IGNORED

So I'm thinking about buying a sampler or something

Capsaicin

I've done very little music making and producing, but the Kaoss Pad samplers look ripped. So coming from a background of not a whole lot of electronic music creation (I've played around with Fruity Loops quite a bit though) what kind of sampler would you suggest I get?

Like I said, I have my eyes on the Kaoss Pads, but I'm open to other suggestions. This would be the first time I've purchased a piece of equipment other than my basic keyboard. If I find this interesting enough then I'll push beyond entertaining myself with the cool effects and start on some production and such.

and if you think a synth would be a better investment, then please suggest some cheap entry-level synthesizers.

yeah, you can't do much with just a kaoss pad really - would be tricky to use it for making entire tracks....they're more aimed at DJs really, for sampling loops and adding effects on the fly... to be honest, a hardware sampler is probably not the best thing to get for your first bit of kit...an Electribe ES-1 (a sampling groovebox) or an Akai MPC (a powerful sampling sequencer) would be your best bet if you must have something that can sample.

But why you need something like mpc? How is it better than fuity loops or ableton? I never touched any hardware sampler or sequencer and don't know how it works and how can you use it. Can somebody explain what for do you use mpc and what does it have that any software daw doesn't? Thank you.

But why you need something like mpc? How is it better than fuity loops or ableton? I never touched any hardware sampler or sequencer and don't know how it works and how can you use it. Can somebody explain what for do you use mpc and what does it have that any software daw doesn't? Thank you.

MPCs (or any other hardware) are not necessarily "better" than fruity loops or ableton etc, just a different way of doing the same thing....some people prefer the hands on approach to music making with hardware and some people think hardware just sounds better than software... I certainly like the immediacy and tactility of hardware gear, I like the blinking LEDs and the real knobs to turn, I like the smell of the warm circuits and I like the fact that it takes me about half an hour to turn everything on and set up all the channels and midi etc before I can even make any noises. ok it doesn't take half an hour, takes about 2 minutes, but it's more fun than just turning on your computer and loading up Fruity Loops or whatever.

Guest tompty

I recently got an MPC 60 and its now let me work completely OTB. Not only does the sampler make everythign sound wicked, but sequencing without looking at a screen has been a massive help.

If you are looking for just a sampler buy an Akai S950, same samplin engine as the mpc60 plus you get a nice analogue filter in there too.

Keep using Fruity Loops - it can do all you need. Get a used Roland Alpha Juno synth or something for under $200.

If you're in Sacto, get this for $60:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/1795172763.html

Oh wow. I just sent an email asking for a little bit more info on the synth, but I'll definitely pick it up if everything's in working condition. Thanks!

Guest Mtabor

Definitely go with the midi pads like that Korg Nano above. Pads open up a lot of the capabilities of FL or similar programs, and unless you are locked in to beatmaking its a lot more versatile than an MPC.

if you don't know shit about common sampler parameters you can get very creative re-sampling loop s with FX tweaks on a KP3 like Tim Exile

export the resamples via USB them to ableton for arranging

Archived