IGNORED

North Korea attacks South Korea

Capsaicin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

breaking:

North Korea deploys surface-to-air missiles on its coast as U.S. and South Korea prep for navy drills, Yonhap reports.

(URGNET) Emergency evacuation order issued for civilians on Yeonpyeong Island, official says

Explosion sounds of artillery fire heard on Yeonpyeong Island, official says - Yonhap.

history making shit happening right now?

breaking:

North Korea deploys surface-to-air missiles on its coast as U.S. and South Korea prep for navy drills, Yonhap reports.

(URGNET) Emergency evacuation order issued for civilians on Yeonpyeong Island, official says

Explosion sounds of artillery fire heard on Yeonpyeong Island, official says - Yonhap.

history making shit happening right now?

nah it's not half as entertaining as the awep/cbrown spat, or indeed the wikileaks controver[^Q*#^%#^%(#CARRIER LOST]

Guest Franklin

i think people are changing their opinions on this here in the west. There seem to be more and more people positing that China will likely pursue fiscal strategies over political ones in the end, which favours a south korean take-over or at least north korean disarmament. I think a theoretical united korea would have to guarantee trade with China for the Chinese to come around --I believe the south koreans and americans are working on this plan by the sounds of some of the new wikileaks.

i think people are changing their opinions on this here in the west. There seem to be more and more people positing that China will likely pursue fiscal strategies over political ones in the end

is there really a difference?

I finally heard a Western voice who matched the "inside" sentiment chenGOD has typically brought in these threads. His name is Michael Breen and he wrote this book.

He's a very entertaining guy to listen to. He calls NK "nutters" and pointed out chen's logic by saying "everyone is embarrassed by NK, especially China; they're not sure what to do with them either". China values easy trade and money flow--an idea I had never considered before--and NK is doing their damndest to somehow fuck that up leading to a worldwide :facepalm:

calling the North Korean nutters is ridiculous, and Breen is an idiot who used to be a Moonie.

China's relationship with North Korea is somewhat reminiscent of Qing China's relationship with Korea around the end of the 19th century. Which is they claimed suzerain status over Korea, but wanted to give them autonomy at the same time. No one outside China and Korea knew what exactly the relationship was, and the Chinese and Koreans weren't entirely sure either.

So pretty much the same as what's going on now.

As to the economic situation I wrote earlier in the thread that China wants stability because stability is good for business, the US wants stability for the same reason.

I wrote to a friend on facebook today:

It was pretty clear that China was not willing to back NK in any sort of military capacity: China is all bout the CREAM and they need stability. Since Japan and SK are huge investors into China, NK blowing them up is not to China's advantage.

Plus stability attracts foreign investment, warfare tends to draw cash out of the affected region in a hurry.

China was pretty stinging in its rebuke of NK after NK set off the bomb, I think they cut off power to the border after the test and suspended some food aid.

I think the NK leadership was pretty aware of this, and are playing their hand deep now.

Anyways: this is all idle speculation, the world is gonna end in 2012. Nachos Grande all around!

Archived