IGNORED

Tree of Life

BOCfan

Bit of news about this been posted on Empire's website. The synopsis sounds interesting and I'm a big fan of his films, so I'm looking forward to this:

"We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, Jack, one of three brothers. At first all seems marvellous to the child. He sees as his mother does with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world’s way of putting oneself first. Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.

"From this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part. When he sees all that has gone into our world’s preparation, each thing appears a miracle—precious, incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life."

Guest Mirezzi

The_Fountain%20-%20Poster.jpg

That's giggle worthy, but in all honesty, I think Malick is incapable of that level of shitness. I sure as fuck hope he is...

Guest Scrambled Ears

That's giggle worthy, but in all honesty, I think Malick is incapable of that level of shitness. I sure as fuck hope he is...

maybe...but what about brad pitt and sean penn?

Guest Mirezzi

I know.

I loved Sean Penn in The Thin Red Line. I also thought Malick worked miracles with Colin Farrell in The New World. Then again, Farrell was excellent in In Bruges, so he can act when he feels like it.

Now, Brad Pitt. I simply can't stand him, so you got me there. I have never liked him...in anything...period. If Malick is able to make a great film with Brad Pitt in a key role, that will become his greatest accomplishment as a filmmaker! haha...

I know.

I loved Sean Penn in The Thin Red Line. I also thought Malick worked miracles with Colin Farrell in The New World. Then again, Farrell was excellent in In Bruges, so he can act when he feels like it.

Now, Brad Pitt. I simply can't stand him, so you got me there. I have never liked him...in anything...period. If Malick is able to make a great film with Brad Pitt in a key role, that will become his greatest accomplishment as a filmmaker! haha...

inglourious basterds

I have been waiting for this for far too long. Just acquired The Thin Red Line Criterion blu ray too which remains to be my favorite war film of all time :emotawesomepm9:

Brad Pitt, as expressed already is a bit scary for a lead, but I'll add to the list that Malick did well with Richard Gere in Days of Heaven... and I agreed that Pitt was shit in Inglorious Basterds, but not the most retarded aspect of the film.

Guest Mirezzi

Lol, leave it to Malick to come up with such a ponderous title.

lol, totally...ponderous, cheesy, and awesome, although probably not as bad as "Days of Heaven". He picks Sierk titles, but fortunately, his films are as awesome as Sierk's.

Regarding Richard Gere, I don't think he hid him quite as well.

Plus, Richard Gere is, if nothing else, an understated (some would say boring) actor. He did just fine in his role in Days of Heaven; he was at a very fresh-faced point in his life which worked with the close-ups, and his job was pretty simple: stand around and become an ambient part of the scenery, and occasionally get in fistfights.

When Brad Pitt stands around trying to look serious, he always lets his lower lip hang down. I expect it'll be a reprise of his role in Meet Joe Black, with Malick-style voice-over in the background.

Pitt is a very likeable actor even when he's glaringly bad, which is most of the time. He was great in bit roles early in his career, like in Thelma and Louise and True Romance, but I think he's been barely passable in everything else. He tries really hard, which is commendable, I guess. I think there's just a dividing line between people who think he was brilliant in over-the-top roles like 12-Monkeys, Snatch, and Inglorious Basterds, and people who think he was terrible. When he plays it straight, as in Seven or The Assassination of Jesse James he can manage to pull it off, but just barely. I don't think there'll ever be a point where I say "he was the best part of that film." I just don't think there's a lot of hidden depth there to discover. But I suppose Malick has a better chance than most at proving me wrong. Would have been funny if he had chosen Tom Cruise.

Guest Mirezzi

Plus, Richard Gere is, if nothing else, an understated (some would say boring) actor. He did just fine in his role in Days of Heaven; he was at a very fresh-faced point in his life which worked with the close-ups, and his job was pretty simple: stand around and become an ambient part of the scenery, and occasionally get in fistfights.

When Brad Pitt stands around trying to look serious, he always lets his lower lip hang down. I expect it'll be a reprise of his role in Meet Joe Black, with Malick-style voice-over in the background.

Pitt is a very likeable actor even when he's glaringly bad, which is most of the time. He was great in bit roles early in his career, like in Thelma and Louise and True Romance, but I think he's been barely passable in everything else. He tries really hard, which is commendable, I guess. I think there's just a dividing line between people who think he was brilliant in over-the-top roles like 12-Monkeys, Snatch, and Inglorious Basterds, and people who think he was terrible. When he plays it straight, as in Seven or The Assassination of Jesse James he can manage to pull it off, but just barely. I don't think there'll ever be a point where I say "he was the best part of that film." I just don't think there's a lot of hidden depth there to discover. But I suppose Malick has a better chance than most at proving me wrong. Would have been funny if he had chosen Tom Cruise.

hahahaha, I thought of Meet Joe Black, too. That's hilarious...

Also, I forgot about The Assassination of Jesse James, in which I actually thought he was damned good. So fuck, nvm, I guess anything is possible. It helps that I completely loved the film and it also helps that Brad Pitt's star persona was very much a part of what the film was interrogating via the life and story of Jesse James.

Hard to top days of heaven and badlands

i didn't like thin red line as a ™ movie

it was a well filmed war movie and sean penn is that dude but i am hopingthi is his swan song

thin red line was arguably Malick's best work to date. Although I've enjoyed everything I've seen that he's directed immensely (which is basically everything that is available for the general public, can someone please go steal a copy of Lanton Mills?)...just checking his IMDb page, he's directing a movie called "the burial" which has Ben Affleck and Rachel Weisz....

Archived