IGNORED

need some holiday ideas

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

I have a couple of weeks in between handing in my dissertation and having my final viva voce exam before this masters is done. I can't really revise for the viva exam because it covers a whole year of stuff in a ten minute session so I'm going to go somewhere. Not sure what to do though.

I could spend £500 or something I suppose. Was looking into something in Scandinavia but it looks really hard to keep the budget down. I like to drink beer a lot so I think I would be screwed there.

Thinking maybe do a little tour of Scotland since I've never been, but I'd rather go abroad properly, if nothing gets arranged then I can always go to Scotland last minute.

Any ideas? I'm basically thinking budget flight to somewhere in Europe or maybe north Africa, ideally a bit of country wilderness shit and a bit of seeing a big city. Or whatever really. Just need some ideas.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah maybe north wales would work, I've never really spent any time in Wales. might investigate that a bit.

I don't like weed so Amsterdam is not ideal, been there already anyway.

£500'll get you a week in an all inclusive hotel somewhere in the Med...basically a week sitting by the pool in the sun eating and drinking to your heart's content.

if you want something more sophisticated, try a city break in Europe - Berlin, Amsterdam, Riga, Budapest - loads of places to choose from...

£500'll get you a week in an all inclusive hotel somewhere in the Med...basically a week sitting by the pool in the sun eating and drinking to your heart's content.

if you want something more sophisticated, try a city break in Europe - Berlin, Amsterdam, Riga, Budapest - loads of places to choose from...

Yep.

Surely it's best talking to a travel agent LoL?

500 quid can get you a long way in some countries. Don't bother with Scandanavia unless your loaded (would love to see the Fjords of Norway in summer and Northern Lights in winter).

Take your 500 quid to an expert, eat, drink and be merry. Med, Turkey or North Africa.

Guest Coalbucket PI

yeah not sure about the med, potentially flying solo on this mission and I don't know if that would be a bit boring.

indeed there are loads of places to choose from, that's sort of the problem

Guest Coalbucket PI

I'd kind of assumed it would be better to wing it on my charm and smarts but might be worth going to a travel agent I suppose. Still would be better if I know where I want to go.

I'm looking in to Vienna or Istanbul at the moment

Guest Coalbucket PI

get on teletext!

hey their website is pretty shit hot for an undecided traveling eejit!

Having been to both Istanbul and Vienna, I'd definitely choose Istanbul. Also, Slovenia is pretty cool; Ljubijana and Lake Bled are great. Prague is cool too, but probs better to go with friends. I really want to do Berlin

If you can afford it, Reykjavik is also amazing. Plus you can head out to the coast easily from there and go whale watching, skidoo'ing, glacier climbing, bird watching, camping etc

Guest Coalbucket PI

Having been to both Istanbul and Vienna, I'd definitely choose Istanbul. Also, Slovenia is pretty cool; Ljubijana and Lake Bled are great. Prague is cool too, but probs better to go with friends. I really want to do Berlin

If you can afford it, Reykjavik is also amazing. Plus you can head out to the coast easily from there and go whale watching, skidoo'ing, glacier climbing, bird watching, camping etc

Lovely, will look in to Slovenia. and Reykjavik! could be just what I'm after. Are these coastal delights within day trip distance?

Yep easily within a day's travel. Iceland is a relatively small country, so easy to get about. When I was out there, it definitely wasn't cheap, but since the collapse of their economy, it may well be more affordable now.

If you want to stay near to Reykjavik, head north and go out on the West Coast. If you want to venture a little further, inland to the East is amazing; natural hot spas and barren, almost moon-like landscapes everywhere.

Guest Coalbucket PI

very interested in reykjavik

considering this 4 day laugavegurinn trek but I might just mess about around the city instead

Archived