IGNORED

Fred McGriff

Again, I really enjoyed both the plot and graphics/3D of this movie... the whole package was fantastic. I definitely got very emotional during certain scenes of this film, and my cousin ended up in tears at the end of it. The characters are well acted, the dialogue felt natural and had many humorus lines, the pacing was good (maybe a little long in the middle), ... sure nothing about it is brilliant like Pulp Fiction, Memento, or something... its very traditional storytelling, but I think that's a good thing. Cause the experience the first time is very much sensory overload, and science fiction stuff in general flies over people's heads a lot. Remember this is also a kid's movie. This is basically our generation's Star Wars. If you go in with that kind of perspective, I don't see how you can have a bad time. There is also of course a lot of deeper themes and ideas going on too, but to realize these things you really need to get invested into the world. If you are cynically sub-consciously judging everything because you had the pre-conceived expectations that the dialogue/story sucked... then of course you are going to find certain things more cringe-worthy. Of course you are going to find the whole tribal stuff weird/silly.... and find the Na'Vi's appearance as stupid. The whole point of this movie is making the transformation from wondering what the hell these stupid blue "monkeys" are, to actually caring and understanding where they come from. Once you realize the Na'Vi could potentially exists in the universe somewhere, that's when it really becomes something special. Because you have this overwhelming sensation that Earth and Humans have totally fucked themselves and that you were born into what the Na'Vi would consider "hell".

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Franklin

Again, I really enjoyed both the plot and graphics/3D of this movie... the whole package was fantastic. I definitely got very emotional during certain scenes of this film, and my cousin ended up in tears at the end of it. The characters are well acted, the dialogue felt natural and had many humorus lines, the pacing was good (maybe a little long in the middle), ... sure nothing about it is brilliant like Pulp Fiction, Memento, or something... its very traditional storytelling, but I think that's a good thing. Cause the experience the first time is very much sensory overload, and science fiction stuff in general flies over people's heads a lot. Remember this is also a kid's movie. This is basically our generation's Star Wars. If you go in with that kind of perspective, I don't see how you can have a bad time. There is also of course a lot of deeper themes and ideas going on too, but to realize these things you really need to get invested into the world. If you are cynically sub-consciously judging everything because you had the pre-conceived expectations that the dialogue/story sucked... then of course you are going to find certain things more cringe-worthy. Of course you are going to find the whole tribal stuff weird/silly.... and find the Na'Vi's appearance as stupid. The whole point of this movie is making the transformation from wondering what the hell these stupid blue "monkeys" are, to actually caring and understanding where they come from. Once you realize the Na'Vi could potentially exists in the universe somewhere, that's when it really becomes something special. Because you have this overwhelming sensation that Earth and Humans have totally fucked themselves and that you were born into what the Na'Vi would consider "hell".

I disagree with just about everything in this post.

Yeah well you're making what $2,000 a week or something... (?, I remember from the "what you make?" thread you were one of the more profitable watmmers)... of course you aren't going to share my perspective that our society (capitalism) is a shit-hole... and I can see why you wouldn't like the movie. If you enjoy the out-doors, nature, and being free then this movie provides those sensations in spades. All you have to do is open your eyes and mind for 3 hours and let the world of Pandora wash over you. Let go of your own self and like Jake have an out of body experience.

Yeah well you're making what $2,000 a week or something... (?, I remember from the "what you make?" thread you were one of the more profitable watmmers)... of course you aren't going to share my perspective that our society (capitalism) is a shit-hole... and I can see why you wouldn't like the movie. If you enjoy the out-doors, nature, and being free then this movie provides those sensations in spades. All you have to do is open your eyes and mind for 3 hours and let the world of Pandora wash over you. Let go of your own self and like Jake have an out of body experience.

this is the most arrogant post in this thread. franklin can't have an opinion because he has a good amount of income? what the hell man.

edit: there's mounds wrong with this post, but i ain't gonna touch it no more.

this is the most arrogant post in this thread. franklin can't have an opinion because he has a good amount of income? what the hell man.

he said he disagrees with the concept that the na'vi would consider "earth" as a "hell"... that kind of perspective must only be from someone who sees earth and our society highly. I'm just making an observation. he can still share his opinion

he said he disagrees with the concept that the na'vi would consider "earth" as a "hell"... that kind of perspective must only be from someone who sees earth and our society highly. I'm just making an observation. he can still share his opinion

i didn't read that part of your block of text, just the first half or so. and wow, this part of your post is disturbing:

"Once you realize the Na'Vi could potentially exists in the universe somewhere, that's when it really becomes something special. Because you have this overwhelming sensation that Earth and Humans have totally fucked themselves and that you were born into what the Na'Vi would consider 'hell.'"

umm... bit obsessed?

i didn't read that part of your block of text, just the first half or so. and wow, this part of your post is disturbing:

"Once you realize the Na'Vi could potentially exists in the universe somewhere, that's when it really becomes something special. Because you have this overwhelming sensation that Earth and Humans have totally fucked themselves and that you were born into what the Na'Vi would consider 'hell.'"

umm... bit obsessed?

disturbing? if wanting to fly a banshee around pandora makes me disturbed then I guess I am.

and yeah I am a bit of obsessed with this movie. its one of my favorite movies in a long time

I'd just like to interrupt this for a minute to say:

YourRealLegsSmall.jpg

Brilliant

no, you didn't say that. you said that you think the na'vi exist in the universe and that you were born into their equivalent of hell.

i said they "could" exist and that from their perspective Earth is their equivalent of hell. I'd personally would rather live on Pandora then Earth... not that Earth doesn't have a lot of awesome aspects of it (just watch Planet Earth), but something about how pure Pandora is... its very appealing.

no, you didn't say that. you said that you think the na'vi exist in the universe and that you were born into their equivalent of hell.

that's not what he said. he was trying to argue a point using key words like "could" and "potentially."

This movie is going to have a huge cultural impact on our society I think... not only the strong environmental message thats tied with it, but when you also have young teens having a crush on a 10 foot tall blue alien, the racial divisions/tensions in this world will certainly have a greater chance of diminishing.

Guest Franklin

I actually swing towards marxism and agree that capitalism is mostly a "shit-hole" duder. lol and really the fact that this movie exists as it does is a comment on how capitalism is great--if Cameron had taken chances on the story instead of bending (this is a safe assumption I think) to the will of corporate hollywood by dumbing it down I would have a very different opinion.

also, lots of shitty movies could be good by your criteria if you just let them "wash over you."

This movie is going to have a huge cultural impact on our society I think... not only the strong environmental message thats tied with it, but when you also have young teens having a crush on a 10 foot tall blue alien, the racial divisions/tensions in this world will certainly have a greater chance of diminishing.

I seriously doubt this is going to have a huge cultural impact in the way you think.

Guest blicero

So, we're all aware that this is James Cameron's dupe account, right?

I don't think I would be on WATMM talking to you fine folks if I was Cameron. I would more likely be celebrating that over 5 days in the theater Avatar has estimated over 330M... and has the 4th smallest drop ever for the first following tuesday.

This film is going to have ridiculous legs. And yes its hard to say what cultural impact Avatar might have, but I think if I was a 13 year old kid, this movie would probably blow my mind, and its themes would definitely have an effect on me.

Guest blicero

I don't think I would be on WATMM talking to you fine folks if I was Cameron. I would more likely be celebrating that over 5 days in the theater Avatar has estimated over 330M... and has the 4th smallest drop ever for the first following tuesday.

This film is going to have ridiculous legs. And yes its hard to say what cultural impact Avatar might have, but I think if I was a 13 year old kid, this movie would probably blow my mind, and its themes would definitely have an effect on me.

I just didn't see a single original theme in the entire film. so i'm not sure why this one will hit home more so than the thousands of films with the same themes have in the past. was there a significant cultural/societal shift after the release of Dances With Wolves? I think not. Does 3D make everything more significant?

Is Dances with Wolves at all the same experience as Avatar? Kids are eating up Avatar... they aren't eating up Dances with Wolves

--

Heres a post from another forum that also talks about why Avatar's success is a really good thing-

"Avatar making money is so great for so many reasons.

1) We get more Avatar

2) We get more James Cameron making whatever the fuck he wants

3) Other studios will look at the money Avatar is generating as a non-franchise, non-sequel, completely original film, and see that there is the potential for massive revenue in creating a new IP as opposed to solely working from one

4) The much-debated performance-capturing tech will have been proven exceptionally effective, both in terms of the actual visuals that result from it, and the ease and intuitiveness with which it makes directing a mix of CGI and live-action (though, obviously, not every director is James Cameron, and this point would also be proven if Avatar had made $0)

5) It will also prove, as a 2:40 hr long movie, that audiences are perfectly willing to wear 3D glasses for a movie that's worth it

Taken as a collective, Avatar will have advanced filmmaking, as was promised.

And also, greater recognition for awesome people like Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana."

Archived