP too at the moment. me laptop refuses to boot normally, simply freezes with a black screen before even loading the list of profiles. i'm currently thinking just fuck it all and get a bare-bones OS like win95, put that on a read-only flash drive and boot from that. no more trouble, surely.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried and tried and then gave in to the clean install. Took an entire day to backup first and it all went fine until i booted up the new xp install and found that one of my other internal drives for data storage couldnt be accessed.

So after fiddling in partition magic for ages i assigned a new partition and got access. unfortunately i got access to what appeared to be an empty drive.

Installed Ontrack Recovery Pro and got all the data up on a scan and have spent forever slowly trying to find space on my other drives to recover it all to. what a fucking headache. i havnt slept in ages.

thank you microsoft.

Guest newmac

after using the same xp home edition for years it now asks me for activation again. i start up the pc and get to the welcome screen where it tells me i need to activate and asks if i want to do that now. i click yes and get a quick flash of the desktop before being taken right back to the welcome screen. no activation wizard loads. im stuck. i can load into safe mode but not with networking. ive been trying to solve this all day with no luck. anyone got any ideas? i have my code still.

this is why warez is better

While on the topic of XP, does anyone know how to extract a single program from the XP program disc without losing the rest of the information in the CPU?  I'm missing Word, and I don't want to delete the entire computer to get it back.

While on the topic of XP, does anyone know how to extract a single program from the XP program disc without losing the rest of the information in the CPU?  I'm missing Word, and I don't want to delete the entire computer to get it back.

if you're talking about the microsoft office cd and not the xp cd, you can do a "repair" reinstall through add/remove programs to add or remove office components.

the problem with open office is that its kernal processing shell too easily offsets with XP bus priorities. 9 times out of 10 this will corrupt your file seargents and render them largely useless until you hand-boot the existor through the principle code intraplatform, which of course takes ages. as for LLC's xp activation problem, going forward I would take steps to routinely backup the raid DLLs, zip them up, and store them remotely at least once a month. there are sites online that can do this for you for a nominal charge, such as hpx\ww.htsfile/storage/printercables.gov/geocites. barring any future complications with the memory caddies, as long as you dont do anything stupid like cold flipping your box while the teragates are still defaulting to overclock, you should be set.

9 times out of 10 this will corrupt your file seargents and render them largely useless until you hand-boot the existor through the principle code intraplatform

that got me hard

i thought the xp discs didnt come with word?

or is it like a recovery disc packaged with a brand computer

It's the recovery disc, the one that erases everything and reinstalls the basic programs.  I thought I remembered seeing an option the last time we reinstalled XP that said we could install selected programs without losing the rest of the information.

I have a hard time deciding if Fred is ridiculously technically inclined or if he's joking around by spitting out ridiculous terms.

but either way it gets me hard too

edit: before anyone calls me on it I reread his post and have determined that it is fallacy

Guest Space Coyote

It is worth noting that there is still a certain level of technical and english skill to be able to throw together real and nonsense jargan into something that reads relatively believably.

Archived