IGNORED

Can we get rid of IDM

chassis

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to change it?

• No, its fine.
    • Yes the name is shit.
    • I couldn't give a shit.

The fact that people are suggesting "abstract" and "experimental" makes me think that other people think of IDM completely differently than I do. For example, if someone made music in the style of Surfing on Sine Waves or Incunubula today, it would not be experimental. But I'd still call it IDM. And a lot of music I'd consider IDM isn't abstract at all, because it's got a pretty standard musical structure.

Abstract could be used to describe some music that I'd call IDM. For example, Eyes Set Against the Sun, by Mira Calix. But most IDM isn't like that. And there is a lot of experimentation in IDM, but that isn't necessary either.

I think of IDM as just being electronic music that's made to be listened to in the living room, or in the car, just as nice music to enjoy. It is supposed to be distinguished from dance music, which is written to get people moving in a club. I think there's also a distinction between IDM and Pop music, but that's harder to define. It just has a different sound that you can identify pretty easy, but it's hard to make a rigid distinction.

So basically I've always thought of IDM as the electronic variation of classical music (the kind that you go to a concert and listen to, not the kind that you walz to or whatnot). IDM is electronic music that you just sit and listen to for your own enjoyment.

IDM is a term that makes some sense to me. It's called intelligent, because it's the kind of music that you appreciate with your mind, not your dancing body. And I've always assumed it's called dance music just because it's electronic.

But maybe I'm using it completely different than other people.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PWSTEAL

I like the name IDM.

Makes me feel special,

like this style of electro music is intelligent & trance music is for idiots

who do E and know nothing but testo.

I like the name braindance alot though too,

because alot of IDM isn't music you can dance to.

The big difference between IDM & alot of other electronic genres

is that majority of electro music is meant for dancing & clubbing,

wear IDM (Braindance) is made for you to listen to, and dance in your brain 0_0

I like the name IDM.

Makes me feel special,

like this style of electro music is intelligent & trance music is for idiots

who do E and know nothing but testo.

I like the name braindance alot though too,

because alot of IDM isn't music you can dance to.

This reads like King Missile lyrics.

I think of IDM as just being electronic music that's made to be listened to in the living room, or in the car, just as nice music to enjoy. It is supposed to be distinguished from dance music, which is written to get people moving in a club. I think there's also a distinction between IDM and Pop music, but that's harder to define. It just has a different sound that you can identify pretty easy, but it's hard to make a rigid distinction.

So basically I've always thought of IDM as the electronic variation of classical music (the kind that you go to a concert and listen to, not the kind that you walz to or whatnot). IDM is electronic music that you just sit and listen to for your own enjoyment.

IDM is a term that makes some sense to me. It's called intelligent, because it's the kind of music that you appreciate with your mind, not your dancing body. And I've always assumed it's called dance music just because it's electronic.

But maybe I'm using it completely different than other people.

This is exactly how I see it.

Exactamundo.

Yeah, mind and body. A lot of IDM acts throw wicked dance parties.

If anything, it's the simplicity and yawn-inducing predictability of mainstream dance music, the boring arpeggios and irritating synth presets, not the dancing, that makes it unlistenable.

Archived