IGNORED

gypsies/romany/traveller people

keltoi

Guest futuregirlfriend

race

ethnic

lol

a malnourished horse and portfolio of biohazardous disaster sites could be my get out of jail free card.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UK government didn't allow an Act to stop people from tethering horses as it's 'politically sensitive'

Who cares? Horses are only for little rich girls whose daddies can afford stabling?

Guest Dirty Protest

I like the dancing peadophile scenes every week, Channel 4 have even surpassed minipops with this program. Needs more people with deformed heads in it, but.

I wont post the recently obligatory Stewart Lee vid about C4 =)

If you're in the UK and your train is cancelled then it's probably because these bastards have nicked the signalling cables.

there's a site just outside Stockport, a couple of years ago they left one of their horses in the middle of the main road to keel over and die. What a sight :lol:

Guest Lube Saibot

Heres a race of people affected by rapidly expanding laws that put paid to their preferred lifestyles,persecuted historically for centuries,misunderstood,ridiculed,hated,humiliated...

theres a whole rich& colourful tapestry behind the different branches of traveler culture...

tigani.jpg BAAWWW I IZ PERSAQTED FOR MAH KULCHER!!

you have no idea what you're talking about. then again, i have no idea who YOU're talking about. that gypsy wedding programme is about pikeys and whatnot. It is a big misconception that US pikeys and the rest of european gypsies are from the same flock. not at all. i have no beef with the completely caucasian "gypsies", who are actually are just an offshoot of some other nomadic ethnicity from more up north.

gypsies, or "roma", are that fuck in that pic up there, in a nutshell.

and their "rich/colorful tapestry" is half-way borrowed elements of Turkish customs (which are awesome) and vague remains of their vague Indian ancestry (which, is also awesome). they manage to corrupt those borrowed memes (i use "meme" in the pre-4chan sense) into a vile, outwardly maleficent "culture" that is nothing more than a cannibalistic, predatory mindset given a passive and sickly execution.

i'd compare them to some sort of pest but there is no multicellular creature lowly enough to merit comparison. cancer cells maybe? yeah, that's about right...

Guest Lube Saibot

i love the REAL gypsie way of life, like in the films, the time of the gypsies and black cat white cat

they are my favourite films

those people are awesome but they don't exist. "REAL gypsie way of life" lol.

The UK government didn't allow an Act to stop people from tethering horses as it's 'politically sensitive'

Who cares? Horses are only for little rich girls whose daddies can afford stabling?

That was truly an amazing post until i noticed it didn't say stabbing.

i love the REAL gypsie way of life, like in the films, the time of the gypsies and black cat white cat

they are my favourite films

those people are awesome but they don't exist. "REAL gypsie way of life" lol.

well i guess its a bad idea to goto belgrade for a holiday

Haha, you're so small minded

One of my best friends has predominantly gypsy heritage. I forget what specific type, but whatever it is those genes are killer. She is smokin' hot and feisty as fuck. :wub:

Should have kept it while I had the chance.

Haha, you're so small minded

Psch, your mind isn't large enough to even conceive of the sheer scope of mine. :braindance:

Guest ShizKoE

I actually come from a gypsy family (my father's side anyway) and although the documentary series has mainly focused on Irish travellers, which are quite distinct from other gyspy cultures, it has been pretty accurate of the gypsy culture which I was for a brief while bought up with (although I never actually witnessed grabbing, even though sexism was pretty much embraced).

Also many of the stereotypes people have addressed in the thread are actually quite truthful, but observing my family at least, this is because of the alcohol abuse / drug abuse (although you'll find a very strong resistance to drugs in older generations) / incest etc. that occur in some gypsy communities. In my experience I've actually found that gypsies that live a more traditional gypsy lifestyle that steer clear of these problems are actually decent people.

It's an extremely bizarre subculture of society that have got some truely bizarre values (for example my family believed that saying cancer would actually give you cancer :facepalm: ). I could go on for hours telling stories about them, but I'm pretty drunk atm and I havn't spoken to my father or anyone of that side of the family for over ten years for various reasons, so I'm gonna be a bit biased when discussing them.

P.S. I've noticed that many some people have been posting the word pikey referring to gypsies. Believe it or not the word pikey is itself a gypsy word which refers to gypsies that work on fairground rides, which gypsies themselves believe to be a form of "underclass gypsy", hence why a gypsy would be offended by the term. :cisfor:

That's interesting actually. Perhaps you could explain something; I've always wondered why gypsies choose to pursue their nomadic lifestyle. Is it some sort of genetic wanderlust? On a practical level they seem to have occupations conducive to a mobile existence but this seems to be more an effect than a cause...

I know many of them have settled in houses in recent times. Would you say this is a result of external pressures from the rest of society?

Guest ShizKoE

That's interesting actually. Perhaps you could explain something; I've always wondered why gypsies choose to pursue their nomadic lifestyle. Is it some sort of genetic wanderlust? On a practical level they seem to have occupations conducive to a mobile existence but this seems to be more an effect than a cause...

Gypsies pretty much take pride in their heritage to the logical extreme, they have a fascination with being completely isolated from the rest of society. I remember as a child every year we had to attend a massive gypsy festival and every year being constantly reminded to not tell anyone that my mother was not a gypsy as they feared being shun from other distant family members and other gypsy families. Thinking about it, there seems to be a near fascist element to the gypsy culture I grew up with, the idea of purity is stressed at a very young age.

I know many of them have settled in houses in recent times. Would you say this is a result of external pressures from the rest of society?

This is simply because they can :sorcerer:

In seriousness I had family members that both had houses and lived on a campsite. There tended to be a split between those that used to settle in a house to try and assert themselves as higher up in the family heriarchy, essentially using the house as a status symbol, whereas others preferred to live on the campsite, trying to assert themselves as higher up by being truer to their heritage. This wasn't really much of an issue though in my family, they seemed more concerned about getting insurance money by purposely setting each other's caravans on fire.

The problem is that society doesn't know enough about the community, there are some that rip you off but there is mostly good amongst them. My parents were florists and did a funeral for a family, who wanted the most spectacular displays really beautifully done and they paid in full. If you treat people like dirt, they will treat you like it too.

There needs to be a better bridge between communities of travellers and the perniment housed public, instead the government try to avoid the issue completely, instead of forming a solution to the wider issues. Why I also bring up the issue of tethering is because it is usually done on public land.

It's sad that in this thread there are fairly racist remarks...

Guest Lube Saibot

I'm really confused by the word "gypsy" being used to describe 2 fundamentally ethno-genetically different and geographically/historically separate nomadic peoples.

In seriousness I had family members that both had houses and lived on a campsite. There tended to be a split between those that used to settle in a house to try and assert themselves as higher up in the family heriarchy, essentially using the house as a status symbol, whereas others preferred to live on the campsite, trying to assert themselves as higher up by being truer to their heritage. This wasn't really much of an issue though in my family, they seemed more concerned about getting insurance money by purposely setting each other's caravans on fire.

But surely they always could. I know I'm probably romanticising it a bit but the idea of a life on the road travelling from village to village doesn't sound entirely unappealing to me (laying the apparent thievery, violence and scamming to one side for just a moment). Especially if you lived in a country with nice scenery. Just seems that this is a bit impractical in modern times due to the rest of the population being so obsessed with land and property ownership and the contempt shown to those who just wanna move around a bit.

Guest ShizKoE

But surely they always could. I know I'm probably romanticising it a bit but the idea of a life on the road travelling from village to village doesn't sound entirely unappealing to me (laying the apparent thievery, violence and scamming to one side for just a moment). Especially if you lived in a country with nice scenery. Just seems that this is a bit impractical in modern times due to the rest of the population being so obsessed with land and property ownership and the contempt shown to those who just wanna move around a bit.

The obsession with private land has definitely had an affect on gypsy culture, largely due to the sidelining of them from society (which I think was the original point you were trying to get at but I probably misread the question). The ownership of private land has pretty much become their last resort to being able to survive in our society, as it's the only way they can be protected from being constantly pestered by the law and from many people in society which are baffled by the idea of abandoning the idea of private ownership of land. The issue of moving from house to caravan has probably had an affect by this, as for some moving into a isolated area of houses is the only possible way of holding on to their culture.

Unfortunately this isolation of gypsies has pretty much destroyed traditional Romani culture in some communities, which for some has since become a culture built on misinterpretations of the traditional culture and values which have developed through the inevitable turning to substance abuse and other negative factors (which is common in pretty much any isolated community of society).

If you don't own the land and pay no taxes then gtf off it. In Scotland we have the right to rome...this does not mean the right to park and stay where the fuck we want. It means we have the right to walk or pass through.

If you own the land then fine....but don't take bits of my land or anything on it without asking, do not presume that because you live next to me that mine is yours etc....

Do not bring your animals on to my land just because it is green and you have ran out of grass.

Do not fling all your unrefined human/animal waste into the nearest river/watercourse like the olden days as it now called pollution.

Do not just think that you are due a share in wild animals running free in the countryside as some are now protected.

I can see the point and i like the idea of being a FREE person.....BUT.....FFS...move with the times.

It's over. Pay your fucking taxes. Until 'the gypsies' do then they will never be accepted. ANYWHERE.

And btw.....never walk into my garden and just take the old hifi and speakers i sat at my front door without asking, fuck me it was only there for 30 mins and you had it off on the back of one of them pickup trucks. (true story) Lol though as it didn't work and had no cables with it so no copper wire for you lot, it was all in my garage next to the rest of the scrap metal i had been collecting......

:)

I actually come from a gypsy family (my father's side anyway) and although the documentary series has mainly focused on Irish travellers, which are quite distinct from other gyspy cultures, it has been pretty accurate of the gypsy culture which I was for a brief while bought up with (although I never actually witnessed grabbing, even though sexism was pretty much embraced).

Also many of the stereotypes people have addressed in the thread are actually quite truthful, but observing my family at least, this is because of the alcohol abuse / drug abuse (although you'll find a very strong resistance to drugs in older generations) / incest etc. that occur in some gypsy communities. In my experience I've actually found that gypsies that live a more traditional gypsy lifestyle that steer clear of these problems are actually decent people.

It's an extremely bizarre subculture of society that have got some truely bizarre values (for example my family believed that saying cancer would actually give you cancer :facepalm: ). I could go on for hours telling stories about them, but I'm pretty drunk atm and I havn't spoken to my father or anyone of that side of the family for over ten years for various reasons, so I'm gonna be a bit biased when discussing them.

P.S. I've noticed that many some people have been posting the word pikey referring to gypsies. Believe it or not the word pikey is itself a gypsy word which refers to gypsies that work on fairground rides, which gypsies themselves believe to be a form of "underclass gypsy", hence why a gypsy would be offended by the term. :cisfor:

in reading all that i can sleep well tonight knowing..... that some, only some, take part in the incest/wife beating

and also that i was once a pikey

Archived