IGNORED

gypsies/romany/traveller people

keltoi

there's been a documentary showing here about gypsies, their lives and lavish weddings, etc. (my big fat gypsy wedding)

i've never had any experience with gypsies at all and don't know anything about them other than what i've seen on tv.

how can they afford all these fancy cars, weddings, furniture, etc?

how do they feel entitled to take over other people's property without paying rent, council tax, NI contributions, etc? they seem to claim persecution when evicted from land they don't have any right to. maybe years ago when lots of land seemed free and unclaimed they could go where they liked?

and why do they teach their very young children to girate suggestively in skimpy outfits at weddings and social gatherings?

do you have any first hand experience with gypsies?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to work on a little chef on a main throughfare to the holyhead ferry terminal, and ive had alot of experiences serving pikeys, and as much as i dislike racial (?) stereotyping, every single one i met was a cunt. and i met hundreds.

I worked at a hotel that once hosted a gypsy wedding. They paid with a carrier-bag full of notes. Idiotically, the manager accepted the bag of obviously dodgy money and never even bothered to flick through it before locking it in a safe.

Yeah, you guessed it, after the wedding it turned out that only the top layers of the wads were real notes and the rest was blank paper.

The 'work-shy' Gypsy

Whilst it is largely true that Gypsies are rarely seen to be engaged in full-time wage labour, it would be a mistake to conclude that Gypsies are by their very nature, work-shy. In fact, they resent the restrictions imposed by the wage-labour system preferring to find loopholes in the Gorgio economy. Women and children contribute to the finances of the family unit, the latter acquiring skills considered to be more valuable by many Gypsies than academic excellence (Okely 1983, p 33). Okely also found that reliance on social security payments was frowned upon as it diminishes Gypsy independence from the rest of society (Okely 1983, ch 4) . Traditional travelling fairs such as Appleby and Stow (established for over five-hundred years) which generate income for many Gypsies, are constantly under threat. This in itself may inevitably lead to Gypsies being forced to turn to social security, as has happened with 'New Age Travellers' who have faced heavy police presence and eviction orders when they congregated on common land for annual events such as Stonehenge for the solstice and the White Goddess festival in Cornwall.

Contents | Bibliography

The Criminal Gypsy

As regards Gypsy criminality, many allegations remain unsubstantiated:

"Excrement was smeared in a bus shelter earlier in the week. Many blamed the gypsies, but when ...a parish councillor and staunch supporter of the fair investigated, the man who cleans the toilets revealed he had seen the culprits at work - two local girls. Even so, the council had set up a hotline for people to report any similar incidents." ('Fair or foul, gypsies go to town' The Observer, 15 May 1994).

Accusations of theft are rife when Gypsies reside in a new area, although again, they tend to be unsubstantiated. A survey in the West Riding of Yorkshire in 1968 found that recorded incidents of theft by the Gypsy community were only 0.46% higher than that for the house dwelling community; although many more crimes were alleged, including cannibalism and murder! (Adams et al 1975, p 163). The Association of Chief Police Officers have also recently confirmed in a recent letter to the Department of Environment that the Gypsy community cause no major policing problems (ACPO Letter to the D/E 1992).

Contents | Bibliography

The Gypsy as 'Social- parasite'.

The perception of Gypsies as 'social parasites' is particularly disturbing. There are statistics which clearly demonstrate that public site provision costs substantially less than council housing (National Gypsy Council 1992) and Gypsy organisations have insisted that it is their wish to provide their own accommodation without relying on state funds (National Gypsy Council 1992). Facilities that the house-dwelling community take for granted, such as good health care and sanitation, are often denied to those on the road. Gypsies have a specific difficulty in gaining access to education; in 1985 Lord Swann found that the Gypsy community "illustrates to an extreme degree" the difficulties experienced by many other ethnic minority groups in gaining adequate education (D/Ed 1985). Europe-wide studies have shown that this problem is repeated elsewhere and UNESCO is presently conducting a pilot project, in conjunction with Greece and Spain, to improve the literacy problem (see generally Interface 1991-95).

Gypsies have been so incensed by these contemptuous labels that they have directed their anger towards the newer forms of travelling people, notably the 'New Age Travellers':

"Gypsies are being blamed by the Government for the hippies. Hippies are not travellers-they don't work, they don't do anything. They just roam around and we are getting the blame." (Thomas & Campbell 1992).

In fact, the lifestyle of most Gypsies is very different from that of the newer travelling groups and the popular conceptions fail to appreciate the importance the community attaches to customs and traditions, many of which have been inherited from the original Gypsy settlers.

http://webjcli.ncl.ac.uk/articles3/onions3.html

btw kel, those gypsies owned the land they were being evicted from because they hadn't applied for planning permission for their vans. you don't need planning permission to park a van in your drive.

actually i said i'd had no dealings with them but now remember a similar encounter...

the company i work for did some work for a traveller big-wig, ex bear-knuckle boxer champion and general dodgy character who also paid us deposit with about £25K in a poly bag. he signed the order form with a big X cos he couldn't read or write. his house went on fire shortly after we finished our work. we heard he'd sell cars and have them 'stolen' back using spare keys, then sell them abroad and dodge the tax.

incidentally, used to live on a hippy site that had a gypsy family on it too.. (very rare to find hippies and romani together but there you go)

they were ok. very culturally different, but totally cool to live with.

and they all worked, even the kids.

btw kel, those gypsies owned the land they were being evicted from because they hadn't applied for planning permission for their vans. you don't need planning permission to park a van in your drive.

yeah as i understood it, they had no planning permission to build permanent structures so were in breach of their agreement. noone else is allowed to just build walls and houses wherever they want.

there's so many wtf moments in this documentary like 'grabbing'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCRygfR9kvs

don't get me wrong... i'm not saying they're not insualar and dodgy as far as outsiders go, cos they are, but they have very good reason to be.

anyways. tesco are allowed to build where they like. :rolleyes::spiteful:

my big fat gypsy wedding is essential watching - if you've not seen it, watch it. it's not really about weddings, more an insight into the gypsy/pikey way of life. some of it is unbelievable....

and they afford all their cars/weddings/helicopters etc as they are often heavily involved in various scams, theivery, racketeering and violence with a view to making lots of cash.

don't get me wrong... i'm not saying they're not insualar and dodgy as far as outsiders go, cos they are, but they have very good reason to be.

what is this reason?

only centuries of persecution.

anyway, i'm just saying that i can see their point of view. cunts ripped me off on a sherpa van. i'm not the pro-spokesperson for the tinks by any stretch.

what is this reason?

only centuries of persecution.

but don't you think they bring this on themselves to some extent? opting out of society, taking all they can from it while giving nothing in return.

obviously there are different types of traveller/gypsy, i'm not suggesting they're all like that.

Guest ansgaria

On the Roskilde festival here in Denmark the romas (as some call them) obtain a ticket for the festival and hop around all festival trying to gather cans for recycling and getting money out of that. I found it quite silly until I realized how many cans they actually gather, I've seen families with at least 10 filled plastic bags with cans, that's a shitload of cash. And they're fucking serious about it, I saw a stoned lad go over to one, grab a knife and slice a hole in the bags and he jumped at his throat yelling "YOU WANNA DIE, YOU WANNA FUCKING DIE!?".

Fucking annoying when they squeeze through hoards of fans at the concerts, not caring a bit about anyone else.

Thieving little cunts.

We have a site round the road from where I work. They can afford luxeries because they don't pay for them. They steal everything they can without worries because the police won't go near them. They come and eye up whatever you have that's valuable and then come back that night and take it. It's happened several times.

At night they block their camp entrance with cars so old bill can't enter. God knows what they get up to in there.

But then again when I was a young pillhead I got on with a couple of pikeys quite well. They were still thiefs though. You could ask them for anything and they would get it for a small charge.

There was a story in the paper about when the holed up in their house and were shooting at the police, fire dept and army if I remember correctly. And they had them old fire engines because there was a fire dept strike. What was the name of them? I'll try and find the story.

I'm well familiar with their kind, roma I only see in the interior, I don't know why they would cross half of Europe to come here. You shouldn't really put the roma and gypsies in the same bag with the travelers/caravan people in the UK, those aren't actually gypsies.

I'm well familiar with their kind, roma I only see in the interior, I don't know why they would cross half of Europe to come here. You shouldn't really put the roma and gypsies in the same bag with the travelers/caravan people in the UK, those aren't actually gypsies.

as far as i understand you are wrong on this.

gypsy is a bit of a blanket term encompassing all of these travelling groups including irish travellers. and roma is an eastern european subgroup of the romani people (so wiki tells me).

Guest ezkerraldean

pikeys would come to our town a few times each year (Herefordshire). they'd set up camp in one of the carparks and hang up their washing between trees etc, when they left there'd be rubbish and bags of human shit EVERYWHERE. they'd drive their vans round town too, the wrong way round the one-way system, really recklessly too. They'd start fights every night in one of the pubs in town. The po-po were too scared of them to do anything (there were only three po-po in the town, though). I got chased by a bunch of pikey kids once (after egging their caravans lol) but ended up managing to convince them that it wasn't me that did it - and consequently had a conversation with them about how everyone hates them wherever they go. They sounded Irish and dressed like it was the 18th century lol

oh and they'd always nick fuckloads of cars when they came. one time they ripped up all the bins in the park by the river, concrete foundations and all. probably flogged for scrap metal. they're too numerous and violent for any kind of law to be enforced upon them

there'd always be loads camping at a few places on the road to Gloucester too, year-round.

actually one time, some proper Romani stayed in the town too, blocked off the entrance to the town's cycle-track bypass with their big wooden caravan. They had two donkeys. They also left carrier-bags full of human shit

I made a dub track incorporating loads of samples of pikeys shouting and fighting once, I'll have to dig it out lol

Guest ezkerraldean

anyway, i'm just saying that i can see their point of view. cunts ripped me off on a sherpa van. i'm not the pro-spokesperson for the tinks by any stretch.

haha sherpas are the ultimate pikey wagons

haha sherpas are the ultimate pikey wagons

yup. four cenny up the shitpipe for a cut-n-shut.

as far as i understand you are wrong on this.

gypsy is a bit of a blanket term encompassing all of these travelling groups including irish travellers. and roma is an eastern european subgroup of the romani people (so wiki tells me).

Perhaps the English definition includes those but in continental Europe when we think of "gypsies" we think of the western gypsies (Iberian/France) and the eastern (Roma), basically the ones that came from India. The gypo in the UK is just a bum in contrast since they don't have much in common with the roma other than the outcast lifestyle, their customs are very different. For instance, gypsies (Iberian) have arranged marriages and usually the girls marry at 12 to +20 guys, this is a common critic against gypsy culture which they they use as a scapegoat for everything.

Here's a clip of some gypsies in action in a portuguese city, no one was arrested because that would have been oppressive :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZiqe9h4KgU

Archived