IGNORED

crackly vinyl...any help?

oscillik

posting from my phone so it'll be brief, just wanted to say thanks goffer for the in depth reply, with pics :D very awesome

Np dude

what i do is

clean record

:cisfor:

In regards to warped records, just buy a record clamp... you can get the Souther Record Clamp for $30 and that will flatten just about anything.

but when played,

it sounds like this.

Funnily enough, my Oversteps vinyl sounds pretty much exactly like that, on the first couple of minutes of side b. I've not tried cleaning it, but I'm thinking it's a pressing defect.

Everyone has a different way of cleaning records, mine is:

1. remove as much dust as you can with a carbon fibre brush

2. spray undiluted isopropyl on record, leave for 20 secs

3. spray on de-ionized water that has had a few drops of washing up liquid added to the bottle. only a few drops, mind..

4. gently work liquid into grooves using a different carbon fibre brush that is only used for wet cleaning

5. remove 95% of liquid with a microfibre cloth

6. completely dry record using a separate microfibre cloth

I've tried WD40, only once, not recommended, a WD40d record is a dust magnet from hell.

Awesome homemade vacuum attachment!

I finally ran out of my last stocks of D4 vinyl cleaning fluid the other day... which took care of my records for the past decade.. even my ambient records like ch-vox have hardly a pop on them. It was a sad day. You can't buy the real deal anymore as the old company got bought out and the new formula packaged under the same name as I have heard is absolutely terrible. Now I'm using purified water with a touch of isopropyl.. does the job ok but not as nice as the old D4.. it doesn't dry as quickly. Oh well..

Also doesn't WD-40 fluid leave some residue? That seems like a bad idea..

but when played,

it sounds like this.

Funnily enough, my Oversteps vinyl sounds pretty much exactly like that, on the first couple of minutes of side b. I've not tried cleaning it, but I'm thinking it's a pressing defect.

now i know why you've been slating your vinyl copy of Oversteps - mine definitely doesn't sound like this. i did wonder. is there any chance of getting in touch with bleep, maybe with a sample to show how bad it is?

thanks for your tip on cleaning - looks like i've got a few techniques to try out.

Guest lands end road

Are the crackles just at the beginning of each side? Those almost sound like static crackles, like the ones you get if you've brushed the record too hard or for too long.

Guest uptowndevil

what i do is

clean record

:cisfor:

only joking, i fully plan on using your procedure once i'm able to upgrade my record player. quite the ingenious setup you've come up with. :beer:

Are the crackles just at the beginning of each side? Those almost sound like static crackles, like the ones you get if you've brushed the record too hard or for too long.

it's crackly throught, it's just worse at the beginnings. i definitely think it is dirt though, as the stylus is filthy after only a few seconds of playback.

• 7 months later...
Guest nene multiple assgasms

Awesome homemade vacuum attachment!

I finally ran out of my last stocks of D4 vinyl cleaning fluid the other day... which took care of my records for the past decade.. even my ambient records like ch-vox have hardly a pop on them. It was a sad day. You can't buy the real deal anymore as the old company got bought out and the new formula packaged under the same name as I have heard is absolutely terrible. Now I'm using purified water with a touch of isopropyl.. does the job ok but not as nice as the old D4.. it doesn't dry as quickly. Oh well..

Also doesn't WD-40 fluid leave some residue? That seems like a bad idea..

is the d4 liquid actually different now? I heard that the new version of the brush is no good, but I figured the cleaning fluid would be the same. isn't it basically just purified water and alcohol? to clean my records I use both the old d4 brush and fluid and a generic carbon fiber brush; mostly just the latter once I get the record clean.

Archived