IGNORED

finally getting into joanna newsom

Guest tht tne

I really really want to like her and have listened to many of her tracks but the crazy vocal stylings and lyrics just always put me off. She's clearly talented, but I think she's like the marmite of vocal performers - people either love it or hate it, and I'm afraid I fall into the latter category.

(I also think the guy from Silver Mt. Zion sounds like Kermit the Frog trying to kick a smack habit, so you can judge the above critique on whether or not you agree with the prior statement)

I really really want to like her and have listened to many of her tracks but the crazy vocal stylings and lyrics just always put me off. She's clearly talented, but I think she's like the marmite of vocal performers - people either love it or hate it, and I'm afraid I fall into the latter category.

this is true for a lot of people, but she genuinely has sort of calmed down with the crazy vocal acrobatics and squeaks and yelps over the last few years (partly due to vocal chord nodules. yeh i'd have fucking nodules on my vocal chords too if i was making noises like that lol). there's a lot less of it on "ys" than on MEM, and there's less again on "have one on me". as for kermit the frog soundalikes, autotuned carl sagan sounds almost exactly like kermit:

Guest no carrier

(I also think the guy from Silver Mt. Zion sounds like Kermit the Frog trying to kick a smack habit, so you can judge the above critique on whether or not you agree with the prior statement)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ataraxy2

I have to bring attention to this thread to thank WATMM eternally for introducing me to Joanna Newsom. Thank you.

Guest ataraxy2

I've heard the first disc and a few others from Have One On Me and Emily from Ys so far. Listening to Emily I almost forgot to breathe.

Archived