IGNORED

hey PC users

Guest the anonymous forumite

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no.

When you said I'm entitled to get a 7 upgrade, who has to give it to me ? The shop or sony ?

well it's possibly debatable whether you're eligible for an upgrade to Windows 7 now, because you already downgraded to Windows XP. if my memory serves me right, the terms of downgrading are that you relinquish the Vista product key so that you can have XP. in order to upgrade, you would need that Vista product key.

it's a volume license key, printed on the underside of the computer

trust me, there's no problem there

sony.

do you have a direct link ?

not for sony us, sorry

no.

When you said I'm entitled to get a 7 upgrade, who has to give it to me ? The shop or sony ?

well it's possibly debatable whether you're eligible for an upgrade to Windows 7 now, because you already downgraded to Windows XP. if my memory serves me right, the terms of downgrading are that you relinquish the Vista product key so that you can have XP. in order to upgrade, you would need that Vista product key.

it's a volume license key, printed on the underside of the computer

trust me, there's no problem there

ahh that's alright then, i'd get straight on for a Windows 7 upgrade then

Well, I guess I'm fucked.

Your VAIO must have been bought between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010.

can they verify the date of purchase ?

I think the logic behind this deadline is that all computers post 31jan on sale already have 7 installed, so they don't wanna send an extra copy, right ?

In that case, I've been screwed....

no it's all fine. It even lists audio codecs. By the way, the screenshot above is not an actual screenshot, my warning sign is next to PCI devices.

OK then, that's good, that's the same thing i had. right click and go to properties every device with a warning sign, click around and find the driver tab or whatever, then tell it to update the driver and find it online.

that worked fine for my but my situation was somewhat different.

if you don't have a realtek controller listed under sound, video, and game controllers, then windows isn't even recognizing it as an unidentified device

did you run the VAIO\[model XP downgrade]\SETUP.EXE file after installing XP like i mentioned? it can also contain vital northbridge/southbridge drivers

Well, I guess I'm fucked.

Your VAIO must have been bought between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010.

can they verify the date of purchase ?

if you haven't registered it yet, then no. you could phone vaio-link and register the purchase date as sometime in january, then you'd qualify for the upgrade. but that would be lying.

Guest Al Hounos

why downgrade to xp hen you could upgrade to ubuntu? i did it on my vista-vintage acer and it recognized all my shit at startup... pretty amazing. :trashbear:

why downgrade to xp hen you could upgrade to ubuntu? i did it on my vista-vintage acer and it recognized all my shit at startup... pretty amazing. :trashbear:

a Linux distribution is not for everyone. considering the trouble being had here with Windows, i really think a Linux distribution would be a more exasperating choice.

did you run the VAIO\[model XP downgrade]\SETUP.EXE file after installing XP like i mentioned? it can also contain vital northbridge/southbridge drivers

Yes, it said that everything was instaled successfully. I also did the online install twice and everything was installed successfully, EXCEPT FOR THE MODEM driver, as I Mentionned earlier, which failed both times.

if you haven't registered it yet, then no. you could phone vaio-link and register the purchase date as sometime in january, then you'd qualify for the upgrade. but that would be lying.

So you are saying:

1) that i shouldn't order it online (the link you posted)

2) that I should call them instead

Is this correct ? If so, could I ask you for a phone number, I can't find it. I know I can be quite demanding, but I will show you gratitude.

Well, anyway, the nightmare is over, I upgraded to Windows 7 and it's all working perfectly fine.

Thank you Gordo and Eugene, a very special thank you Kaini, and obviously thank you Internet and my parents also.

I love you Watmm.

i just got a toshiba satellite L505 and i uploaded reason. started messing about and there was no sound. i contacted a pc savvy friend, he told me to go to asio4all.com, download something and i got it to work lickety split!

Archived