IGNORED

ska, rocksteady, reggae

marf

Guest disparaissant

phew! i'm with you on old and grungy because goddamn, nothing annoys me more than 3rd wave ska punk, holy fuck.

phew! i'm with you on old and grungy because goddamn, nothing annoys me more than 3rd wave ska punk, holy fuck.

This is DD's 2nd wave makeover of his classic. I might like this version just as much... if not a little more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2aRfqp1sY

Funny story:

I was recently in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at a record shop (that I normally expect to have an asshole or two working at) and found this gem for $8...

NB5.jpg

If you don't know it, it is his 2nd wave collection of all of his first wave hits with a bunch of new musicians, plucked from British, 2nd wave Ska bands.

It is actually a dope LP.

I had been looking for it (as well as any other DD LP on vinyl) for a long time and was super stoked to find it.

When I brought it to the register to buy it, I said to the guy "I'm so excited about this. I'm really happy to have found it" or something along those lines.

His reply was "I never really was a big ska fan". The thing is, he said it in this way that was really mean and snarky. It was almost like he was trying to make me feel like an idiot for being stoked about finding something I really liked in his sacred shithole of a store... and then paying him for it.

I mean, I've never been a really huge "ska fan", so to speak, but come the fuck on. This stuck up twat probably never heard a Desmond Dekker LP in his life and just knows that he is "ska" because of some bullshit he's read in some pretentious music literature.

I felt like telling him to fuck off but I figured the joke was on him and that he would die being bitter about the fact he has no actual taste in music and he knows he won't acquire an ounce of it, no matter how long he works in his shitty little record store.

As far as I'm concerned, he can also go on selling me near-mint copies of amazing LPs in their original shrink wrap for pennies as long as it makes him feel tough.

As a matter of fact, that shop never really plays anything by black people, now that I think about it. It's always Bonnie Prince Billy or some bullshit like that.

I remember years back buying a Desmond Dekker live album from the 2nd wave era. It ended up being surprisingly good.

I saw him live about 15 years ago. He sounded great but looked really bad. It was kind of embarrassing.

Also - typical record store experience there. Not to say all record stores are like that, but so many that it's ridiculous. How many other businesses scorn you for buying what they're trying to sell?

Archived