IGNORED

Good app for recording/digitizing vinly?

Guest blicero

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

let me google that for you... haha nah im not even gonna do that, audicity is supposed to be really good for this type of shit right? im curious as to how it does it more efficiently when recording vinyl is real time. does it automatically know when songs start and end etc?

eh I will just google my own questions

Guest blicero

i could google it, but i'd rather ask a community of vinyl junkies of which i am a part of. i know, pretty unreasonable. :p

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

watmm doesn't really seem to be so vinyl junkie crazy epic by the responses I was seeing in the thread about doing a 5 thrift store vinyl record sample watmm competition... most people were like uhhhh we would have to use records??? cant we just get sample packs off ta interwebs... lawlz

Any app built for "DIGITIZING YOUR RECORD COLLECTION" is going to be gimmicky and give you a headache. Try to stick with a good ol' fashion DAW like Audacity, Audition (what I use), Acid, Soundbooth, etc....

Here is my usual process:

Clean record

Needle drop on a loud part of the record and adjust your input until it's about to peak then drop it about 1 dB for safe measure

Record one side at a time

Take each side an normalize to your preferred level then slice into tracks

Take tracks and import them into DeClick - My Settings:

DeClick: 15

DeCrackle: off

Audiomatic

Wavelet

Take processed file and encode with favorite encoder... I use dBpowerAmp

Guest 277: 930-933

I use the same process as Goffer but leave out the declicking part.

It's import that your turntable is on a solid surface and that it doesn't pick up any rumble or thumping.

Might also filter out anything below 30-40 hz or so out of the recording.

Even though I hate Audacity with a passion it's fine for simple recording.

The DeClicking has been quite useful and a practice I just recently picked up. Saves me a lot of time and yields better results than manually doing it. The DeCrackle feature is useless though.

To go along with being on a solid surface... it's very important to have everything properly configured from the get-go: perfectly balanced turntable, balance tonearm with properly installed cartridge with suggested tracking force, anti-skate settings, a clean needle... if any of the above steps are overlooked you can cause serious harm to your vinyl.

Also forgot the true killer... static. I use a zerostat3 to eliminate my fuzzy little monsters.

It's a dangerous field you are stepping into blicero... be careful :)

I don't mind the occasional crackle, only do something about it if it's persistent or incredibly loud.

I don't mind the occasional crackle either... it is vinyl and that's what it does :emotawesomepm9:

I just recently ripped this album:

Quincy Jones - I Heard That!! - 1976

s61207.jpg

Took about 3 hours from start to finish but was it ever worth it.

Guest Adjective

Any app built for "DIGITIZING YOUR RECORD COLLECTION" is going to be gimmicky and give you a headache. Try to stick with a good ol' fashion DAW like Audacity, Audition (what I use), Acid, Soundbooth, etc....

Here is my usual process:

Clean record

Needle drop on a loud part of the record and adjust your input until it's about to peak then drop it about 1 dB for safe measure

Record one side at a time

Take each side an normalize to your preferred level then slice into tracks

Take tracks and import them into DeClick - My Settings:

DeClick: 15

DeCrackle: off

Audiomatic

Wavelet

Take processed file and encode with favorite encoder... I use dBpowerAmp

this sounds like the winner. an alternative to slicing into tracks is to make a .cue that references the track start/title of each track.

Recording is fine but for anything beyond that (even the slightest edit) Audacity sucks cocks. (in a bad way)

Guest ms-dos

gramophone-nostalgia.jpgmic_black.jpg

AnalogCapture_CaptureCard_Composite_LineIn.jpgsound_recorder.gif

you can thank me later.

i'm nearly positive this is how the recent sean booth\mika vainio\kouhei matsunaga collaboration was recorded

audacity is practically the only program you need to record literally anything

i'd rather use the demo to cool edit pro 97 than use audacity.

yeah, Audacity is really shit.

had a debate at a Manchester Linux User Group meeting last year on open source audio software, and the general consensus was that it was pretty dire compared to commercial offerings.

Guest blicero

Audacity doesn't do ASIO so that's a dealbreaker for me. I like Reaper, but I think I'll need a declick VST.

Archived