IGNORED

What's your favourite composition?

Guest Ian

it is hard for me to really say what my single favorite track would be out of the billions i've listened to.

...thats all i'm sprayin.

(i think you might want to change the way you worded the question for this thread, it might then prove to be more popular, just a thought) :smile:

(watch out for roving packs of jazzbands)

Ok, point taken... although im having a little bother of how to edit the title... the new title is (which was my initial intention)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PIECE OF MUSIC THAT HAS A HIGH LEVEL OR ORCHESTRATION?

... for clarity, this isn't the same as 'favourite track'. For example, i prefer, say, frozen by madonnna than i do a number of evelyn glennie's pieces, but as far as orchestration goes frozen has very little and evelyn glennie's stuff has an abundance, so evelyn glennie would have to be above madonna as an answer for this question. Likewise with, for example, sirena huang and tool, jam packed with orchestration but up the list of 'favourites' i would put fever ray and static x, that have less (respectively).

More close to home (and hopefully it doesn't offend), beneath the ice by hp sneakstep is a good orchestration in my opinion, but as far as preference goes i prefer acidsnore by acidburp, that has less orchestration. Likewise with a lot of autechre's tracks, lots of orchestrations, but i don't actually like many of them.

With regard to my favourite track, i don't have 1, like many of you don't i doubt, but as far as orchestration goes the two i mentioned are my favourite.

Make sense? Hopefully i'm not talking in circles... in my own head i'm making sense ;)

I seem to be unable to edit my post, but i've thought of maybe a less ambiguous title...

What song do you like that, in your opinion, has the highest level of orchestration?

nice orchestra piece stix.. if you like that stuff you might like portishead's live performances... so many nuances in the harmonics in that.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PIECE OF MUSIC THAT HAS A HIGH LEVEL OF ORCHESTRATION?

this would be my vote +

press 'Use Full Editor' after you initially start to edit your thread post

and it will allow you to change the text in the title.

Ya i'm serious... i sometimes like listening to music with high amounts of orchestration. I was expecting quite a few replies to be honest as i thought as i thought a lot of other people here would as well because brain dance and idm seems popular, and both of those generally have more orchestration than mainstream music.... but oh well i guess most aren't interested.

I can't seem to edit the title... no edit option on first post, which is strange because i've edit one of my posts before... unless i'm just being completely stupid...

I just thought composition was a strange word to use. But orchestration is worse, it implies that the piece must be played by an orchestra(even though it doesnt really need to be).

Its kinda seems like you're looking for a piece of music that was written on manuscript before played. I obviously cant say for definite but i presume most IDM isnt written that way.

Also: Fairly generic topic. You could have searched and found plenty of threads Im sure.

Guest Wall Bird

For literal - symphonic - orchestration, I've got to go with 'The Rite of Spring'. Stravinsky is famously creative in juxtaposing multiple instruments all playing in unnatural registers. The classic example would be the bassoon introduction where it plays at the very peak of it's range to achieve the sound he wanted. Ravel was a fucking badass orchestrator too. 'Daphnis and Chloe' is un-fucking-believable when it comes to orchestral coloring and inflection.

As for a more modern example... I'd go with anything Ennio Morricone did in the sixties and seventies. It would not be uncommon for him to juxtapose classical symphonies, chamber music, stockhausen, music concrete, italian pop, american pop, tango instrumentation, or the latest avant tendencies within one or two songs. Electric guitar in his theme for 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly' was a stroke of genius:

[youtubehd]yu5Z9dAIpYg[/youtubehd]

His writing is superb. By extension, mandatory listening should be John Zorn's entire tribute album to Morricone; 'The Big Gundown'.

Honorable mention goes to 'Go Call You Mine' by Of Montreal for the sheer diversity and relentless hocketing. Just listen to this:

[youtubehd]TjjI4bQ8BFs[/youtubehd]

What a great pop song.

As far as i understand it, and i could be wrong, composition is the arrangement of a song, such as intro verse chorus verse chorus outro, for a common example. Orchestration is what you do inside the composition.

The reason both terms were in the title is because i seem to find people usually say composition when referring to either term, so i put both in to avoid confusion... which did more harm than good i'm thinking...

Film scores are often great pieces of orchestration in my opinion, as someone mentioned. Adverts can be as well.

Thanks for all pieces given by those who did though. That live girl boy was pretty crazy! =)

what's atpr mean anyway? ... i'm guessing it's not african theme park resort...

I just thought composition was a strange word to use. But orchestration is worse, it implies that the piece must be played by an orchestra(even though it doesnt really need to be).

Its kinda seems like you're looking for a piece of music that was written on manuscript before played. I obviously cant say for definite but i presume most IDM isnt written that way.

Also: Fairly generic topic. You could have searched and found plenty of threads Im sure.

er, what? orchestration means instrumentation/timbre... not necessarily that it's played by an orchestra. you could use it in terms of production as well as that fits too. anything that isn't pure notes.

i think the the OP is meaning is something like for flim (something that everyone will know). there's orchestration there but if you reduced it just to the notes - there's still music there. it translates when all the sound-information is taken away. whereas something like

but it's a bit of a nebulous thing anyway... music since the 20th century has become more and more about timbre and production. you can write music without any notes and it's still music. one isn't better than the other.

Well I was just going on this:

Orchestration is the study or practice of writing music for an orchestra (or, more loosely, for any musical ensemble) or of adapting for orchestra music composed for another medium.

Im not saying I no the definition of either. I was just saying what the suggest to me and why I though they were strange words to use.

As far as i understand it, and i could be wrong, composition is the arrangement of a song, such as intro verse chorus verse chorus outro, for a common example. Orchestration is what you do inside the composition.

The reason both terms were in the title is because i seem to find people usually say composition when referring to either term, so i put both in to avoid confusion... which did more harm than good i'm thinking...

Film scores are often great pieces of orchestration in my opinion, as someone mentioned. Adverts can be as well.

Thanks for all pieces given by those who did though. That live girl boy was pretty crazy! =)

what's atpr mean anyway? ... i'm guessing it's not african theme park resort...

www.afterthepostrock.com

Archived