IGNORED

conventional question need answer please help!

vamos scorcho

basically i have an m audio fast track pro "audio interface" and i have a guitar plugged into it.

i want to hear the sound on my headphones, however i don't have the piece that takes my headphone wire and turns it bigger so it will go into the fast track headphone output (i really need to learn the names for the different cables...)

--so i want to have the input go into the fast track, down the usb, and into logic

--but instead of being forced to hear the music by plugging the headphones into the fast track, i want to plug them into the computer - to use the computer as an output

i have a feeling this is impossible with my given materials but i could use an educated answer anyways.

thanks!

i figured it out. kind of.

basically in logic it wasn't giving me the option to change the output. so i decided to see if i could work it with ableton.

turns out i can. so i solved my problem. input with the fasttrack output with the computer.

it's really very fortunate because now i'm learning to use ableton for production and it's actually proving to be very enjoyable/refreshing.

Guest ryanmcallister

little known fact:

if you are on mac you can go into your core audio device setup and create virtual outputs that can combine various hardware. for example you can send audio out to 4 different audio cards and have them all be selectable by one name in your DAW's output select. these are called "aggregate devices" and you can google how to create them if interested.

this is useful because in vamos's situation in logic you can only select 1 device for both input and output. ableton lets you pick them independently but this is rare. setting up an aggregate device would let him use his built in headphone out for the output and his audio card for the input all by selecting "aggregate device 1" in the Logic setup.

not sure if there's anything similar on windows though.

little known fact:

if you are on mac you can go into your core audio device setup and create virtual outputs that can combine various hardware. for example you can send audio out to 4 different audio cards and have them all be selectable by one name in your DAW's output select. these are called "aggregate devices" and you can google how to create them if interested.

this is useful because in vamos's situation in logic you can only select 1 device for both input and output. ableton lets you pick them independently but this is rare. setting up an aggregate device would let him use his built in headphone out for the output and his audio card for the input all by selecting "aggregate device 1" in the Logic setup.

Shhh we can't let it get out that macs actually have some clever stuff under the hood.

little known fact:

You can do it with ASIO4ALL.

Guest ryanmcallister

little known fact:

Shhh we can't let it get out that macs actually have some clever stuff under the hood.

i'm sorry, please don't take away my "cult of mac" membership card... :(

Archived