IGNORED

MEH!

berndspring1974

It's just all about that fucking hate culture.. I hate it, ironically.

People just seem to be unable to enjoy anything anymore. Like that guy who was on Conan and did that sketch, he was spot on. People hate everything and can't enjoy just a simple movie, whatever it might be. Nobody is able to see Avatar as simply a movie, in 3d, made by James Cameron. They see a simple flabby arm going a little too wide in its movement and panic. Absolutely zero imagination left in their brains. Unable to enjoy the slight artistic intent of any movie director.

i think you are over-simplifying peoples reactions to this trailer to make your position feel more morally justifiable ... which is strange and kinda gratuitous ... now i know you cooked the red herring and we're supposed to eat it .. but i'm fine thanks ..

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

Young Sherlock Holmes

ysh1.jpg

when i saw this as a little kid i had no idea what cgi was so i was pretty freaked out by this scene

I think Cameron guessed that the trailer would not get accross what is impressive about this film, which is why they have scheduled 15-min previews of 3-D footage at various Imax theaters all over the world today.

I went to see one of the previews in London.

I can confirm that the trailer does not do this film justice. When you see proper, extended scenes with the Na'Vi characters conversing with each other and interacting with the environment it is very believeable. The look in the Sigourney-Weaver-Avatar's eyes when she warns Sam Worthington's Avatar to run, the moves that Zoe Zaldana's Avatar makes when she tackles a pack of dog-like creatures, the scenes where Sam and Zoe talk to each other - they are very impressive.

And thats without going into the other flaura and fauna that crop up.

The scene where Sam(Jake) and a tribe of Na'vi come through a waterfall to a pack of dragon creatures on a cliffside is amazing. So much detail and movement.

And the 3-D was amazing as well, very crisp and precise, so clear and artifact-free that within 20 seconds you are just in the scenes, and not thinking about the 3-D aspects at all, just experiencing them.

Its not quite perfect. Perhaps 5% of the time, you can see that you are watching a CGI creature. But 95% of it is perfectly done, you believe that you're watching a 10-foot high blue alien, channelling the brain waves of Sam Worthington or Sigourney Weaver. And I think that 95% will be enough to make watching the whole film an amazing experience.

There have been fantastic levels of hype around this movie, and it wont be able to live up to all of it, but it definately does raise the CGI bar, especially in terms of expression and movement.

hah, told you guys sigourney became a blue thingy.

expectations aside i will definitely be seeing this film. I have a special place in my heart for this whole new 3d movie craze. When i saw polar express on imax 3d for the first time i didn't even know it was 3d when i walked in, i was jaded thinking it was going to be some pretty average shit. seriously though i actually felt tactile sensations of movement and falling, as average as the CGI was the way the 3d immersion was done was pretty breathtaking. I've seen maybe 8 other 3d movies since and none of them have come close to the theme park ride feel of polar express, not even Beowulf (which i had high hopes for )

I'm jealous. As a person who's "legally" blind in one eye, i will never be able to witness a 3d movie as it was meant to be seen. it's interesting that you say it almost gives the movie a bit of tactility, because i'd much rather see movies move into these repressed senses of touch taste and especially smell instead of attempting to visually augment whats already an excessive spectacle.

I think Cameron guessed that the trailer would not get accross what is impressive about this film, which is why they have scheduled 15-min previews of 3-D footage at various Imax theaters all over the world today.

I went to see one of the previews in London.

I can confirm that the trailer does not do this film justice. When you see proper, extended scenes with the Na'Vi characters conversing with each other and interacting with the environment it is very believeable. The look in the Sigourney-Weaver-Avatar's eyes when she warns Sam Worthington's Avatar to run, the moves that Zoe Zaldana's Avatar makes when she tackles a pack of dog-like creatures, the scenes where Sam and Zoe talk to each other - they are very impressive.

And thats without going into the other flaura and fauna that crop up.

The scene where Sam(Jake) and a tribe of Na'vi come through a waterfall to a pack of dragon creatures on a cliffside is amazing. So much detail and movement.

And the 3-D was amazing as well, very crisp and precise, so clear and artifact-free that within 20 seconds you are just in the scenes, and not thinking about the 3-D aspects at all, just experiencing them.

Its not quite perfect. Perhaps 5% of the time, you can see that you are watching a CGI creature. But 95% of it is perfectly done, you believe that you're watching a 10-foot high blue alien, channelling the brain waves of Sam Worthington or Sigourney Weaver. And I think that 95% will be enough to make watching the whole film an amazing experience.

There have been fantastic levels of hype around this movie, and it wont be able to live up to all of it, but it definately does raise the CGI bar, especially in terms of expression and movement.

i agree the cgi in parts raises the bar but i would say more like 65% of the cgi is perfectly done. agree on the 3d it was pretty amazing and seamless, i especially liked the live action shots i wished there was more of that and less pure cgi.

Btw I just wanted to rant that anybody who nowadays go "omg so fake so bad CGI" is just a soulless motherfucker that is completely unable to have one ounce of imagination anymore.

I don't think that's true. The whole point of calling out bad CGI is that it diminishes or rather destroys our ability to imagine. Suspension of disbelief is still a precious commodity when watching films. When these Hollywood filmmakers settle for "close enough" in terms of CGI effects, they're insulting our intelligence.

Somebody on this thread had it exactly right. It's all about physics.

lumpenprol, are special effects going to affect your opinion of the movie? if not, i dont know why you're making such a big deal about it.

What overlook said, on both points. Yeah the animation is really poor in the trailer. Look at how the Naavi's arm moves relative to the jellyfish, how the "horses" run across that log, how the flying lizards launch from the cliffside...it's pretty bad.

And no, it's not really going to stop me from seeing the film, and I suspect it will do pretty well commercially, if only for the novelty/curiosity factor - though not as well as say, Titanic, which had a more marketable star. It just looks like the most expensive adaptation of a Heavy Metal cartoon ever.

By the way, I was wondering aloud how Weta could make effects as believable as D9 and as iffy as Avatar, and I learned that actually two studios in Vancouver were responsible for a lot of the VFX for D9, not Weta. So yeah, apart from some star character work like Gollum and Kong, I think they are a bit overrated. They especially lack on the compositing side, which is one thing that makes ILM so strong.

It's just all about that fucking hate culture.. I hate it, ironically.

People just seem to be unable to enjoy anything anymore. Like that guy who was on Conan and did that sketch, he was spot on. People hate everything and can't enjoy just a simple movie, whatever it might be. Nobody is able to see Avatar as simply a movie, in 3d, made by James Cameron. They see a simple flabby arm going a little too wide in its movement and panic. Absolutely zero imagination left in their brains. Unable to enjoy the slight artistic intent of any movie director.

i think you are over-simplifying peoples reactions to this trailer to make your position feel more morally justifiable ... which is strange and kinda gratuitous ... now i know you cooked the red herring and we're supposed to eat it .. but i'm fine thanks ..

i think youre denying what he described because you are guilty of it.

Archived