IGNORED

Obama cancels NASA moon shit

Guest ezkerraldean

They say necessity is the mother of invention - I say we fill a capsule with a bunch of brainy scientists, a pile of raw materials and tools, and enough oxygen for the trip to Mars and then fire it off and film it as a reality show. Will the scientists be able to construct something that allows them to survive on the Martian surface in the space of 4 months using only a table saw and some pvc piping? Stay tuned!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They say necessity is the mother of invention - I say we fill a capsule with a bunch of brainy scientists, a pile of raw materials and tools, and enough oxygen for the trip to Mars and then fire it off and film it as a reality show. Will the scientists be able to construct something that allows them to survive on the Martian surface in the space of 4 months using only a table saw and some pvc piping? Stay tuned!

it would probably lose out in ratings to jersey shore and be canceled half-way

Do we ever see the results of space exploration? I never hear of a new product, method of doing something or vaccine created in space. What are they doing up there?!? Are all these Mars projects just tiny pieces of data that will eventually complete a large-scale scientific puzzle 100 years from now?

you're probably right, but i don't give a fuck, we should still do shit in space because it's awesome, innit.

Teflon nonstick pans. So what did nasa give us? A Denver omelet

And we slip down a notch on yet another nation measuring stick.

MANIFEST DESTINY, WOOHOO

USA USA USA

all good things come to an end. So we should be alright

Guest Tony Danza

I chuckled when I read "NASA reboots, focuses on cheaper, sustainable exploration" followed by a picture of hobby rockets.

Oh, hay!

Guest Masonic Boom

I wonder why no other science programs seem to invent anything. Like the hadron collider.

Not entirely true

1) always remember, CERN invented the (world wide) Web!

2) the LHC in specific has actually been responsible for a lot of innovations and discoveries within the field of supercooling and refridgeration which are filtering down to industrial and consumer uses - that's the only one I can remember offhand but I'm sure there are more from other programs.

Guest ezkerraldean

I wonder why no other science programs seem to invent anything. Like the hadron collider.

probably not as much since the LHC's an excercise in pure science. manned space travel started off as a way of both developing military technology and boasting to the rest of the world about how awesome you are. the science was usually secondary. hence, space travel has produced much more in terms of generally applicable technology. also explains why manned space travel has been in a lull since the end of the Cold War - the two original reasons reduced in importance.

Archived