IGNORED

Unable to comprehend high intelligence

Guest joshier

i place the current obseesion amongst the 'idm' (eugh) crowd with complexity right up there with the mid 70's developments in prog rock music which just became a horrible bloated competition for the longest. most complex guitar solos with the most timing changes and unorthodox time signatures.

generally speaking, withtin the sphere of the music that binds us here on watmm, complexity has been done, has been done brilliantly, and better than most by the acts mentioned so far.

seems like a moot point to pursue it.

complex does not necessarily equal good, and in a lot of cases it seems like arbitrary intellectual snobbery to me, a little like the term 'idm.

*bangs rocks together*

i place the current obseesion amongst the 'idm' (eugh) crowd with complexity right up there with the mid 70's developments in prog rock music which just became a horrible bloated competition for the longest. most complex guitar solos with the most timing changes and unorthodox time signatures.

generally speaking, withtin the sphere of the music that binds us here on watmm, complexity has been done, has been done brilliantly, and better than most by the acts mentioned so far.

seems like a moot point to pursue it.

complex does not necessarily equal good, and in a lot of cases it seems like arbitrary intellectual snobbery to me, a little like the term 'idm.

*bangs rocks together*

to me this is some of the best music, its hard to pull off, but when one does, its quite beyond traditional music imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSE9eZ1oQrk

I hope music goes further into this kind of direction. I don't think complexity is arbitrary, though you are correct in saying most is... however most music is not good, so thats really not specific to the idm genre

well, define complexity.

are you talking about exploration of "music theory"? is that what defines something as being complex?

you could listen to the modulated output of a computer system. one could argue that the information contained in that is highly mathematical and complex - chances are you'll just perceive it as white noise, though.

or, perhaps, where is the line drawn between "technical" and "artistic"?

at one point do you take off the beard and plaid shirt and put on a lab coat? at what point should people stop bothering to listen unless they're trying to discern whatever science you've distilled into your "music"?

this. music has to strike some sort of balance between repetition and change, between the expected and the unexpected. Head too much in the direction of complexity and you just head towards white noise.

The best experimental music is the experimental music that still _sounds_lovely_, and does so because it has stayed rooted to our expectations in at least one or two places.

Its all about balance, not running in a single direction as far as possible

Archived