IGNORED

Alice in Wonderland: An Acid Trip

OneToThirtySix

Did u listen to the commentary? He did prob 80% of part 2. The RZA did a lot of part 1.

I did, but that was when it first came to DVD, like 2004. Since then I have done more brain damage.

lol good point i may be wrong then cuz i heard the commentary in 06 i think

Has anybody converted poetry into rap before, and if they have do they have any suggestions about tempo and rhythm for this:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought --

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

He chortled in his joy.

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

edit; My plan is to get the actors comfortable with 115bpm (I've been using an Apache sample that I REALLY like). They've been improvising at about 90bpm.

Here's what I worked out tonight; a piece for whenever Alice eats, drinks, takes a hit off the hookah, whatever. Sitars and droning with an Oriental flute (if it sounds a bit like that piano/timpani/trumpet song at the beginning of Kill Bill, I blame sneaksta303):

Here's what I worked out tonight; a piece for whenever Alice eats, drinks, takes a hit off the hookah, whatever. Sitars and droning with an Oriental flute (if it sounds a bit like that piano/timpani/trumpet song at the beginning of Kill Bill, I blame sneaksta303):

I liked it, although it didn't particularly remind me of teh Killage of teh Billage. And if it did, how would that be my fault? I just sort of answered a question. :emotawesomepm9:

I think the piece would suit the scene fine.

I liked it, although it didn't particularly remind me of teh Killage of teh Billage. And if it did, how would that be my fault? I just sort of answered a question. :emotawesomepm9:

I think the piece would suit the scene fine.

I listened to it again, and I think I might do away with the flute and adjust the bouzouki line (make it longer or something), and use it for the caterpillar background.

Well, after I posted it, I realized the music might be distracting in the scene (that, and the song itself is rather short), so it's going to be a transition piece to get the actors into position to form the caterpillar, and I'm considering using Djivan Gasparyan's "Brother Hunter" for the bulk of the scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, does anybody know the name of classical songs (mainly used for Silly Symphonies or Looney Toons) used in spring settings, like with butterflies and swans and shit? I'm looking for a certain track, but I don't know the name of the song, and neither does the director.

edit; The main melody is played by an oboe.

Rite of Spring? Chi-KOW-skI?

Rite of Spring is Stravinsky (not the one I was thinking of though, but thanks), and the director thought it was Morning from Peer Gynt, and Morning could work in the same context, but it's not the song I had in mind.

Purists or not, I can't afford the instruments, recording equipment, or time to do it properly. I have six weeks' time to come up with an indeterminate amount of music, and most of these nursery rhymes are between two and eight measures long before they have to be repeated.

I don't even have a midi keyboard, which means a lot of click and drag.

Totally with you here, and it's actually not that difficult getting a good soft analogueish sound out of a digital mix.

There's more to it however than just chucking a chorus on, putting transparent limiting on every track and adding 6db filters does wonders.

Great job on the tracks man.

Has anybody converted poetry into rap before, and if they have do they have any suggestions about tempo and rhythm for this:

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought --

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

He chortled in his joy.

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

edit; My plan is to get the actors comfortable with 115bpm (I've been using an Apache sample that I REALLY like). They've been improvising at about 90bpm.

115 bpm is way too quick for a rapper to spit that comfortably. lower the tempo and put some emphasis on 16th hihats maybe?

There's a hexameter vibe to the verses which makes it a bit difficult to do to a 4/4 tempo

i haven't posted in this thread because I am jealous you have this opportunity. But congrats! :) I would love to do this. I've been in alice in wonderland 3 times playing various parts, it's such a wonderful play!

There's a disney cd of the exact score of alice in wonderland in high quality just for yo info :)

also ...jesus loves me? :wtf:

Email saul williams...he is the champion of this and apparently actually responds to emails :)

Guest analogue wings

Hokay, I need a couple suggestions for stripper music (40's style, like with a nasty brass section and shit), and I have no clue where to begin.

You want the 3 volume compilation series "Las Vegas Grind"

414H9MWVBQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It doesnt get any nastier.

Okay, does anybody know the name of classical songs (mainly used for Silly Symphonies or Looney Toons) used in spring settings, like with butterflies and swans and shit? I'm looking for a certain track, but I don't know the name of the song, and neither does the director.

Theres a torrent around with all the BGM from Ren and Stimpy - they recycled all the Warners cues so it'll be in there for sure

115 bpm is way too quick for a rapper to spit that comfortably. lower the tempo and put some emphasis on 16th hihats maybe?

There's a hexameter vibe to the verses which makes it a bit difficult to do to a 4/4 tempo

I dropped the tempo to 105 after some whining, and I figured out how to arrange the syllabic stresses, so I'm good now, but thank you for the info!

i haven't posted in this thread because I am jealous you have this opportunity. But congrats! :) I would love to do this. I've been in alice in wonderland 3 times playing various parts, it's such a wonderful play!

There's a disney cd of the exact score of alice in wonderland in high quality just for yo info :)

also ...jesus loves me? :wtf:

Email saul williams...he is the champion of this and apparently actually responds to emails :)

Jesus Loves Me was just an idea, but my favorite one so far. And thank you for the tip about the Alice soundtrack, but this is most definitely not going to be related to Disney whatsoever, (hence "acid trip" and the twist ending). I'm currently working on an instrumental cover of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds based on the intro melody.

You want the 3 volume compilation series "Las Vegas Grind"

It doesnt get any nastier.

Theres a torrent around with all the BGM from Ren and Stimpy - they recycled all the Warners cues so it'll be in there for sure

I found a version of David Rose's "The Stripper", so I'm set there, but thanks for the Ren and Stimpy tip!

Thanks again, everybody, this is a great help!

So today I worked on a rough concept for the final moments of the play, and then the director handed me a stack of CDs, including Woodstock, two Jean Michel Jarre, A Clockwork Orange sountrack, The Best of Vangelis, and Moody Blues to sift through for selections and ideas.

I'm fuckin' confused now.

So . . . :angry:

24 hours after the director hands me those albums, and has been saying repeatedly that the show will be "modern," he says the play will be based in the 70's, even some of the costumes are right from the 70's . . . he should know . . . he wore them then. But now I don't have to worry about any rap. :yeah:

Had a quick tutoring session using Soundbooth, having SO much fun editing some of these horror movie soundtracks and splicing them with 70's Saturday morning cartoon themes.

edit; Forgot why I was posting:

Here's Alice's death scene soundtrack (short, but she can't die for two and a half minutes):

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the title of that really cliche gunfight song, the one with the high flute trill and the "wah, wah, wah . . ."?

The Dormouse and the Rabbit have a gunfight, and the track from "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" isn't working the way the director wants it to.

The good the bad and the ugly?

That's the one. I didn't bother looking for a free download, so I just ended up making a mock-up track to sound something like that; some flutes and timpani with a climbing brass ending.

The trouble I'm having now is the volume for the show's cues; most of them have been too quiet. The master volume in the cue program is at full, the mixing board is at nearly -15dB, and the computer volume is around half, and the individual cues have various volume adjustments, but in general the cues are too quiet (if anybody has a suggestion on how to deal with this, I'm all ears; we're using a Windows PC, Sound Cue System 10, and a MackieTT24 mixing board). I'm going to try turning the master computer volume up to see what happens later today, but I have less than 48 hours to straighten out the volume problems, record some of the dialogue and tamper with it, and adjust (before writing in) something like twelve more cues before our preview show, much to the dismay of the stage manager, who thought she'd get to sleep in today.

All in all, I think that for learning how to use an audio editing program I had no idea how to use five weeks ago, and a sound cue program I learned how to use about six days ago, it ain't half bad.

Archived