IGNORED

What Were The Best Years In Electronic Music History?

Redruth

47 members have voted

1. 1. What Were The Best Years In Electronic Music History?

• Before 1960 ^

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

76-77 (station to station, low, heroes, kraftwerk at their peak)

78-80 (birth of new wave and electropop, eno ambient)

85-87 (acid house)

93-95 (ambient techno)

98-01 (idm at its peak)

we must remember that melody and rhythm should come togeather ... lest intrest get distracted altogether, and we're left with nothing but the odd broken feather,

beautiful words my friend.

very beautiful.

Guest enxyme

76-77 (station to station, low, heroes, kraftwerk at their peak)

78-80 (birth of new wave and electropop, eno ambient)

85-87 (acid house)

93-95 (ambient techno)

98-01 (idm at its peak)

Sound description...

Perhaps you could say electronic music in general hit it's peak from 98-01

Guest enxyme

Electronic music surely didn't hit it's peak until virtual studios became available...

To me that's when an extra level of creativity was being explored and produced...

I think It's obvious electronic EXPLODED during the 98 to 01 period into what we have today... :aphexsign:

the free party/rave scene kicked off in the uk around 1988 or so, and where i am it was more a 1990ish-mid 90's thing. altern 8, orbital, early prodigy and the like came out of that really.

peak.... um, i don't know if we've peaked yet? there's a bit more to go obviously - like this year for instance has been ferocious!

i think 2001 was 'a' peak - but i wouldn't dare to say it was 'the' peak

:fear:

Guest Z_B_Z

I need a "don't give a fuck" option for this poll. It's not necessarily when the music was released, its how good the music is.

Sorry Troon but this is a stupid question.

plus the term "electronic music" is so broad that its almost meaningless

electronic music is music made with electronic instruments

barring stupid pissy arguments like 'the first time someone committed something to tape, or used an electric guitar, it was electronic music', i think it's OK. besides, we all know what he means.

Guest enxyme

peak.... um, i don't know if we've peaked yet? there's a bit more to go obviously - like this year for instance has been ferocious!

i think 2001 was 'a' peak - but i wouldn't dare to say it was 'the' peak

:fear:

Troon I think your referring to how great the music IS compared to WAS... I was commenting on a previous thread which was referencing the different eras of electronic music... Make sense? :sorcerer: I used the word peak to mean a great jump in the amount electronic music making... Would be interesting to know how much electronic is being made today compared to that era... Perhaps a little more these days...

^Quite a bit more, I would imagine, what with the rise of vsts over the last decade. I could easily see a day when there are more highschool kids downloading copies of FL Studio & making techno than there are buying guitars & forming rock bands.

Guest enxyme

I think It's obvious electronic EXPLODED during the 98 to 01 period into what we have today... :aphexsign:

the free party/rave scene kicked off in the uk around 1988 or so, and where i am it was more a 1990ish-mid 90's thing. altern 8, orbital, early prodigy and the like came out of that really.

Again.. With the advent of the virtual studio, increased computer power, higher bandwidth, the popularization of the internet, etc... electronic music became MUCH MUCH MUCH more accessible around 99 to 02.. These were BOOM years for the making of electronic music... I'm not saying it was all good... The market became flooded with mediocre stuff(much like today) This was the great modern PEAK of electronic...

Guest enxyme

This is an interesting topic... Of course electronic elements are being incorporated into all the other styles of music and all music is recorded with computers... But I wonder if electronic music is more or less popular today than it was during the 98 to 01 era?? The club scene is almost dead in America... during the 98 to 01 era it was poping big son...

Archived